Audi e-Diesel Is Produced From Water And Carbon Dioxide

Scientists are working on the alternatives of synthetic fuel that could one day replace naturally occurring crude oil. One of the Audi’s project partner and research facility-Sunfire in Dresden, Germany has recently produced the first batches of synthetic diesel called ‘e-diesel’ that is just made from raw materials: water and carbon dioxide (CO2). The pilot plant is using green electrical energy for yielding this high‑quality diesel fuel. In order to demonstrate the potential this liquid fuel for everyday use, Dr. Johanna Wanka, Federal Minister of Education and Research Prof., put five liters of it in her car-Audi A8 (refer below image).

Audi-e-diesel

For producing the Audi e-diesel, researchers first heated the water by using green power until it was converted into steam. The steam was then broken down into hydrogen and oxygen via high-temperature electrolysis. This process involved temperature of more than 800 degrees celsius. Later, under pressure and at high temperature, the separated hydrogen reacts with CO2 in synthesis reactors. As a result of the reaction, a fluid called ‘blue crude’ is yielded from long‑chain hydrocarbon compounds. The blue crude is then refined for producing the final product Audi e‑diesel. This synthetic diesel does not contain any traces of sulfur and aromatic hydrocarbons, which makes it better for use than fossil fuel. Moreover, the e‑diesel has high cetane number. According to the team, the efficiency of the overall process is around 70 percent. As per the analysis, the fuel can also be mixed with conventional fossil diesel.

The above video demonstrates how the first few litres were abstracted from water and CO2. The pilot plant is capable of making up to 160 L (42.2 gallons) of blue crude per day. Sunfire-CTO Christian von Olshausen mentioned in a statement that the technology can be commercialized if they get the first sales order.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#| #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Indian smartphone manufacturer Intex has added a new product to its Aqua series, Aqua Power+. This flagship from the company has been announced at same price as that of its...
I have posted this query many times but didn't get any expert advice i expected. I am a mechanical engineer and will be leaving my job from next month. Job...
Hi guys, I need suggestion. Do u guys have some innovative ideas. Well I want to develope game same as that of clash of clans. Plz suggest me how can...
Hello everybody! can anyone really help me to how to learn dynamic programming!!
Wishing one of the strongest force on CrazyEngineers @A.V.Ramani a very very happy birthday! 😁🎉 He joined CrazyEngineers on April 2nd, 2011. It's been 4 really awesome years of interacting...