Artificial Earthquakes To Help Build Safer Buildings

Engineers have rolled up their sleeves to create artificial earthquakes - with an aim to develop techniques to build sturdier and safer buildings & structures. A team of structural and civil engineers from Johns Hopkins University are going to shake themselves up using massive moving platforms to simulate the earthquake. They'll test how a two-story building made of cold-formed steel can stand up to a lab-generated earthquake that resembles the Southern California quake. The testing will be done at the facility in New York which would mark the culmination of a 3 year long project with over $1 million in investments.

slide

The test facility is a 50ft x 20ft x 20ft tall. The trials will be done in mid-August and the engineers will try to create earthquake similar to the 1994 Northridge earthquake in Los Angeles that claimed several lives and damage worth billions of dollars.

They will use the observations and data collected to improve the building codes that will make the upcoming cold-formed steel buildings less expensive to construct and also more reliable. The team says that it's the first time a building of a cold-formed steel framing will be shaken in this way. This would lead to tracking even the minor changes that may have huge impact in the building design.

Via: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    More and more researches were undertaken to fight nature but we will find one day that we all are dust before nature.
    We want to live altogether with nature than to fight it.
    All the destruction has its root cause as "human failure".As man build house over a non building site or earthquake prone area.We knew the effects yet we build over the area where building is danger.Many would oppose me but nature is tge ulitimate power.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here's a fun question for all of you. If you were to make a 'one way' trip to Mars and the space agency says that you can carry only 3...
If you look closely at the products produced today, how would you decide whether to buy it or not. Would you just look at the functionality or also on the...
I have played few console games & i noticed that the FPS of game stays around 28-30 FPS only. While, In PC gaming, slight change is seen between 30 &...
It is well known that there are often more than one way of solving any problem. Same is the case with Oracle SQL. It is possible almost to write any...
I am changing the config file in RPi. I want to set display resolution to 1360x768 which is closer to my monitor's 1366x768. It is in hdmi_group=2 & hdmi_mode=39 (&...