Ban industrial tours conducted by engineering colleges: Agree/Disagree?

Following the Himachal Pradesh tragedy that saw 24 engineering college students being washed away in the Beas river, the Government of Telengana is considering a total ban on the industrial tours conducted by engineering colleges. The government opines that the college must be held responsible because it did not provide an authority/guide to travel with the students.

There are two sides to the topic: On one side, all the students were adults who were caught in a situation that left them helpless. On the other, the students shouldn't have entered the river in first place, considering it wasn't safe.

Most of the so called 'industrial tours' are basically 'holiday trips' organised by students and simply 'approved' by the college. The college itself seldom plays any vital role in organising the tour.

Do you think industrial tours conducted by engineering colleges should be banned?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I would never support the view because it's not a sole mistake by college administration but student should be held for it. ARE YOU KIDDING? THERE ARE NOT SMALL CHILDREN TO HOLD THE HANDS WHEREVER THE GO. THEY ARE STUDYING A professional course. They should know their limit.
    I agree that they should appoint certain guide to guide them but if I am not wrong college would have sent two to three teaching professionals with them.
  • Gurjeet Singh
    Gurjeet Singh
    It will not be the solution for the students to stop them planing any trip rather then there should be a work around before planning such kind of trips like check the conditions,security,guide. This happens because in this teen age students taking risks without thinking of outcome.

so every precautions and guidelines should be well aware known to every student by their college authority and mentors should be allocated say to 1:10 to keep eyes of their activity.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    It was different in our times. Tours were to specific locations of interest to the branch. We were taken to Bhilai steel plant in the dead of winter (temp 3 degC), while most us never saw temperatures below 18 degC even in winter. We were all huddled in a shed with inadequate blankets. Two staff members had accompanied us. It was a technically satisfying visit. There was negligible sight seeing.

We also had monthly visits to industries around Vizag, which was very useful as well. In all cases some senior staff used to accompany us.

Properly organized, such tours are necessary.

When I was in Trivandrum a very similar tragedy occurred. One of my colleagues accompanied his friends from dental college to one of the many river valleys that abound in Kerala.The whole gang were gallivanting in the middle of the nearly dry river bed.My colleague came to the shore to pick up something. While he was still hunting around suddenly a wall of water more than two meters high came rushing down and washed off the lot.

Not much came in the media. Because of the speed of water bodies were carried far away and some were not found. These are events beyond regulation. Heavy rains up in the hills led to the flash flood that lasted a few minutes. Soon after, the river was back to the old state.

The college did not arrange the trip. The gang went on their own. The end event is still the same.

Media over does things and drops the news if it ceases to be sensational.

It is important not to throw the baby out with the bath water
  • RVignesh
    RVignesh
    Disagree

Industrial visit must be strictly industrial. Field trip or vacation trips must be carried out with greater care. Whats the point of restricting students within the college walls. In the present tragic scene one cannot solely blame students or college, the dam authority also have a say in this. They must announce or give some indication about water release.
  • Ankit Litoriya
    Ankit Litoriya
    I think its right to bann such tours , because as now we have seen that such tours are only named as industrial tours and do converted into sight seighing tours afterwhile apart from intrested in gaining some knowledge .. students are intrested towards these tours jus coz f such kinda 'joy' .. and college nowadays also on the name of such tours fascinating students to fill their seats ...

If u really intrested for seeing such industry works , in this world od competition there are most of the countries provide onsite industrial visits ... or u can find related companies in range of 200 km from ur destination ... then why the hell is there any need to travel far ( from south to north specially ) and whats the need seeing beautiful sights if u were on your industrial tour.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Creative Labs, a division within Facebook’s domain, conducted 3-day Hackathon in December last year to encourage employees to come up with innovative app ideas which gave rise to the Slingshot...
I'm trying to connect multiple displays (5 LCD TVs) in different rooms via a single Laptop. The basic aim is to be able to control the displays independently i.e. one...
shall we create both windows & android application in .net??? what is the use of studying .net???
Title says it all, my budget is max to max Rs. 1k, however if I can get a good one for less, would really appreciate it. Please help!