Bangalore-Based Inventor Develops Low-Cost Device To Test Hearing Ability Of New-Borns

When a baby is born in India, parents usually don’t do infant hearing screen test. There are multiple reasons for it; either the parents are oblivious to such auditory tests, or because the hospitals don’t conduct it, or because the test is too expensive. Usually, the test is conducted a few years after the birth, if the child shows anomalous hearing behavior. According to a study, it is found out that in India only 38% of the medical institutes perform the new-born hearing screening. In order to make the auditory test available and affordable for Indian parents and medical institutes, Bangalore-based inventor, Neeti Kailas, has designed an inexpensive, battery operated, portable device with a belief that the early detection of hearing impairment will be helpful to treat it at early stages.

baby

At present, there are two predominant systems of screening in India. The first one is called Otoacoustic emission (OEA) which is used to detect any blockage in the canal of an outer ear and any damage to outer hair cells in the cochlea. It is conducted by placing a microphone in the infant’s ear, then the sounds are played and an echo from the ear is measured. Second system is Auditory brainstem response (ABR) also known as Auditory evoked potential (AEP) uses disposable electrodes. The test is conducted by placing electrodes on the head and recording brain’s activity in response to the sound. The former is sensitive to outside sounds and does not perform efficiently in India as the environment is generally noisy and the latter costs about INR 5-8 lakhs.

The novel device similar to ABR technology is still in a prototype phase and will most probably be available in the markets in 2017. It is estimated that the new system will be sold at about one-fifth of the price of the ABR equipment. The algorithm for the device is written in such a way that it can work on sleeping babies and there is no need to sedate them. While using the device, the presence of skilled technicians is not required.

Neeti Kailas also planning to conduct hearing screening awareness programs since lack of awareness is another issue along with the cost of the test. The team is also in talks with doctors and experts to understand their concerns.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Vipin Thomas
    Vipin Thomas
    The kid in pic is real cute... 😀

The innovation is cool.. Is this available in market/hospitals?
  • Sharvari Panchbhai
    Sharvari Panchbhai
    Vipin Thomas
    The kid in pic is real cute... 😀

The innovation is cool.. Is this available in market/hospitals?
    It will most probably be available in market by 2017.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    This will be very very helpful.

I have seen cases where kids were diagnosed with the hearing and vision problems and doctor says that had you bring them earlier the disease could have been cured.

I wish something of that sort will come for visionary issues as well.
    For this one...👍

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I am presently working as a software engineer with a MNC in NCR and have 3 years of experience. I am planning to take up some part time/correspondence course....
Batteries with Lithium metal anode is what the modern electronics demand to be more powerful to serve all your future electronic empire. A team of researchers from Stanford University has...
I want to know which are the most unbiased media houses in India and the World. They may be newspaper, Electronic media or any Radio channel or blogs etc. This...
Sir, I'm working as a Manual Tester for 1.3 yrs and love my job. But I'm interested in Penetration Testing. My doubt is if I plan to do a course...
Flipkart will announce $1 billion in fresh funding from its old investors - Tiger Global, DST Global, Accel Partners and others; making it the biggest round of funding EVER by...