Awesomeness Upgraded! What's New On CE?

CEans,

CE's just got an upgrade and it brings cool new stuff on CE. I'm sure you will discover all these features one by one. But here are a few things to get you started...

1. A new text editor

The editor to compose new post or replies is totally new. It comes with a 'draft save' feature (one of the most requested features) so that you never lose your post! The drafts will be saved automatically every 40 seconds and retained on the site for 24 hours. You will never miss out on the post you composed!

You can directly drag and drop attachments over the editor area and upload attachments.

Plus, the text editor will now appear with all the editing control buttons even on the mobile layout!

By the way - try clicking on the 'Smiley' icon in the editor and see a new, refreshed approach of inserting smilies. We'll be adding a new set of smilies soon ๐Ÿ˜€

2. Updated Mobile Version

The mobile version has been updated. While it's not 100% done yet, we're continuing to make it even better and faster. A few new tweaks are being added to the previous style.

3. More Informative & Useful "Member List"

Just hit the 'Members' tab in the navigation & enjoy the new view!

4. Want to follow a forum & receive alerts? It's possible!

Not just individual discussions, but now you can follow entire 'forum'! That is, if you are interested in 'Robotics' section, you can go to #-Link-Snipped-# and then click the 'watch forum' link.

watch-forum
โ€‹
Once you click on that link, you will be presented with options to choose what kind of alerts you wish to receive. You may choose to receive email alerts as well.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If you are wondering where the 'logout' button is - we're happy to report that it's been removed. There's no way out of CE now! You've been caught!

PS: But you can break out of it by taking your mouse over your username in the navigation and clicking the 'Log Out' link in the overlay.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Brilliant. Good work, Kaustubh. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The resource manager is responsive as well. You may access is easily using Mobile browser.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The new editor looks good, but when it autosaves a text, some lag is noticeable. Loving the way smilies are presented on screen while editing ๐Ÿ˜Ž. Draft save is finally here, happy for that as well.
  • Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    I also appreciate the fact that the wider layout has been removed and the regular one is back.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    I also appreciate the fact that the wider layout has been removed and the regular one is back.
    We didn't make any changes to the layout. Could you explain the change you're noticing?

Satya Swaroop Dash
    The new editor looks good, but when it autosaves a text, some lag is noticeable.
    Need to know more about this. The draft is automatically saved every 40 seconds. There should not be any lag anywhere.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : Please post your feedback here. I've removed the thread you created in the Chit-Chat section.

@#-Link-Snipped-# : This editor is entirely new and has no resemblance with that of the old one. This one produces a cleaner output, is lightweight and has several cool features (drafts, smileys, responsive, faster media embeds and so on).
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Need to know more about this. The draft is automatically saved every 40 seconds. There should not be any lag anywhere.
    I noticed it too. When in the moment the draft gets saved. Like on 40th second, there is a spike on the reply box.

And yes about the layout. the work space which is of three panels, left pane, content and right sidebar, they appear more compressed than before.

Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# : This editor is entirely new and has no resemblance with that of the old one. This one produces a cleaner output, is lightweight and has several cool features (drafts, smileys, responsive, faster media embeds and so on).
    Editor is awesome I must say. It is actually good. Isnt there any way you can add colors to it like the previous one? If not then leave it as it is,we will get used to it in a couple of days.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    And if there is any post while you are typing, it pops in an alert above the reply box. That is WHAT I WANTED. EXCELLENT JOB CE TEAM. Is the webpage dynamic now? continuous sync?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Colors can be added, but that's not a priority for us. We'll consider recoloring sometime in future.

When in the moment the draft gets saved. Like on 40th second, there is a spike on the reply box.
    Needs some explanation. There's a user feedback that says the draft has been saved. Not sure what the 'spike' means here.

If everyone's noticing a lag (needs explanation), please let me know the browser you are using and the exact steps to reproduce it. I've tested this on Windows 7 and Chrome - and things seem to work fine.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Way to go! Didn't get it well from Opera Mini & Firefox. Works fine on Chrome. Awaiting the new tweaks!

;-)

- from Airtel 2G internet, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Kochi, Kerala
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Colors can be added, but that's not a priority for us. We'll consider recoloring sometime in future.

Needs some explanation. There's a user feedback that says the draft has been saved. Not sure what the 'spike' means here.

If everyone's noticing a lag (needs explanation), please let me know the browser you are using and the exact steps to reproduce it. I've tested this on Windows 7 and Chrome - and things seem to work fine.
    Spike means it just lags for that moment. I use Chrome on Win7 too. But not always, it happens sometimes only.

Also there in the resources section, It is compulsorily asking for a resource file. What to do if the resource we are trying to post is some text and not a file?

While typing this message, it didn't lag /spike on draft but the previous time it did.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    anoopthefriend
    Way to go! Didn't get it well from Opera Mini & Firefox. Works fine on Chrome. Awaiting the new tweaks!

;-)

- from Airtel 2G internet, Samsung Galaxy Note 2, Kochi, Kerala
    Is there anything specific that needs attention in Firefox and Opera Mini?

@#-Link-Snipped-# - We are regularizing the resources section, aiming to bring uniformity in it.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    The ribbon under the name looks nice. But Light Blue color on White background, doesn't look good.
    And if you use dark red color for your ribbon, it will look better.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - We are regularizing the resources section, aiming to bring uniformity in it.
    So is it intentional that the option for a resource without any kind of upload file does not appear? Or is it something you will fix. It works for books and all, but if we try to put in any codes / written guide material, it can be a problem
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What I said above. There are irregularities in the resources section that need to be addressed.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Is there anything specific that needs attention in Firefox and Opera Mini?
    Yes, Firefox still loads the old mobile version for me and on Opera Mini there's a lot of lag while clicking on the links (often takes me back to the home page CrazyEngineers).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    anoopthefriend
    Yes, Firefox still loads the old mobile version for me and on Opera Mini there's a lot of lag while clicking on the links (often takes me back to the home page CrazyEngineers).
    I see. I think you'll have to clear cache once to fix that problem. Does clicking on any link takes you to hompage?
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    anoopthefriend
    Damn, you're lucky man. I miss the old version of CE.
    I tested with latest FF, it shows me latest CE mobile version only.

Opera mini is unable to render the website properly.
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I see. I think you'll have to clear cache once to fix that problem. Does clicking on any link takes you to hompage?
    You're right. Clearing the cache fixed things both on Opera Mini and Firefox. However, you need to add more space on the left hand side of the home screen as the date is not clearly aligned on all browsers.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Bug Noticed :

Chrome :
    [โ€‹IMG]

Firefox:
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Abhishek Rawal
    Bug Noticed :

Chrome :
    [โ€‹IMG]

Firefox:
    [โ€‹IMG]
    Strange! I found spectacles on both of those browsers.

However, as I skim through pages - Firefox seems to bring back the old interface in between - kind of like switching between old and new interfaces.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    anoopthefriend
    Strange! I found spectacles on both of those browsers.
    Sorry, forgot to mention.
    I am not talking about smartphone browsers. I saw this in desktop browsers.
  • lal
    lal
    Opera Mini on Symbian
    Quite neat. Should be blaming their remote rendering server for the alignment problems.

Opera Mobile on Symbian
    Very neat. Just awesome! Local rendering brings out the best of the page. I see nothing worth criticising!

The side bar is expanded by default in mobile view. That is quite a good thing for me though it increases the overall length for scrolling.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Wow ! i can see my name in two areas in the "Members tab".
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Hi Kaustubh.Nice and innovative update to the CE forum .
    My feedback-very nice mobile version(In older one I have to go to more and more links to reach my thread but new one has nailed it in front page),simple reply box,faster loading.
    As Nayan Goenka said there should be some coloring to attract us more.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I am now able to see the scores scored by me in the Ceom contest.Bit relaxed that I dont require a laptop to see it only in desktop version.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    +1 for Watch forum ๐Ÿ‘
    Editor theme is not so crisp, Could have better.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Everyone wants a colorful editor, it seems ๐Ÿ˜
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...and you now have a colorful editor, people! ๐Ÿ‘
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    I like most of the things,
    - New Editor the most
    - Click to Expand link (while quoted replies)
    - Responsiveness
    - Watch Thread
    - The way user can update his status at any point of time, by clicking on his username on top right

Things I didn't like:-
    - Clicking on user is taking to next page. Earlier it was good, that we used to get the snapshot and clicking on Profile used to go to the *now* intended page. If you are doing something and click on any user you will taken away from your page, earlier it was just a transparent screen.
    - New Double Ribbon (Staff Member) for admin is good, For others, can't we have one member. Atleast for moderators we should have two, that will look good.
    -What is the use of the delete Draft when we are in editable mode? Nothing, it seems (Not at all working for me atleast), can we remove this so that saving draft would be just a one click job for me, in place of two steps?
    -Yes, AR is right smiles on 'New Post' --> Dashboard are cutting
    - Though Draft feature is awesome, we need to go search our thread where draft is saved, can we find the threads with saved draft in Top right, user menu options?

PS: I just suggested the minor suggestions I felt like, its not the negative feedback.
    New design and features looks Awesome !
    Way to Go !

- CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    crazyboy
    -Yes, AR is right smiles on 'New Post' --> Dashboard are cutting
    Dashboard smilies are cutting on Chrome as well...
    Using version 28.0, win 7,
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ...and you now have a colorful editor, people! ๐Ÿ‘
    Cant see the colorful editor. Its still monochrome for me. Did you already update it?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Nayan Goenka
    Cant see the colorful editor. Its still monochrome for me. Did you already update it?
    Clear cache & reload.

@#-Link-Snipped-# : There's never a need to 'clarify' that the feedback isn't negative. Feedback is meant to improve CE and it's welcome.

It'd be nice if you could explain the 'cutting smiley' issue with a screenshot. I can't reproduce it.

- We'll try to have ribbons for all the members; maybe with some significant post count or the CEoM title winners. Decision is pending.

- Delete draft is logical. Why? Because it retains the post for 24 hours even if you close your browser and login after some time. If you composed a 100 word text - it will be prepopulated in the compose box when you login the next time. If you don't want it - you may choose to delete it. It's a hidden option; so shouldn't interfere in the posting business.

-Clicking the user will take you to the user page only if the JS isn't working on your browser. Otherwise, it should display a pop-up mini-profile.

Other suggestions have been noted.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    @#-Link-Snipped-# -->

Abhishek Rawal
    Bug Noticed :

Chrome :
    [โ€‹IMG]

Firefox:
    [โ€‹IMG]
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - Thanks. I'm checking. Can someone confirm this on a Windows machine, please?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Kaustubh Katdare
    It'd be nice if you could explain the 'cutting smiley' issue with a screenshot. I can't reproduce it.
    Not getting upload picture option, atleast not able to locate that.
    The one replied by AR in other post for FF, is reproducing for me in Chrome

Kaustubh Katdare
    - Delete draft is logical. Why? Because it retains the post for 24 hours even if you close your browser and login after some time. If you composed a 100 word text - it will be prepopulated in the compose box when you login the next time. If you don't want it - you may choose to delete it. It's a hidden option; so shouldn't interfere in the posting business.
    I agree, but for me on chrome, delete draft is not at all working, may be defect?
    and for me, still after the explanation, viewpoint is giving a option to save draft with single click would be awesome.
    Kaustubh Katdare
    -Clicking the user will take you to the user page only if the JS isn't working on your browser. Otherwise, it should display a pop-up mini-profile.
    I am using Chrome, haven't selected any option for disabling JS. Also, it was working for me, before upgrade. anyone else facing this?

-CB
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Abhishek Rawal
    Bug Noticed
    Firefox:
    [โ€‹IMG]
    I am getting this on windows 7, chrome 28
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm already after the bugs. Will update later. Also - the drafts get saved every 40 seconds, which I think is not a big interval. That would even make the 'save drafts' button redundant. It's there in case someone needs it.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    crazyboy
    I am using Chrome, haven't selected any option for disabling JS. Also, it was working for me, before upgrade. anyone else facing this?
    Working fine for me.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The looks are back to previous scale that is it is fitting exactly not the previous wider look which we had from a few weeks back

WIN XP FF
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - Are you sure? We didn't make any change to the layout of the site.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Sure sir right now I am having the issue wait

And I am not able to upload an image here in this thread as well
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    And

PS: who are the robots I am not aware any here in CE till date
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Conqueror
    who are the robots I am not aware any here in CE till date
    crawlers ? like google-spyder.
  • Nayan Goenka
    Nayan Goenka
    Conqueror
    Sure sir right now I am having the issue wait

And I am not able to upload an image here in this thread as well

That is on purpose I think. Since this is announcement section. Not sure still if it is supposed to behave that way. I also am not able to upload image HERE
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Image uploading rights have been restricted in this section.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Thanks for adding "Edit Thread title" feature ๐Ÿ‘
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    ๐Ÿ‘
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I like the way the CE Page is changed. The Apps section is good but currently with only one App i am sure we will increase that number. Next comes the member section. Its so good I mean Its what we wanted ๐Ÿ˜€

Biggie leads everywhere , feeling jealous now running away.
  • A SudhaKar
    A SudhaKar
    Hi Kaustubh,
    Useful updates, but do you not think forum watch & auto save post draft will have more server load.
    I recommend you not to go for mobile version, since i have tried with mobstac offered by google, i remember its called gomo something.
    The script in my site automatically detects the users device and forwards them to the mobile version at m.sitename, but monetization went completely down for me up to 30% immediately.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @#-Link-Snipped-# - Our server is quite powerful to take up all the load and it's continuously being monitored. Our mobile version is responsive design - which means the website rearranges itself to adopt smaller screen sizes. So it's just the same website served in a different layout. That's the reason we don't need to serve it from a different domain / subdomain.

We do not serve ads to logged in members and are working on delivering non-intrusive ads to the mobile users.

It removes all the necessity to install app on various platforms. Dedicated apps are certainly in the plan but we're holding on before we introduce a few cool things on CE in coming days.
  • PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    Redactor!!! <3
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Praveen-Kumar
    Redactor!!! <3
    Yes, it's a customized version of Redactor. I hope the drafts feature is being used by everyone.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I love the draft feature I used it in one other forum and enjoyed the feel of it

Now i am enjoying it here in CE as well way to go
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Logged in from my Samsung Metro Duos phone and the site responds just fine. ๐Ÿ‘

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mitsubishi Pajero has been the most successful model for Mitsubishi in India and Mitsubishi Launched their Sport edition of Pajero a year ago and the company has released its anniversary...
Porsche is ready to unveil its production version of 918 Spyder-Hybrid version of spyder in forthcoming Frankfurt Autoshow to be held at Germany from September 10 to September 22.Before Frankfurt...
Yes guys . its true and official report from karnataka.Its a toyota camry hybrid media drive today held at Karnataka and the company has stated that Toyota camry hybrid is...
Can anyone explain as to what does "concrete class B50" means?
external hard disk is not detected by the computer after the error 'window-delayed error' problem is shown by the hdd??? pls tell me the solution asap...