Android M Features Overview

Google's announced the next major upgrade to Android operating system, called 'Android M'. At the Google I/O 2015 conference, the major features of the new version were just announced. Let's take a quick look at what's coming to Android M and your smartphones in coming months.

App Permissions: The developers will now be able to integrate permissions support in their apps. For example, if an App needs to use your phone's front camera, it will ask the user for permission to access it. If the user grants the permission, the app will remember it.

Addendum: The app permissions do exist at present as well. However, the app asks for all the 'access' at the time of installation. The Android M OS will not ask for permission until the app actually accesses the feature that needs permission. For example, if you've an app that needs to use your location, it won't ask for it at the time of installation. But when you actually use the app and the app wants to know your location, it will ask your permission to use it.

Web Experience: Google is now giving ability to include Google Chrome in your app. You can open an instance of Chrome right within your app and perform stuff. For example, if you want to let people sign-up using Google or Facebook, the users will be able to do that using Google Chrome's features like auto-fill, auto-complete etc.

App Links: Opening links from email or web page will now first check if the link actually points to the authentic app on the user's device. So if you receive a twitter link in your email, Android M will automatically open Twitter app instead of first going to Chrome (or any default browser).

Android Pay: This was more or less, expected from Google. Google's announcing Android Pay that will use your phone's in-built NFC support to make payments. This works very similar to Apple Pay or recently announced Samsung Pay that works with Samsung S6 phones. Android will keep your transaction secure by generating a number for your transaction. This process prevents sharing of your actual credit card number with the seller.

Fingerprint Support: With Android Pay, comes the native fingerprint support to Android M. Android Pay will now make use of your phone's inbuilt fingerprint sensor to let you authenticate your transactions and even login to the system. Again, this is what you've already seen on Samsung and Apple iPhones.

Power Management: There's a new Doze mode in Android M that lets you save important battery life. When the system enters into doze mode, the apps will consume very limited CPU power but yet have access to the updates. Google officials said that on the tests performed on Nexus 9 devices installed with Android Lollipop and Android M, the M went on for 2x more time than the Lollipop.

Definitely a HUGE improvement, I'd say! Well done, Google. I can't wait to test this feature.

USB Type C Support: As expected, Google's Android M will now support USB Type C connectors. Since USB type C is bi-directional, it will let you select whether you want to charge your device or charge any other device using it! Type C USB will also support faster charging and speedier data transfer.

Google's Android M will be made available to the developers on Android Nexus devices today. There's no clear information on the final release date.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thought of expressing my opinion on Android M. I personally do not see anything 'breakthrough' in the new version. I'd have welcomed all the above mentioned features as a regular incremental update; but Google is trying to make them look like 'big thing'.

The most exciting feature seems to be the power saver feature. Android users have traditionally complained about the pathetic battery life of Android phones and tablets. Hopefully Android M will change it. I'd be more than happy if my phone lasts for 2 days without needing the charger. Other features like fingerprint support aren't attention grabbing.

Also, it's not clear what's the minimum hardware requirements for Android App. Maybe we'll discuss that in another topic here.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    One awesome feature of Android M :
    You can now use 'External sd card' and use it as 'Internal storage'. For the low-end devices like Moto E, it would be very useful.

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Seems like 32 GB sdcard will be sold most when CyanogenMod 13 will be launched 😁

Image source : #-Link-Snipped-#
  • lal
    lal
    The app permission made me remember the old Symbian devices "This application is trying to access the camera. Grant access? Yes... No" 😁

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm wondering what are the minimum hardware requirements for Android M. Google announced the latest version of Android at IO 2015 conference, but did not mention the release date or...
I'm wondering if Google's just announced that developers will be able to develop Android Apps using C and C++ programming languages in addition to Java. Is this true or has...
The most awaited annual software developer’s conference Google I/O has begun and many major updates have been announced by Google. The most important of those updates are as follows. Google...
Keeping with the tradition, Google's calling the new version of Android as 'Android M'. Google's always named their major android upgrade after a sweet dish. Let's take a quick look...
Basking in the glory of its previous Unite 2 Android phone which sold , Micromax has unveiled a new smartphone called 'Micromax Unite 3' which hopes to set itself apart...