Are online classrooms the future of schools and colleges?

I am wondering if online classrooms are the future of schools and colleges. Bill Gates and his philanthropic arm is making huge investments to promote online education. While we can make arguments for and against the overall usefulness or effectiveness of online education; no one can deny that it's an excellent business opportunity. You will see the big businesses pushing for education delivered online - through distance education courses, courses delivered over mobiles and tablets and in near future using virtual reality.

I do not deny the advantages online education offers: you get the opportunity to learn from the best people from the world, you can repeat the course as many times you want, learn any time convenient to you, learn from anywhere in the world without needing to travel and so on. But what worries me is that it will take the human element out of the entire learning process.

For me, it's the friendships I made during my school days continue to be lot more important and relevant than confirming Pythagoras was right by proving his theorems using steps dictated by school teacher. I'm not comparing apples and oranges; but citing just an example (may not be an apt one) to stress my point that social element is a HUGE one. I've tried learning Guitar using online courses but it doesn't come anywhere close to going to my Guitar class, spending time with my tutor, interacting with him and learning from him.

Love it or hate it, mega corporations are going to push for online classrooms because it will make money for them. But do you think 50 years from now, the education will primarily be delivered online? Will it just be as effective?

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I think we are heading in the online way of learning things.

What i think will happen is- the same case happens in west, in few colleges if maths is taught by 5 professors i can choose my teacher. Similarly what might happen is we will have online classes going on and students will attend it in a school.

Since, students cannot understand everything 100% all the times they will have teachers to clear doubts etc.

So what i think is, if used correctly the level of education and the insight into practical education will grow if we employ this in schools properly.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    I did my MS via online classes and yes, It helped a lot.
    Also, online classes are recorded by default so, it is reusable a proof of quality *teaching* 😁.

Totally agree with this.
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    if used correctly the level of education and the insight into practical education will grow if we employ this in schools properly.
    Even 2-3 year kids are learning more from YouTube channel than what parents are teaching offline. They can easily learn poems, numbers and alphabets.

But do you think 50 years from now, the education will primarily be delivered online?
    My vote is definitely yes. Even I say 20 yeas max. In 50 years probably everyone will be present in virtual classroom with their holographic image 😁.
    But at the same time, offline classes will not be obsolete 100% .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Participate in Kaun banega SEO and stand a chance to win a cash prize of Rs 5,000. College :New Delhi Institute of management Event name : Spandhan2015 For further details...
Quote: Whilst some technologies have success written all over them from the moment they’re born, others are a little harder to envisage taking off: the Sinclair C5, Google Glass and...
I love the outdoors, rain or shine. The trees and their winged denizens chirping away makes you feel one with nature. Looking up at the night sky at the march...
The world's most popular instant messaging application WhatsApp seems to be in a bit of a trouble. A Dutch university student Maikel Zweerink has found out a critical flaw in...
Popular car manufacturer Volkswagen is about to add a new sedan in the Indian market. The company is expected announce the Volkswagen Jetta Facelift on February 17. The sedan will...