Approach involved while solving below questions

First question.. ,ques no,in this question actually i am not able to understand the approach involved..

Second question.. ques 20 ,In this ques according to me answer should be 2 but answer is 3.,so plz help

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm tempted to tag #-Link-Snipped-# who cracked all such questions and went to IIM Indore. I always got severe headaches upon reading those questions.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    I'd say that the solution sheet is wrong 😀

Regarding the first question (money order), its a simple equation. commission = (floor((x - 0.01)/10) + 1 )/2 ... use this formula on both the amounts (71 and 47). You will get the answer (correctly marked)

Regarding the second question, for 11 coins, lets say in the first round X picks x1 and Y picks y1. so for X to win, we know that
    11 - x - y <= 6 (since X is smart and wants to finish the game in the second round)
    11 - x - y > 1 (at the end of one round, at least 1 coin is remaining)
    and x <= 5, x >= 1
    and y <= 5, y >= 1

I'd guess x to be 4 (since that way, whatever Y picks, X can pick just the right amount to keep just 1 coin in the 2nd round). Which brings me to why I think the soln sheet is wrong.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    ☕ ...I'll envy you for my life, #-Link-Snipped-# .
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The coin problem has multiple solutions: 2, 3 and 4 are all valid. In my opinion the question is wrongly worded. If it were: "How many should he not pick up in the beginning to ensure a win no matter what strategy Y adopts?" the answer would be 5.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Attify, a Mobile Security Services and Training company, was founded by Aditya Gupta and Hrishikesh Kumar in the year 2013. Attify is based in Bangalore, India. Aditya Gupta is an...
Microsoft is working on a smartwatch and it's got a heart rate monitor too. Nothing exciting, right? According to a report published in Forbes, Microsoft's smart watch will work with...
public class qu11 { int fun(int num) {int count=0; while(num>0) { count++; num<<=1; } return count; } public static void main(String aa[]) { qu11 obj=new qu11(); int output= obj.fun(435); System.out.println(output);...
Hello everyone. 😀 I am a second year student and I want to learn some designing. AutoCAD or Solid Edge? Which is better ? I am intrested in solid edge...
The latest entrant to the sub-Rs. 5000 Android smartphone range in India is the all-new Intex Aqua Style X Smartphone that features Android 4.4 KitKat OS and a 4.5-inch touchscreen...