Archival Disc Promises 300 GB To 1TB Of Long Term Data Storage

Say hello to the Archival Disc - a new Sony & Panasonic To Launch 300 GB Optical Discs By 2015 that promises long term data storage. A single archival disc (AD) will store about 300GB to 1TB of your digital empire reliably. The Archival Disc format has been jointly developed by Sony and Panasonic and have been stressing on the non-HDD format for greater resistance to temperature and humidity variations. The current roadmap for the new format indicates that Sony and Panasonic will launch the 300 GB storage discs by summer 2015 and increase the capacity to about 500 GB and then to 1TB in coming years.

The optical discs (vis. CD, DVD and BluRay) have been known for their resistance to dust and water and changes in environmental conditions; however all of them have very limited storage capacities which do not fulfill the needs of current generation. For example a minute long 4K resolution video shot at 24 FPS at RGB: 4:4:4 color model and color depth of 12 bits/color would require about 28 GB of storage (#-Link-Snipped-#). Both the companies recognize that the storage demands are only going to follow geometric progression in coming days and Archival Disk might just solve the problem of local storage to some extent.

archival-disc-logo

Both the participating companies have successfully worked on producing the Blu-ray format and plan to use their know-how to develop this new format. It's not clear what the expected life of an Archival Disc is; but it surely is going to be a few decades. It'd be interesting to see how successful this new format will be; because its success will depend on the mass adoption of the AD disc writers. We believe Sony and Panasonic understand the need of producing budget-friendly disc writers. The companies may follow a different strategy altogether and may only make the discs available in write-once and read-only format. That might mean your next full-HD or 2K movie will ship on ADs.

AD-Roadmap

The future of the optical discs has been debated on several platforms. Apple has already discarded the New Macbook Pro And iMac May Do Away With Optical Drives and has adopted cloud storage. At the same time, newer technologies are being developed that allow the Blu-Ray disc storage capacity upped to 100 Gb, for 4K friendly videos to be upped to about 100GB. A new research is aiming to solve the problem of storage forever; by developing a Silicon-Nitried / Tungsten based HDDs will store data for a million years at leastthat can last for million years!

Do you think ADs will be successful? Share your thoughts below.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    This is officially the Blu-ray successor! 😲

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A team of researchers from Microsoft has come up with a new technology called 'SurroundWeb' that lets you convert your entire room into a display that can be interacted with....
How can i do cloud computing for an E-learning application by cloudsim as a project
Hi, my name's Arial Salvator. I'm IT engineer and into programming and networking. I do some C,C++,C# and Java projects as an Occupation but i want to make improve on...
how can we generate a voltage of 10Mwatt from microwave of 2.5Ghz ? plz reply fast its urgent....
Hello Ceans I was placed in Mphasis 2014 batch and got the letter of intent also recently.HR told us that we will be in the Application team. Could any one...