Android Factory Reset Is Just A State Of Mind

Android factory reset option promises to wipe out all your personal data and information from your gadget. It's a common and suggested practice to factory reset your phone or tablet before you sell it to someone or discard it. It turns out that the factory reset could just be making you believe that you've wiped out your personal data forever and no one can retrieve it. A team of researchers from Cambridge University have published a paper titled '#-Link-Snipped-# (PDF)' that hints at factory reset not working as intended.

The team, comprising of Laurent Simon and Ross Anderson from the Cambridge University studied twenty one Android smartphone devices manufactured by five different vendors running Android versions between 2.3 to 4.3; that were 'factory reset'. The analysis revealed that the some part of the data wiped out from the device was recoverable. What's astonishing is that recovery worked even with the devices protected with full-disk encryption.

The researchers were able to retrieve contacts, photos, videos, SMS messages, emails and even log-in information for popular social networking applications like Facebook and WhatsApp. The researchers could even get access to the master token that's needed for accessing Google user data in about 80% of the phones. It's estimated that about 500 - 600 million devices running various Android versions could be at risk.

Android-Factory-Reset-Problem

The reasons for incomplete wipe-out of data could be many. The researchers note that phone manufacturers do not install all the required drivers that are necessary for cleaning the on-board storage or the add on storage cards. The SD cards / flash drives are very difficult to erase completely.

As of now, there's no clear solution to the problem available. It's also possible that your average joe may not be able to retrieve your data easily; but as a caution, avoid selling your phone to a known geek. If you have the time, go through the paper linked above. We'd like to know what precautions do our engineers take when discarding their old phone?

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I really think that food delivery is just a 'logistics' problem that has already been solved. Yet, I continue to see new startups coming up in this space every new...
Many Many happy returns of the day @SarathKumar Chandrasekaran We hope you are having a great day. All the best for days to come. 🎉
The government of India has taken steps to setup 70 supercomputers to accelerate research work in various domains including weather and defence. These supercomputers will have varying speed of operations...
I am a recently passed out civil engineer and wish to know about how does one get into Central Water Commission. I have deep interest in water resources engineering and...
Self-driving cars come with a ton of advantages- They are managed by machines, and we can expect them to cause lesser accidents. No 'drunk-driving' incidents. Safe for all types of...