Artificial Cell Membrane Capable Of Continual Growth Like Living Cells

A team of researchers from UC San Diego have made it possible for an artificial cell to mimic an important characteristic of a living cell that makes them capable of sustaining continual growth. The team consisting of biologists and chemists have become successful in synthesising an artificial cell that replicates the behaviour of more complex organisms such as living cell membranes. One of the major achievements of the team is that they've made the synthetic cell adapt its composition in response to an environmental cue. Till date, scientists have been able to have lipids self-assemble into bilayer vesicles. However, it is the first time that an artificial cell can self-form the persistent phospholipid membrane in a continual manner. In other words, the artificial cell can form new catalytic membranes on its own.

cellmembranes
[numbers correspond to minutes of duration]​

In a paper published by the team, it has been noted that to have the system transform high-energy building blocks into new synthetic membranes, they replaced the complex biochemical pathway network with a single autocatalyst, which essentially drives the sustainable membrane growth.

This indefinite self synthesis is a result of the provision of simpler chemical building blocks to the more complex lipid membranes.

In a demonstration time-lapse video captured over a period of 12 hours, the team shows how the membrane's surface area and vesicle volume increases at 60-second intervals. Do take a look -

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• IMAEKHAI RICHARD
    IMAEKHAI RICHARD
    cul

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Imagine a swarm of ant-robots carrying strands of threads to build a nest. That could become a reality with the research presented by a team of engineers from Iowa State...
Protecting the world's largest online social network from malware is the top priority of the security engineers at Facebook. The job involves removing all the malicious links; the ones that...
I am not good in coding. but I want to do android programming. how I will be able to do that?
Quote: Alankar Jain recently graduated with a Dual Degree from the Department of Electrical Engineering, IIT Bombay. He’s been involved in various activities during his time in the institute, and...
Hai, I am new here. Currently i am working in windows networking side and having 2 years of experience. I have completed engineering in computer science. Last one or two...