Apple Is Building High Speed Data Network For Content Delivery

Apple is building a high-speed data network for faster content delivery, reports #-Link-Snipped-#. The move could be Apple's answer to the growing competition from rivals like Amazon, Google and Microsoft in the cloud computing domain. People familiar with the development have informed that so far, Apple has relied on traditional networks to deliver their services. The new network will help Apple provide better content delivery and user experience to the consumers of various services like iCloud, Siri and iTunes.

At the WWDC 2015, Apple unveiled the Beats 1 global online radio service. It's important that the music gets delivered to the consumers glitch-free. The industry insiders also are sure that Apple will announce their Apple TV service later this year. Apple would need to control the medium that's used for the delivery of their services as it's pivotal to the company obsessed with offering great user experience.

Apple would approach content delivery by building a faster network and upgrading their existing infrastructure. Apple would also be focusing on newer technologies that would enable faster and more efficient data centers; and is ready to spend billions. The master plan would be to connect and control the data centers across four major cities in the US. Apple's got their top talent working on building better fibre networks to deliver hundreds of gigs per second.

Apple-High-Speed-Network
Apple announced 'Beats 1' Online Radio Yesterday

The main reason why most tech giants want to control the delivery is that they want to be the de facto platform where you host and manage your entire digital life - including files, photos, videos, meeting notes, presentations, apps and everything that can be stored virtually. Also, Apple can't rely on their party service providers when they start their TV service. If there's a spike in traffic, Apple won't want to dial Amazon and ask them to triple the bandwidth immediately. As a part of this initiative, Apple's joined the Open Compute Project.

Apple has not officially commented on the update yet.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

My gov has started a competition for designing a mobile app for @PMOIndia, the winning team will be awarded a Sponsored trip (by Google India) to the Unites States of...
The wi-fi signal can do much more than Internet delivery and wireless content transfer. Prof. Yasamin Mostofi, from UCSB is aiming to replace roll calls forever with Wi-Fi signals. Mostofi...
LG has recently taken wraps off its 4K monitor, which it claims to be the fastest among its peers in the market today. This UHD monitor from the South Korean...
Hi, I'm a .net developer for the past 4 years. I would like to change to Performance/Automation testing. Where should I start from? Guide me please.
China has established a space debris monitoring centre that will continuously scan the sky for unwanted stuff. The centre will ensure that no space junk hits Chinese spacecrafts orbiting around...