Ads in Firefox - Will they help Mozilla make more money?

Mozilla, the company behind popular Firefox browser relied on Google for a long time to keep the project live. However, things didn't seem nice when Google decided to launch their own browser 'Chrome' that rivaled Firefox. Though Google continued to support Firefox, Mozilla had to figure out a revenue model to keep the project going and pay salaries of engineers.

Mozilla has said that the first time Firefox users will see advertisements in the new tab that they'll open. Don't worry - the bookmark / tiles will clearly tell you which is Ad and which is a bookmark; so that there's no confusion.

mozilla

I'm curious to know what's the reaction of loyal firefox users. Do you think Mozilla is going in the right direction by embedding ads in the tabs?

Replies

• Satya Swaroop Dash
    Satya Swaroop Dash
    The ads will appear when a user installs the browser for the first time and as soon as he/she does some browsing the ads in the tabs will be replaced by the most visited websites.

I am a loyal Firefox fan and I have been using the browser since its 3.0 version. I think that it will not be a problem as the ads go away soon. Well, Mozilla does need some funding right now. In the past few months it has been asking its users to donate at least three US dollars. This move is appreciated but I hope the advertising remains as non-intrusive as possible.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    This is let down and if a user is intelligent enough to use Firefox they are also intelligent enough to use addon #-Link-Snipped-#, 😁
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I just found out that Mozilla Corp gets revenue from a search agreement with Google Inc. 😲
    Google Chrome is sadly taking over so much of their business.
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    If you ask me, I would say that its a good move because mozilla cant completely rely on google for being alive.Its a better idea than asking donation from users.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Here are some queries regarding the domestically used mixer grinder: 1) If this machine uses a universal motor, then how come it has a speed selector, now that speed control...
Flock-1 - A fleet of 28 miniature satellites, called CubeSats, has just been released in space by the International Space Station (ISS). The uninitiated may note that CubeSat is a...
Windows phone 8.1 update is generating high curiosity among Windows phone users and developers. Recently, some features of Windows 8.1 were leaked through screenshots of new notification center. Today we...
German sound and software company BRAGI has unveiled the world's first smart ear buds - "The Dash". This seems to be a big leap in the earphone technology. The Dash...
Google search now allows relationship based voice commands for Android users. All you need to do is save the contact with its relationship to the user and then you are...