Are you fast enough to solve this in 60 seconds?

PUZZLE
---------
John walk upwards on an escalator, with a speed of 1 step per second. After 50 steps, he was at the end. He turned around and ran downwards with a speed of 5 steps per second. After 125 steps, he returned at the beginning of the escalator.

Can you help John finding out how many steps he needed if the escalator would have stood still?

a)125
b)100
c)200
d)none

stay tuned for more puzzles in future..

Replies

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
  • micheal john
    micheal john
    none
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    b) 100 is correct answer.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Rajni Jain
    b) 100 is correct answer.
    Explanation please, I think equation should be.
    50/(x-1) = 125/(5-x) where x is speed of elevator.
  • Rajni Jain
    Rajni Jain
    Upwards (along with the escalator), you walk 1 step per second. You need 50 steps, so that takes 50 seconds. This gives the following equation:

L steps - 50 seconds × v steps/second = 50 steps.
    Downwards (against the direction of the escalator), you walk 5 steps per second. You need 125 steps, so that takes 25 seconds. This gives the following equation:

L steps + 25 seconds × v steps/second = 125 steps.
    From the two equations follows: L = 100, v = 1. When the escalator stands still, you need 100 steps.

• Dave Jenkins
    Dave Jenkins
    Can you explain how you arrive at the following conclusion from the two equations 'From the two equations follows: L = 100, v = 1. When the escalator stands still, you need 100 steps.' please.
  • Vidyut_Vikas
    Vidyut_Vikas
    Rajni Jain
    PUZZLE
    ---------
    John walk upwards on an escalator, with a speed of 1 step per second. After 50 steps, he was at the end. He turned around and ran downwards with a speed of 5 steps per second. After 125 steps, he returned at the beginning of the escalator.

Can you help John finding out how many steps he needed if the escalator would have stood still?

a)125
    b)100
    c)200
    d)none

stay tuned for more puzzles in future..
    100 steps.. the ans is b)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am trying to build indoor positioning system using wireless LAN's. I need to deploy a map of my indoor area into android application same as in Google maps... But...
Is anyone good at python here? Need some help! please leave a comment if you know the language!
So, the launch of Reliance Jio 4G service has gripped the nation. A lot of people look pretty impressed by the 49 mbps download speed and 9 mbps upload that...
Canon India has brought its latest G-series camera model with Canon Powershot G16 in India. The 12.1 megapixel high sensitivity CMOS digital camera features a DIGIC 6 processor and 5x...
This may not be an ideal debate topic; however I'm posting it in a debate topic because it's a generic one. The question is should we really promote our Facebook,...