Amazon Launches AWS IoT Platform For Building Apps For Internet Of Things

Based on analysis reports generated in the second quarter of 2015, the top 5 players in the Internet of Things (IoT) are IBM, Google, Cisco, Intel and Microsoft. IBM is leading the pack because of its whopping $3 billion dollar investment in multiple divisions of IoT. With all these players already in the market, it was only a question of when would Amazon step in the game. And now it has. This year Amazon had acquired the IoT based platform 2lemetry and 2 days ago, it announced that Amazon Web Services (AWS) IoT is all set to go.

amazon_iot_launch_1

AWS IoT will provide its various proprietary tools like Amazon Machine Learning, DyanmoDB, Amazon S3 etc. to manage your IoT applications and related data. Amazon, in its re:Invent developer conference held in Las Vegas said that the platform is a secure cloud platform that allows easy connection of devices amongst themselves and multiple cloud applications.

amazon_iot_launch_2

Amazon’s CTO Werner Vogels who spoke in the conference (above image) explained about the platform saying that it will have device registry, a rule-based engine and a device gateway. The device registry will store all the information about the ‘things’ in IoT. Additionally, a feature called Amazon Shadows will allow you to store the information about devices when they are offline. This information can then be used to work with the devices when they come back online. Vogels also said that the developers would be able to access and work with incoming data because will come with the traditional gateways and protocols like MQTT and HTTPS.

Now for the pricing of the service. The pricing is based on the number of messages transferred to and fro the devices and the AWS IoT. Each ‘message’ basically means a block of 512 byte data processed by AWS IoT. The good news is that the first 250,000 messages per month for the first 12 months are free of cost. The charges will apply if you cross this threshold. Also, the messages sent to and fro between certain services like Amazon S3, DyanmoDB, Lambda etc. are free of cost irrespective of number of messages.

If you wish to know more technical details of the same, you can check the official blog of AWS AWS IoT – Cloud Services for Connected Devices | AWS News Blog.

Via: Amazon Launches AWS IoT -- A Platform For Building, Managing And Analyzing The Internet Of Things • TechCrunch

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Gionee, the Shenzhen based Chinese company, has got a new Android smartphone for Indian market with 'Gionee Elife E8' that comes loaded with a stellar set of specifications, to say...
guys say some ideas regarding mech projects
Can u confirm any project, i hv select Abrasive jet machine
I'm a final year student pursuing CSE in Bangalore. I have taken up several technical tests for Startup (software) companies that came to our college for recruitment. While writing the...
hello every one i am new here...! Can any plz help me..Actually i am ENTC engg but not interested in core electronics so choose IT field and just i joined...