Are 'Brainprints' a strong and reliable alternative to computer passwords?

Brainprints are brain's unique brainwaves that correspond to audio-visual inputs. It looks like brainprints aka brainwaves are the answer to the problem of passwords - which have become easier to guess with the modern hacking and cracking techniques. Even the biometric systems like fingerprints and iris scan are prone to theft. Researchers have been trying hard to find out the best mechanism to minimise the user action while authenticating themselves through a mechanism that is extremely secure.

I came across an experiment by Binghamton University. Researchers read out a list of acronyms like DVD, FBI to about 45 participants while monitoring their brainwaves. The researchers found out that each person's brainwaves responded differently to the acronyms and allowed identification of each individual with an accuracy of about 94%. What impressed the researchers that the identification remained unaffected over time as individual brainwaves responded the same to the acronyms even after a gap of six months.

One of the major advantages of this technique is that the brainwaves can't be stolen and duplicated. Researchers do not propose this system for lower security applications for regular users. It's going to look very weird when you've to get your EEG ready just to login to your secure email. The applications could be useful at high-security areas where only authorised persons have access to important information.

I however believe that similar systems will become commonplace in coming days. There will be devices that will take into account your face, iris, voice, fingerprint data in order to uniquely identify you. Brainwaves could just be one of these parameters.

Replies

• pratap singh, upendra
    pratap singh, upendra
    The technology looks futuristic but then there are some potholes that look a bit fishy.'

'Even the Bio metric systems like fingerprints and iris scan are prone to theft'.
    • If the bio-metric systems are compromised then it means that there are some soft computing and mathematical methods using which one can get one pattern from another by some optimization method. Well, this is a serious stuff because then even the brain waves could be digitally processed to get one waveform from another.
    • For this happens given the competence of MATLAB, then the power of these brain waves would plumage into nothing.

'What impressed the researchers that the identification remained unaffected over time as individual brainwaves responded the same to the acronyms even after a gap of six months.'
    • Also the researchers must find out the longevity of these passwords and their variation with respect to time or mood of the person at the time of reading.
    Do let me know if this kind of security mechanism has ever been implemented somewhere.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Remember the time when Nokia used to make durable feature phones for the masses? We do and so do the adoptive parents of the Finnish company. Microsoft, for the first...
If you haven't updated your Skype application today, you should do it right now. Especially, if you are using Skype on Windows, Android or iOS platforms; Skype will crash if...
hi sir.. i have just done with my last sem engineering exam.I am from electronics and telecommunications stream.I am intrested in software development.I have now taken admission in an institute...
Hi everyone, I am an ECE graduate from 2014 batch. I am currently working in IT industry from last 10 months. But I am intensely frustated and not at all...
Anybody with a clear and concise definition of Engine Load?