Amazon Acquires Twitch For $970 Million

Industry speculations have been proven wrong as Amazon swoops in to acquire video game footage streaming service, Twitch. Earlier it was reported that Google was interested in buying the three year old company Google Extends Its 'Billion Dollar Arm' To Acquire Videogame-Streaming Company Twitch. Both the companies took their websites to announce this merger. Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos says in the #-Link-Snipped-# that broadcasting and watching gameplay has become a big phenomenon in the video games industry and by acquiring Twitch they will be able to create tools and services for the gaming community faster than they could have done independently. Twitch CEO Emmett Shear said in a #-Link-Snipped-# that they chose Amazon because the latter believed in the company and shared their values and long-term vision. They expect to achieve their long term goals much faster with help of Amazon. He says that there shall be very little change in their company as they get to keep their employees, office and brand name. Twitch will function independently of Amazon. Coming to the financial details of the deal, Amazon will acquire all the remaining shares of Twitch Inc. for $970 million in cash. The deal is expected to be closed by the end of this year.

Twitch
Twitch Team at Gamescom 2014 Courtesy: #-Link-Snipped-#​

The important question now is what is the future of this deal? #-Link-Snipped-# points out that Amazon has always been interested in gaming. It had built the Amazon Game Studios by buying game development studio Double Helix. Amazon could also be interested gaming hardware as it included a gamepad with its Fire TV. With the help of Twitch, Amazon will dive further in the gaming industry. The second question, why not Google? We speculate that there might be two reasons. First, Twitch would have lost its brand value if it was integrated with a service like YouTube and second Google’s privacy policies would have angered the fans and more importantly the companies who rely on this service.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Goodbye, Twitch. 😖

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to do a project based on raspberry pi in which I want interface lcd, fingureprint scanner,printer, plz help me where I get ckt diagram , how I program...
hello CEs, I want to do simple programming on 8051 processor, can anyone suggest me what are the instrument i need to purchase and how to start programming.
Mahindra & Mahindra motorcycles segment has got a new stylish addition today with the launch of its Mahindra Centuro Rockstar, a 110cc bike priced at (ex-showroom) Rs. 43,700. The two...
Hi all I heard that it was announced in the auto expo 2014 that UM is going to launch their bikes in India in September 2014. Has anybody here heard...
Can you please rectify error in this program. I am not getting output of last three cout statements. #include #include using namespace std; float vel (float, float); int...