Bajaj RE60 Quadricycle Or A Car?

Bajaj says that RE60 is not a car, but a quadricycle that it plans to sell at a much cheaper rate in India and several other countries. The TATAs aren't in favor of allowing 'quadricycles' on Indian roads. Tata Motors MD, Karn Slym recently tweeted - “Why? The Govt.+ industry have been accelerating efforts in traffic safety & environment, now we consider Quadracycle (sic)! Why go backwards?”.

Bajaj RE60 will be launched with great mileage promise: 35 kmpl. The RE60 is powered by a 200cc petrol engine and has top speed of 70 kmph. Note that Tata Nano, the small car, was launched with a promise of about ~25kmpl (23.6 kmpl, to be precise) and we're yet to know of a Nano that's even crossed 20kmpl.

BajajRE60

What I'm wondering is the actual difference between a quadricycle and a small car. RE60 has an engine, a drive-drain and it looks like a car. I wonder what makes BAL (Bajaj Auto Limited) call it a quadricycle and not a car.

The Mechanical / Automobile engineers here may throw some light on it.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This debate has heated up quite a bit.

What is a need of an alternative like a quadricycle, when there are already four-wheeler passenger vehicles available in the country, which meets the safety standards
    says someone from Tata Motors.

I am interested to know - How does a Quadricycle become unsafe? 😕
  • Anand Tamariya
    Anand Tamariya
    AbraKaDabra
    I am interested to know - How does a Quadricycle become unsafe? 😕
    Because they don't get crash tested like "motor vehicles". This article will clear the debate Why rivals become vocal against Bajaj's quadricycle project-Business News , Firstpost .
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Now that it has been labelled as a "quadricycle", BAL can expect the audience, to not expect much from this vehicle than they would from any regular car.

but in that case, i don't think these will sell much, because i feel that people may find it humiliating to ride this even if it was sold cheaper than two wheelers.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    On Wednesday Bajaj has sent a draft gazette notification (for the four-wheeled vehicle) to the law ministry. If the law ministry clears this (I am sure Bajaj will get a clean chit on this), it will get published in the government papers. After that comments will be invited from people.

After this process only, the quadricycle can be launched in Indian market. This whole process is expected to take somewhere 3-5 months. This means the quadricycle by Bajaj will hit Indian market between October 2013 to January 2014.

Do you have lots of expectation from this quadricycle?

-CB
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Anand Tamariya
    Because they don't get crash tested like "motor vehicles". This article will clear the debate Why rivals become vocal against Bajaj's quadricycle project-Business News , Firstpost .
    If this is the case then I am not sure how Nano passed it?
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I think the name Quadricycle is a marketing strategy.I want to know the cc of this vehicle.What may be the approximate value of it?
    Is it a dual seater or a four seater?please share specification if you find sir.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    CSK AUTO
    Is it a dual seater or a four seater?please share specification if you find sir.

Have you checked the first post of this thread?
    Sir sorry . I still want a detailed specification on it such as power , torque , brake system, suspention ,etc.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Here are the Specs
    • Engine : 200cc, water cooled, 4 valve DTS-i
    • Weight: 400 kg (880 lb)
    • Power: About 15 kW (20 hp)
    • CO2 Emissions: 60 g/km
    • Mileage: 35 km/l (99 mpg-imp; 82 mpg-US)
    • Maximum speed: 70 km/h (43 mph)
    • Turning circle radius: 3.5 metres (11 ft)
    • Seating capacity: 2+2,3+1
    The specs look just like a over rated pulsar with extra space

200cc and mileage above 30 with load is some thing which I doubt very much

Do clarify here in that ?
    first thank you for clarifying the specification.Good to see it.What may be the body made up of?Can it withstand any accident.?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Body of it is made up of some METAL POLYMER it seems This made the body 3 times stronger than Auto Rickshaws

SOURCE: #-Link-Snipped-#

Not sure about the next qn But since it is a Quadricycle it would have evaded this accident testing phase for getting license

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My Situation: I'm sort of stuck at the office after my evening shift. It's been raining heavily and I don't have a raincoat. My Question: Once it has stopped raining,...
HI, I have Ubuntu 12.10 installed on my system right now. Now I want to upgrade it to 13.04. But I am little confuse which method will be best to...
I stumbled upon this interesting international project that India is actively involved in. The project is ITER aka International Thermonuclear Experimental Reactor which aims to solve our all energy problems...
Hi, all Iam trying to learn MATLAB. please let me know its future scope. And what are the uses and applications. It is very interesting. I know few basics.
Let me start: 1. Why do the trees keep moving backwards when our car keeps moving forward? 2. Why does it hurt my teeth when I bite on cold ice...