Advice for project using raspberry pi or arduino

Hello everyone !! I am in 7th sem of btech ECE .I am trying to find some innovative topics for my project. From my side I have been thinking about a few.
So I need help to make sure that am not going for something impossible to make according to my finance and time problems. I had been thinking for a project on wearable technology and in particular smart glasses. This is a dream project for me and I have been thinking about it lately. So what I got after I discussed with some of trainers that first of all the kits which I want to use is high in cost. Second I could not find proper way to do research for it.I had searched through internet but I need some strong content.
Thirdly, as you must be thinking the project would need a lot of stuff and that's why I want to ask if these are available in India. Like what about the glass used in it. Means the transparent glass have to be used for it for sure, then what about the material and body of the glasses. Other perspectives can be handled maybe but I'm not sure about it. And plz can somebody tell me about the approximate amount of money I shall have to spend on it??
So my questions are
1.) Is my project possible enough to make without high technology tools and kits.
2) what will be the approximate amount of money to make it?and if all components are available in north India .
3) Should I leave my dream project and think about other. If yes ! Then plz suggest some projects using RPi or arduino.

Replies

• lal
    lal
    It is fairly impossible to give simple answers to those questions. The kind of money, effort and time you'll need to spend will depend on the degree of integration, technology and features you plan to include.

About the glasses, a simple trick would be to peel off the reflective screen and LEDs of an LCD screen and make it a dull and roughly translucent display, well, just to prove the concept. Much better results could be achieved from OLED displays.

Anyway, your project will need a lot of coding if you are thinking about including face detection, obstacles detection, text detection and similar features. I do believe, however, there are a lot of publicly accessible work that have been done or are in progress in these domains which may not be shown in a Google search. In discussion boards of other developer boards like Odroid, Banana Pi and similar ones, I have come across projects which make use of those SBCs for the applications similar to yours.
  • Ritika Sharma
    Ritika Sharma
    Thanks for the reply. But can you plz forward the links or any of the material related to it. Of course it is quite an ambitious project but I still want to give it a try. I had many things about it in my mind but I stopped cause I heard about Google glasses and the project was taken. Initially I wanted to do something Different. But now I think I should not stop because it is already made.
    Frnkly saying I'm not more than a begginer however I had list of projects and devices I want to make. My real problem is that I don't know from where I should get the material to know more about them and have in depth knowledge of them.
    If any one knows any site or course so please do suggest. And if anyone can give suggestions on another project then please do reply.
  • lal
    lal
    I couldn't find the links to those discussions specifically, I don't remember the thread titles. But there was this animated Pixar desk lamp project someone did using an Odroid SBC. It detected the face of the person in front of it and did some interests stuff like mimicking, show emotional gestures and so on. Check this: Pixar Lamp - ODROID
    It was also covered in one of their magazine issues, please check Home Page | ODROID Magazine
  • lal
    lal
    I couldn't find the links to those discussions specifically, I don't remember the thread titles. But there was this animated Pixar desk lamp project someone did using an Odroid SBC. It detected the face of the person in front of it and did some interests stuff like mimicking, show emotional gestures and so on. Check this: Pixar Lamp - ODROID
    It was also covered in one of their magazine issues, please check Home Page | ODROID Magazine
  • Ritika Sharma
    Ritika Sharma
    It was a great project. Im amazed. Thanks for sharing. My project is not on this but I may want something like what we call Google glasses. But I want it to be for personal usage only.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Respected sir Iam a first year btech ECE student .for the tech fest going to be held at our college the focus theme is energy technologies.after searching it had been...
A team of researchers from MIT, University of Georgia and Max Planck Institute for Informatics is trying to make eye gesture control feasible in mobile devices. They are crowdsourcing the...
Hello everyone!! I'm Ritika and I'm in the 7th sem of btech ECE. Now the topic of my concern is career. And I really need guidance. People say that I...
Researchers at MIT have come up with a fluorescent gel based sensor that responds to external stimuli by changing its color. If it is heated, shaken, exposed to acid action...
Like political understanding, science and technology have always merged together to deliver the next big thing. As a matter of fact, now most of the products are hybrids and innovation...