AirVR Brings Virtual Reality To iPhone 6 Plus & iPad Mini Users In The Weirdest Way Possible

Canadian start-up Metatecture has announced their new creation that brings virtual reality to iOS users at affordable prices. Meet the AirVR, a $49 attachment for iPad Mini and iPhone 6 Plus that enables you to wear you gadget over your eyes and experience real-time 3D virtual reality. You might be suspecting at the moment, how have the manufacturers made an iPad attachment so cheap? To answer your question we have to look in to the design and working of the AirVR. The AirVR has two lenses for both your eyes that help create a 3D view of the iPad display. All they did was develop several applications that run on your iPad and take advantage of the lenses. For tracking the movements of the wearer’s head the used the iPad’s front camera with printable AR markers. Instead of an external controller, the developers have developed AirVR Touchstrip that is located in the bottom of the display of the iPad Mini.

Air VR 1

It is commendable of the company to build iOS apps that let you view your photos and videos in three dimensions. The company’s native panorama app lets you take photos of a location and relive them anytime you want. Unlike the recently launched Samsung Gear VR Lets You Experience Wireless Virtual Reality With Galaxy Note 4, the AirVR does not require to be powered by the smartphone and since it is slid into the attachment all the ports of the iPad remain free to be plugged in. The team at Metatecture say that there would be an abundance of virtual reality content on AirVR as there are 200 million iPads in the world and nearly nine million registered iOS app developers will love to gain an early ground with this technology. As of this writing, the project has managed to garner funds of 5,927 CAD against its goal of 20000 CAD within two days. There is a fairly good chance of the AirVR getting fully funded upon which it shall make it to the hands of early adopters in December 2014 followed by it appearance it brick and mortar shops and e-commerce websites in early 2015.

While we approve of the iPhone 6 Plus attachment which is still in R & D phase (as the phone was shipped yesterday) we fear a future where people will be wearing their iPad Minis over their heads in the public. Just look at the photograph below and head over to the comment section to say something witty about it.

Air VR  2

Source: #-Link-Snipped-# via You can now attach your iPad directly to your face to experience virtual reality - The Verge

Replies

• jayaprakash.m
    jayaprakash.m
    nice such a wonderful things...........
  • jayaprakash.m
    jayaprakash.m
    its used only i phone
  • prahu mac
    prahu mac
    ain't worth a buy??

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am currently in 2nd year, doing btech information technology from a mediocre college affiliated to IPU Delhi. I want to know if should i start studying for GATE or...
Hi All, I have been working past 2 years after completing B.E in Computers. I appeared for GATE in my final year but couldn't crack it. I am planning to...
Can any one help me with a code for html form having the following format?? Please Name:................ Email:.................... Tel:................... Meessage.................... and 3 check boxes
how to select a specified concrete compressive strength( f'c) for a designing bulding or ...?
Hello I had been through a paper on Web based voting system which suggests a method to cast vote online and then encrypt the vote and also add a digital...