Are 3G GPRS and Regular 3G Networks Different?

I was browsing Idea Cellular website yesterday and they seem to have introduced new plans. While customising my own pack, I found that they're offering something called "3G GPRS". I quickly searched but couldn't find anything that talked about it. Can someone quickly clarify if the regular 3G that we use is different from 3G GPRS?

Replies

• a.alandkar
    a.alandkar
    Kaustubh 3G and 3G GPRS is the same thing. The thing is generally the 3G terminology is used for the voice n/w and the 3G GPRS is used for data n/w thats it.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Yeah, There is no technical meaning for "3G GPRS" but they might be using that word to attract those people who has only 3G word in mind and this 3G GPRS is going to attract them in the sense of Fast GPRS.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thanks, #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# . I think it'd repel a few visitors like me who'd think that they're just fooling people in the name of 3G GPRS; by offering a little bit faster than 2G speeds.

Good to know 3G and 3G GPRS are the same. I hope other CEans will find this discussion useful.
  • Bhrigu Malhotra
    Bhrigu Malhotra
    Actually its not 3G GPRS, they are just fooling people its just a faster 2G GPRS and in 3G there is HSDPA or HSPA or HSPA+ (Depends upon operators and GSM and CDMA). 3G includes High Speed including Video Calling and better Reception. You all must have noticed while using a 3G in dongle it oftens heats up very fast as the data flow is much much higher as compared to other. Its just nothing just 2G only and Idea provides the worst 3G network I have used. The best is Airtel, Vodafone and MTNL/BSNL(If network reception is good and you want an unlimited 3G Data).
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I think we're leading to a debate. Inviting #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# to the discussion table.
  • Bhrigu Malhotra
    Bhrigu Malhotra
    Well you can start a debate related to phone technology and I'll be there in it.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    GPRS is a 2G technology, may be they are referring to EDGE as 3G GPRS - a business gimmick
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    I have a doubt here. My phone Online Shopping India | Buy Mobiles, Electronics, Appliances, Clothing and More Online at Flipkart.com GT-I9192 Dual SIM phone doesn't have 3G Calling because my Idea 3G SIM does not work on it. Morever, the Flipkart Online Shopping India | Buy Mobiles, Electronics, Appliances, Clothing and More Online at Flipkart.com to the phone shows that it lacks the Operating Frequency of 2100 (UMTS).

However, there is interestingly 3G Internet and Connectivity available (42 Mbps HSDPA; 5.76 Mbps HSUPA) as shown on Flipkart.

Really don't understand what they meant by this! Is this a 3G Data only scenario? If so, WTF is that?

Cross Reference:
    1. #-Link-Snipped-# [Here also its mentioned about 3G]
    2. Samsung I9190 Galaxy S4 mini - Full phone specifications [Look for GT-I9192]
    3. S4 Mini Flipkart

Fun Fact: Almost all other models below the price range of S4 Mini 'has' that UMTS 2100 Frequency range. And I just had to buy this phone for the compact look and 'sleekness'!!!!😐😡

P.S: Some purchases just bite you back! {Samsung Experience | Reminder to All!}
  • lal
    lal
    As of what I know, HSPA (HSDPA plus HSUPA) is an upgraded UMTS, like EDGE is to GPRS. Both are 3G, but with different capabilities, HSPA having the upper hand. HSPA enhances data transfer rates in a 3G network. Well, there is a next version to HSPA, that is HSPA+, with even better data transfer rates.

Communication experts should be able to explain better.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I was browsing Idea Cellular website yesterday and they seem to have introduced new plans. While customising my own pack, I found that they're offering something called "3G GPRS". I quickly searched but couldn't find anything that talked about it. Can someone quickly clarify if the regular 3G that we use is different from 3G GPRS?
    Tried searching for it on their website, couldn't find it. Maybe they removed it. Like Durga said, most likely a gimmick (albeit a really poor one).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It was only last month that Indonesia exclusively witnessed the launch of Blackberry Z3 smartphone in special Jakarta edition. Priced at 2,199,000 IDR (or approximately Rs. 11,435 or USD 190),...
HI Folks, I was a very reqular member of this site few years back. Good to see new members/ fourums. Feels good to be here again.
ideaForge was founded by a team of IIT Bombay grads (Ankit Mehta, Rahul Singh, Ashish Bhat, Amardeep Singh) and Vipul Joshi. Ankit Mehta completed his B.Tech and M.Tech in Mechanical...
After announcing the 10-year project of developing a supersonic car on 23 October 2008 at the Science Museum in London, RAF fighter pilot Andy Green and the team comprising of...
Fellas! We are happy to announce that following are the names of - 10 lucky winners @Rachel Caroline @Basil John @Deepika Bansal @RVignesh @Neeraj Sharma @S.mukherjee @Aadit Kapoor @Chintan Umarani...