Are we becoming disempowered individuals in the modern world?

I was reading a book the other day that got me thinking about how so many people are unable to take charge of their lives, (despite or due to) the availability of knowledge and technology at their finger tips. In most areas, people tend to cede the control to others (people or machines). Intense specializaion has lead most of the human kind to know MORE and MORE about Less and Lesser.

Take for example an employee of any company, who works very hard at whatever he is assigned/supposed to do. He thinks he is a small cog in a giant wheel. He works diligently with little appreciation for how he contributes in the bigger picture. Now, this employee could be the CEO or a fresher. It's the exact opposite of 'often', that people feel "empowered" for doing things in the true sense.

Individuals also seem to have NO control over how their work impacts the society or the world, let alone their own health. Food companies decide what we eat; Pharmaceutical companies decide what medicine we take, Entertainment companies decide what we watch on YouTube or TV and Pollution regulation authorities decide what air we breathe.

Educational organizations are there to super-specialize or super-generalize the entire crowd of students - leading them to jobs they have no clue about. Most of our 'knowledge' comes from the advertising magazines/billboards, political blabbermouths, corporate propaganda and very less often there are the rare pears of genuine wisdom (restricted to the luckier few among us).

Everyone keeps telling us that we are all "BETTER EQUIPPED" than ever before to do things, then why is it that we see so many disempowered individuals who have absolutely no control over their lives, their families, their work and the social context in general. Does this mean that the 'system' controls us, when it should be the other way round?
Let the engineers here speak.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Most often the trouble arises from ourselves externalizing our life. If one internalizes and is at peace with herself/himself, then there is content. There is no rat race, no keeping up with the Joneses or going with the herd.
    Specialization can put a spanner in the works by circumscribing one's interests.
    Nothing wrong with specializing so long as one is firmly rooted in general basic competence.
    If technology is firmly kept in place as a tool and not allowed to overwhelm us we will be alright.
    Else FB, Whatsapp and the rest of them will dictate our lives.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

electrical related business with good groth prospects in future i m sarthak khanna, b.e. EEE from MIT, MANIPAL. i would like to start a manufacturing unit i have capital and...
Him guys Being a new user I want to collect some important view from your end ,in today market every one want to be a engg doc MBA these are...
Straight in boring, curve is in. After curved Ultra High Definition TVs, smartphones and smartwatches, Samsung has introduced a Curved Soundbar. Samsung HW-H7500 and H7501 are the world’s first TV-matching...
👍 Great quote to start the day I believe- "When life gives you lemons, don't make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don't want your damn...
Google Glass can now detect whether the person you are looking at is sad, happy, angry, excited or nervous with the help of a very innovative app called SHORE aka...