AT&T's Latest Project AirGig To Deliver Lightning Fast Internet At Low Cost

An intellectual property of AT&T, project AirGig has just kicked off its journey on opening a transmission line based broadband connection for the whole world. While statistically a lot of peer brains are devoting their lives to brush the futuristic optical technologies, the company has come forward to prove that the old power lines are conveniently relevant since they already EXIST. The project is currently undergoing experimentation phase and promises to support both wired and wireless networks. As of now, the first field roll out is scheduled in 2017.

Talking about its significance, John Donovan, chief strategy officer and group president of Technology and Operations, AT&T has emphasized that the contemporary technologies fail to guarantee global network. Comparing to that, Project AirGig has performed well and comes with a cost effective solution. Boasting of 100 patents, the company press release claims that the project itself is unique. The R&D cell has already tinkered with multiple ways to pass through a modulated radio signal around or near medium-voltage power lines. Surprisingly, they do not require direct guiding systems and still optimally announce multi-gigabit speeds in urban, rural and unprivileged areas.

Project_AirGig

Can we tag it as a technical blow to the Google's Project Loon Faces Snag In India Due To Probable Cellular Network Interference and #-Link-Snipped-# project? Surely, it involves a lesser known aspect and needs no tethered-fiber. Plus it does not involve any underground cable, it will not cost one to hire a tower. What it suggests is a distributed antenna system. To have a smooth run, the company has devised their own low cost plastic antennas and instruments that are placed along the lines and revitalize mm-Wave signals to power an earlier deployed 4G LTE and 5G networks.

The technology involves wider involvement of smart-grid applications, inclined to benefit utility companies, accurately predict line-integrity issues and asks for less hardware. Why go with other large scale network development? Moreover, AT&T has started business yesterday itself with 1 gigabit per second speeds over their 1 million miles of AT&T fiber in 29 markets. They promise to change the existing one with millimeter wave once the system is fool proof.

Lastly, they are in the process of opening a virtual router system, which is available but are commercially less known. They said, just like CDs are replaced with Music apps, their network gear will turn into software running on servers. The team hopes to achieve 75% completion of their proposed work to be done by 2020 and their patent software defined network architectures syncs with todays on demand services like augmented reality, virtual reality, self-driving cars, telemedicine and 4K mobile video. The project is all about equating the same share with all.

Meet project AirGig, a revolutionary idea of AT&T

Source: AT&T Labs’ Project AirGig Nears First Field Trials for Ultra-Fast Wireless Broadband Over Power Lines

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I can produce ac power, without physical movement of magnetic field. For this purpose I can redesign ac motor. Like in case of Hydro Turbine, my designed motor would have...
Google Photos is one of the most used photo storage and sharing solutions used around the world. Mostly it has to the fact that it is linked with our favourite...
is there any chance to get a job for the person who have below 60%(55-60) aggregate in BE?
I sign up on this forum just looking for help 😉 because my daughter is enrolled in a STEM Academy and she have a homework that is due on this...
Remember the Lenovo Zuk Z2 which was launched in China recently? The mid-range smartphone has arrived in India with a slight change in name as the Lenovo Z2 Plus on...