Apply for New Airtel & Vodafone connections with Aadhaar Card

Vodafone has already been accepting the Aadhaar Card (the part of UIDAI project) for the new mobile applications in Hyderabad and Vijaywada. But the real big adoption of the new Aadhaar (digital identity card) is now coming from Airtel which has announced that it will accept the card as identity proof for the new mobile connection applications. What this means is filling out lengthy application forms and attaching truckloads of documents and identity and residence proof would soon become a thing of past. Airtel's starting Aadhaar enabled eKYC (electronic Know Your Customer) services in Delhi. The service will be rolled out to other important cities in India soon.

Nandan Nilekeni (ex-Infosys CEO) has been leading the project for a few years now and the UIDAI project is one of its kind. It aims to provide a unique identification number to all the citizens of India.

The mobile outlets will be equipped with a special machine for the processing of the Customer Acquisition Forms (CAFs) connected with biometric scanners. While making a new application, the subscriber will have to touch the biometric scanner so that the fingerprint can be verified with a central repository of all the identities collected by the Aadhaar team. The system will verify the user and once successfully authenticated, Airtel will issue the new SIM card to the user.

Airtel adopting the new identification system is going to be a big step in popularising of the Aaadhaar project. We recently informed you that Airtel has become the #-Link-Snipped-# with a subscriber base of about 250 million. We expect other players like Idea Cellular, Reliance and Tata Docomo to follow the suit. We hope to see the mobile applications going paperless.

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I have UID but never used it though.
    Keen to see & use this service soon in Gujarat.
    Sounds more like NFC with better security (Just saying)
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I've my own doubts about Security. The biggest drawback seems to be the central repository of the identities. If a hacker somehow gets access to it; then they'll have enough information to feed them for life. They project leaders have been investing in powerful data centers though. But any network will always remain vulnerable to attacks and a project of this size surely attracts hackers and crackers.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Yeah I agree with Biggie but is there a way of decentralising the data

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

And what is mean by the clock signal? Because it is just high or low right?
LG executive has confirmed in an Interview that the LG Nexus Phone with Android 4.2 Key Lime Pie is coming to India by the end of November. There's no word...
I am interested in processor design, and I would like to know how many transistors are in the average processor designed in the last year or so is, and how...
Well i an talking about those machines , made by various manufacturers such as carrier, bluestar and usha. these machines have a provision by which a water tank (commercially available)...
The TV lovers who don't want to miss out on the power of Internet will be delighted to know that Samsung ES9000 , the 75" Smart TV has been launched...