Android Wear Update: Always-On Apps, Wi-Fi Support, Flick Gestures & More

Even before its public launch, Apple has received 2.3 million pre-orders for its Apple Watch. Noticing the immense popularity of its major opponent, Google has released a major update for Android Wear smartwatches. The first feature addition is always-on apps. While displays on the Android Wear watches are switched on when you bring up your wrist, they can be asked to remain always-on. The trouble is the “always-on” only works on the home screen and not on apps, so Google has decided to take care of this issue without affecting battery life. When you set an app as always on it will show full colour when you are actively looking at it, but when you put your wrist down the apps change to black and white trying to save battery.

Android Wear

With the Sony Smartwatch 3, Google had already included features like GPS and offline music support so that you could leave your phone at home when you went for jogging. The new Android Wear update eliminates the need of your phone fully by including Wi-Fi support. This means no matter how far you are from your phone, you will still be able to receive notifications, send messages and interact with apps. Google has also tried to bring some Apple Watch features like emojis but with a certain change. In Apple Watches, when you draw an emoji, the other user gets the same hand-written one, but on Android Wear the scribbled emoji gets converted into the graphical emoji thanks to Google’s Google Handwriting Input App Can Decipher Your Terrible Handwriting capabilities. Google has also aped Apple by allowing quick access to contacts and apps with a single tap. Finally since Android Wear watches lack Apple’s patented digital crown, Google had to improvise when it came to notification and news scrolling. If you want to read your notifications one by one, you can flick your wrist and scroll through notifications from different apps.

Android Wear 2

Google informs that all Android Wear watches from various companies will be getting the update within the coming weeks, starting from LG’s Watch Urbane.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

can anyone please tell me how a program's corresponding control flow graph is converted to k-subgraph feature. Actually I want to know how the vector is derived from the k-subgraph....
Hello Sir I am new member here , i am student of Bs Computer science in 3rd year , i have to submit the proposal for my final year project...
A team of researchers led by Ashutosh Saxena, Asst. Prof. Computer Science at Cornell University, have developed a new system that can anticipate the driver's actions so that he or...
In 2014, Mayur Mundada and Subramanya Jingade came together to build a platform to help students prepare for companies that come on campus. Called 'AmbitionBox', this platform not only prepares...
Just stumbled across this cool video created by Mood Indigo team from IIT-B. I think it conveys the right message very effectively. Check it out -