Any business ideas for mechanical engineers in India?

I never fully understood the concept behind not sharing ideas for the fear of them getting stolen, when you yourself are going to do nothing about it for lack of resources or confidence or skills. As engineers we are always bubbling with new ideas that can help our society. These ideas have the potential to become a business plan for somebody. If there are engineers out there who are enthusiastic about starting their own venture, possess the skills and tools required to start up a new company, why hold them because of lack of ideas. Dedicating this discussion to sharing ideas for business for mechanical engineering startups.

Now let's be clear here that we aren't focusing on core mechanical engineering business ideas. We can have a blend of different worlds. For instance, the domains covered here can be: Mechatronics, Clean Energy, Sustainable construction design, Solar power startups, Robotics and Automation, Mechanical engineering training etc.

Hoping that this discussion becomes an idea hub. Hoping that ideas presented here can generate newer ideas and build solutions that the country needs.

I will set the ball rolling..

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Starting with the most basic options that anyone can find a connect with. These are framed from the most common things we find around us. If you are a mechanical engineer, you can use these ideas to earn extra side-income while studying or it's just something you can pursue part-time.

From the top of my head, here are some ideas:

Waste Management Machine Designing & Installation
    You can do a survey in the area you live and find out how the waste is being disposed in your area. Once you have enough information about how waste is collected, where it is disposed of and how it is segregated, you can design, plan and construct machines that make waste disposal and recycling easy.

Mechatronics based products - build and sell
    This field literally means the best of both worlds. If you have taken a dig into electronics and have found yourself having a flair for it, mechantronics opens a wide arena of options for building a startup. Using skills from both domains, you can create products in your own house that are innovative and solve a key problem around you.
    For example:
    • Create a wearable device for the blind.
    • Create a smart walker as a solution for helping elderly and disabled people walk.
    Make sure that your solution (your product) can be constructed for cheap and is sellable as a product in the market.

Build solar panels and install them in your area
    Alternative energy source products ares the hottest in the startup world. You can come up with an idea to build solar panels cheaply in your own room and sell them in your area. You will need to plan a lot, calculate the need, determine the costs. It's a lot of hard work.

Build solutions for supply chain management
    As a mechanical engineer, you are equipped with knowledge and tools required for procurement of raw material, manufacturing, testing, quality control as well as distribution. There are a lot of pitfalls in the such systems and if you study them closely, you can come up with cost-effective solutions to make this process more efficient for companies and of course charge fees.

Mechanical Engineering Graduates Tutor to make them ready for corporate world

It has become a well-known fact that engineering graduates in India are not prepared for the corporate jobs. In that, they lack resume building skills and communication skills. If you are good at any of that, you can help them build the same by conducting training programs.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Ankita Katdare
    Build solar panels and install them in your area
    Solar panels are now available at US$1.25/300W peak power. It should be possible to use seven of these in series with a low cost inverter without storage (No batteries) to get an off grid power of about 1.5 kw whenever the sun shines. This should sell for less than Rs.2000.

Government subsidies may bring down the price further.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    This course from Coursera may be useful to all engineers:
    New Models of Business in Society
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Kamlesh Vora
    Kamlesh Vora
    A.V.Ramani
    Solar panels are now available at US$1.25/300W peak power. It should be possible to use seven of these in series with a low cost inverter without storage (No batteries) to get an off grid power of about 1.5 kw whenever the sun shines. This should sell for less than Rs.2000.

Government subsidies may bring down the price further.
    Its a great information, Sir.
    Can you give more info on how can we buy solar panels and invertor sets.
    Thanks in Advance!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Solar panels are available here:
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You may have to build the inverters locally.
  • omkar palkar
    omkar palkar
    I also have a few idea like using 3D printing .. also like creating an app to provide notes about engineering subjects.. but need to understand their feasibility
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    We need more ideas here, people!
    Here are some more ideas that came to my mind -

1. Create a small team of 3 to 4. Find a manufacturing plant or another factory that could be struggling with routine maintenance work. Provide them with the services they need via your company. You need to do an in-depth market study for this. What exactly is lacking in these industries/factories/plants and how are they currently getting that work done. Can you reduce their costs? Can you deliver the work faster? If yes, there's your business plan!

2. I've heard that government websites are full of open projects and existing players bag these projects via an open bidding process. This can be a great starting point to establish your name and work as well as for getting hands-on experience. Bid for the projects and deliver them. (Strong domain knowledge is a must)

3. Freelance CAD-CAM Designing - Gather your friends and start a CAD-CAM designing freelancer startup. There have to be ample of projects for you to take up and build from there on.

4. Probably the easiest one of them all - Start writing a blog! Mechanical engineers are out there googling for stuff that they need in their academic as well as professional life. Give them easy-to-understand, clear, concise information via your blog. It could be DIY project guides, repair tips, guidance for certain subjects or topics, post-graduation exam study help.. anything! It just needs to presented well and HIGHLY useful! Readers are sure to visit. Rest is the game of SEO, Internet advertising, affiliate marketing etc.
  • Sebastine
    Sebastine
    Hi all , this site is interesting. I am an Entrepreneur myself. I am a manufacturing engineer and being exposed to Steel manufacturing and Media in my career, It was easy for me to setup a signage company. currently on our 2nd year. Decent income and Exciting. One can try Signage as a new business. I invested nothing . (except the fee for all the licensing). I have many more ideas for start up...thought this is the forum to share.
    thanks
    Sebastine
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Thanks for sharing your insights. 'Signage' sounds like a great idea for mechanical engineer's startup. Could you share your experience of setting it up? What challenges you faced and how your knowledge of mechanical engineering helped in establishing the business?

I have many more ideas for start up...thought this is the forum to share.
    We are all ears. Please go ahead and share your ideas, however small or big, in replies below. The motive is to inspire freshers with ideas and give them a dose of possibilities.
  • Sebastine
    Sebastine
    Sebastine
    Hi all , this site is interesting. I am an Entrepreneur myself. I am a manufacturing engineer and being exposed to Steel manufacturing and Media in my career, It was easy for me to setup a signage company. currently on our 2nd year. Decent income and Exciting. One can try Signage as a new business. I invested nothing . (except the fee for all the licensing). I have many more ideas for start up...thought this is the forum to share.
    thanks
    Sebastine

When one looks at a signage or a signboard, we only notice and appreciate the top layer graphics and colors used. Of course colors and branding ideas are important ,but the entire structure has a skeleton inside and its mostly made of steel and concrete for supports. Example, like a McDonald Pylon sign on the highway, you see a tall Pole (Hi-mast ) above which a Logo is fixed. The entire structure is fabricated steel structure mounted on a concrete foundation. The depth of detailing and calculations depends on the type signage we are placing. The probabilities of success are higher in a Metro city. Scope of this work involves concept, Engineering drawing, Fabrication , Installation and commissioning like any other mechanical site work.
  • Jay Aervadiya
    Jay Aervadiya
    Thanks guys this blog is more than helpfull for startup ideas.!!
  • Onkar@1
    Onkar@1
    Hello Everyone,
    The site is very informative, Thanks for sharing your ideas.
    Can you tell me the government sites which provides open projects ?
  • Onkar@1
    Onkar@1
    Hello Everyone,
    The Site is very Informative ,Thanks for sharing all the information
    Can you tell me the government websites which provides open project ?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Onkar@1
    Hello Everyone,
    The Site is very Informative ,Thanks for sharing all the information
    Can you tell me the government websites which provides open project ?
    Hello Onkar, you can check the new Open Government Data (OGD) Platform India.
    Here is the URL: Open Government Data (OGD) Platform India
    Free and Open Source software.
    Here is the URL: #-Link-Snipped-#
    You might need to ask around in your city for the right people in the system who can share further details.
  • Onkar@1
    Onkar@1
    Ok. Thanks
  • zubi
    zubi
    i am in a town with population 5 - 10 lakhs , wat are the possiblities of business being a mechanical engineer
  • Gaurav Panvel
    Gaurav Panvel
    Hoping this post would blossom up to create more ideas for mechanical startups!
    I am a mechanical engineer from Mumbai University and I am working as a Design Engineer.
    Mechanical Automation is the new kid on the block.This sector is new to India but has been a successful startup ideas for many in countries like USA,Germany.
    In India, the major scope for this is in Research institutes like BARC,NPCIL etc. where everything is automated.Automation has a great scope in various fields like Food,Nuclear,Waste Management.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Green Energy, as has been mentioned in one of the posts by #-Link-Snipped-# , is the new Mantra for Indian startups. The government has special initiatives to support such businesses and the market is good. Thankfully, we fall in a belt where sunlight is consistent, ample throughout the year. There are not many recurring natural disasters- hurricanes/tornadeoes. Skilled labour is available handy. And fresh minds are now looking out for out-of-the-box places to work at. Looks like the best setup for a novel business idea harnessing green resources of energy. Apply your minds 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Gaurav Panvel
    Mechanical Automation
    Thanks for sharing your ideas. Could you shed some more light on what kind of startups could revolve around the field of mechanical automation in the Indian context?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Shashank Moghe
    Green Energy, as has been mentioned in one of the posts by #-Link-Snipped-# , is the new Mantra for Indian startups.
    I couldn't agree more. There's a common misconception that green energy projects are restricted to the bigger companies and startups have a tough time reaching break-even since the resources required to start up in the industry are many.

There are several successfully funded startups in India (running out of metro cities) that are into building rooftop solar projects for commercial, industrial and residential clients. However, I hope this discussion could lead to more newer ideas for mechanical engineers who wish to startup and have the technical know-how. All kinds of suggestions, ideas and opinions are welcome.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Disaster Management is one of the many untapped sectors for business ideas for mechanical engineers. There's a small startup in my city that are focusing on building machines for use in disaster prone locations. They are building working prototypes of how vehicles can be modified to be of optimum use during an emergency/disaster situation. Rescue Robots come to mind next.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    On CE, a few months ago, I read a post describing how an Indian startup (probably Bangalore based?) is using drones as first responders in natural calamity situations. I mean, why not? Better than waiting for people to come to the scene, which might actually be inaccessible. It needs a healthy mix of Mechanical Engg + Electronics Engineering + Instrumentation Engineering + Computer Science!
  • KARUNAKARA REDDY
    KARUNAKARA REDDY
    hello all,
    Nice meeting you all .. This is KARUNAKARA new to this forum . I have good exp on automotive and product design. I am looking to start work on freelancer on mechical designs on my free time but I have no idea where to find such work. Could you any one suggest good websites
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Freelancer is a good one.
  • iamjatinsapra
    iamjatinsapra
    In india,
    There are thousands of thing mechanical engineer can do problem is they need huge investments and at least prototype building is required for R&D hence space.
    Since Govt of india is still giving thousands of crores to Russia for defence machinery, Israel for weapons, USA for drones, Japan for automobile machinery, China for FMCG machinery, and these machines can be developed in india and sold in india, which will give new thoughts to mechanical engineers.
    Mechanical Plus electronics plus idea can make you billionaire so work on it.
    Yes it is easy to make money in IT, but once you know how to make money through mechanical concepts trust me no one can stop you.
    Huge force of mechanical engineer in India, and we are importing machines, weapons, Drones or any high quality precision things, because even we know we can not make it in India.
    I suggest everyone to go into this market find what people are getting from outside try to make it in India and one day you will get you idea.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# Very well said. India needs its core field engineers to work on their own branch in the country, instead of working for someone else.
    The combination of mechanical and electronics (or mechatronics) is a powerful one. You can come up with thousands of applications when you combine these two branches.
  • mannu jain
    mannu jain
    please suggest some barnd name or company name for mechanical startups
  • Jainam shah8889
    Jainam shah8889
    Hi I am fresh mechanical graduate. Like all I want to get into manufacturing or industrial field. I am lucky to have resources but I don't know what exactly is the need of hour. There's a huge competition in all segments and I don't know where can I risk ! I would be obliged if anyone can share me some information as well as start up idea !
  • abhijitugalmogle
    abhijitugalmogle
    It is informative site. I m also manufacturing engineer working in furnace company.
    Any one having information regards 3D printing prototype.
  • Atul Jejurkar
    Atul Jejurkar
    I'm now studying in 3rd year of mechanical engineering which business can i do now??
  • Sarath.A.S
    Sarath.A.S
    Ankita Katdare
    We need more ideas here, people!
    Here are some more ideas that came to my mind -

1. Create a small team of 3 to 4. Find a manufacturing plant or another factory that could be struggling with routine maintenance work. Provide them with the services they need via your company. You need to do an in-depth market study for this. What exactly is lacking in these industries/factories/plants and how are they currently getting that work done. Can you reduce their costs? Can you deliver the work faster? If yes, there's your business plan!

2. I've heard that government websites are full of open projects and existing players bag these projects via an open bidding process. This can be a great starting point to establish your name and work as well as for getting hands-on experience. Bid for the projects and deliver them. (Strong domain knowledge is a must)

3. Freelance CAD-CAM Designing - Gather your friends and start a CAD-CAM designing freelancer startup. There have to be ample of projects for you to take up and build from there on.

4. Probably the easiest one of them all - Start writing a blog! Mechanical engineers are out there googling for stuff that they need in their academic as well as professional life. Give them easy-to-understand, clear, concise information via your blog. It could be DIY project guides, repair tips, guidance for certain subjects or topics, post-graduation exam study help.. anything! It just needs to presented well and HIGHLY useful! Readers are sure to visit. Rest is the game of SEO, Internet advertising, affiliate marketing etc.
  • Sarath.A.S
    Sarath.A.S
    Hello mam,
    I am a post graduate in Mechanical Engineering with specialization in Machine Design. I am planning for a start-up as free lancer in design and analysis using CAD/CAM/ANSYS. But am confused as of how to start and how to get projects from companies for a start. Please help me with your suggestions and advice.
    Thanks in advance.
  • Vinaysk
    Vinaysk
    Idea of common Inventory management.
    Select few smaller companies with similar inventory,Procure the inventory, hold these inventory, maintain it and supply it on demand. This way you charge these companies for the service you provide. This way company will save cost on inventory management and we gain by managing inventory for more than 1 company. But in this set up, one needs lots of resource like land ( own/ lease) near to the companies selected, fully equipped set up with proper ventilation and air conditioning (initial cost of setting up is high), so that materials wont deteriorate with time, manpower.
  • sandeep@navimumbai
    sandeep@navimumbai
    I am a mechanical engineer having 14 years of experience in Manufacturing sector / Precision engineering / Quality Assurance .
    Now I am planning to start my own business .
    Solar panel distribution agency / Medical devices distribution agency / Automobile Garage these are the some the areas ,from which I want to select one .
  • Rohit Shenoy
    Rohit Shenoy

Please visit exhibition like Elecrama, Imtex, Automation2018 and lot more. It gives very good exposure to current trends in industry.  Read about Systemative inventive thinking process in net. Good starting point

• Bijapur Valley
    Bijapur Valley

Hi Guys, I am new to this forum, However, I want to share my opinion in this platform, I disagree with Green energy Solar panel business, because as a mechanical engineer, he can focus on his expertisee, like he can start a small business such as Cash wash, Nanotek CAR Tilts, it needs on a rented shop in Local Automobile repair market. now a days the craze of cars are increased and sure it will be the future, lots of stuff came in car wash field, automated pump and only with 800 liters of water is enough to run complete one day. So think upon this, investing in small sector is more benifits. You opinions are welcome further.

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# Those are some interesting inputs. I love the idea of having car washes across the country. That seems like a really cool idea. Automated car washes instead of having a hired human help would definitely be great for someone who is always on the commute.

If you're a mechanical engineer looking for startup or business ideas, this seems like a good project that can work wonders if launched with good research work.

• Vasu Agarwal
    Vasu Agarwal

Have an idea to generate electricity 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - we can't figure out anything from you last post. It's important that you describe your thoughts. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

8FX8-AE321FD2-C6FF-4939-9DE9-D1580A6FDD85.jpegGreat #-Link-Snipped-# ,

What wattage does the idea generate?

• Purnendra
    Purnendra

Today in every home and small shop have many machines and devices so if we provide full maintenance of all appliances it would be game changer when u stand in market. We also some add some business policy like insurance of appliances, exchange offer to newone etc. The most important thing is that this business can run by 2 or 3 person.

• Satish Kumar
    Satish Kumar

Feel there are ample and more opportunity in agriculture machinery. Small farmers are facing acute shortage of farm labor and are in dire need of machine to assist in day to day business. 

Therefore young and energetic machinecal engineer may come forward to help the farmers and earn good income from there.

• sunny811984 .
    sunny811984 .

Aluminium fabricated products have a good scope in future

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

True there are various ways you can build a business around aluminium fabricated products like - doors, windows, partitions for office, modular kitchens and what not. Thank you for the suggestion #-Link-Snipped-# 

Great ideas by #-Link-Snipped-# and #-Link-Snipped-# as well. Keep posting your ideas folks, they may spark young minds.

• rajni kanta
    rajni kanta

Give me ideas for project on food analysis / on food quality implementation 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - are you looking for business ideas or college student project ideas? 

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

From time to time, large mammals like tigers and elephants get into conflict with men and result into many a lives getting hurt. As a solution to this problem, researchers...
I am using labVIEW 2014. I am doing a project which is based on image acquisition and recognition. I installed both VDM and VAS tool kits. But i am still...
Hi, what's the optimum binary signal can be transmitted in a 1 Hz attenuation.
What's the best antenna design (aspect ratio) on spectrum 400~700nm?
dear sir/madam. please can you give some ideas for writing a code in web-technology.