Acoustic Cloaking Device Hides Objects From Sound: Duke University Research

Engineers from Duke University have developed world’s first 3D acoustic cloaking device. The acoustic cloaking device is built out of several sheets of paper and number crunching. It works in three dimensions which reroutes the sound waves and creates an impression that the device and anything beneath it does not exist. Professor Steven Cummer from the of Electrical and Computer Engineering Department at the University explained that when the cloak is kept around the object, sound waves behave as if there’s just a flat surface in their path.

acoustic_cloak1
The field of metamaterials which is a combination of natural materials in repeating patterns and achieves unnatural properties is used. The new device which looks just like a pyramid and consisting of plastic and air manipulates the sound waves. The acoustic cloaking device gives the illusion by altering the trajectory of waves. The waves could not reach the surface beneath and hence travels a shorter distance and its speed is slowed to compensate.

For testing the new device, these researchers used a sphere covered with cloak and recorded short bursts of sound from various angles. The behavior of the waves were mapped using a microphone and produced videos of waves through air. The videos were then compared with those which were created by keeping the sphere without cloak. The results proved that the waves behaved as if they were reflected from an empty surface. Though the demonstration is simple, researchers believe that the concept could have wide application. Sound waves behave exactly the same way underwater as they behave in air, thus making it possible for sonar avoidance to become one of the uses. Also, this is useful wherever acoustics are used.

Share with us in comments what more applications you can think of.

Source: #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

If you want to see all the mainstream smartphones featuring projectors, an engineering research team from CalTech might have a solution. A new silicon chip developed by Ali Hajimiri and...
Hey, I am trying to design a wearing test equipment. I need to apply a constant vertical force to a surface and move it sideways but the height of the...
I am doing project using Surface Fitting Tool in MATLAB. I have got many doubts and i am in need of help.. Is there anyone who knows Surface Fitting Tool?
The new Hyundai Xcent has been launched in India today with some impressive features. From the looks of the new sedan, we can say they are a bit progressive yet...
Lenovo has launched a new Ideapad Notebook in India with Lenovo Z510 running Windows 8.1 operating system. Powering this laptop is a 4th Generation Intel Core i5/i7 processor. Featuring a...