acessing windows file systems from linux

I am not sure, but there should be way form which I can acess my windows file system from linux.

any idea?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    durga
    I am not sure, but there should be way form which I can acess my windows file system from linux.

any idea?
    I can access all my windows files from uBuntu without any additional software. There's surely a way πŸ˜‰ !
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    I understand that i dont need a software. the data is any ways on my hard drive 😁
    but linux file system is different from that of windows right, and i am still unable to get access to windows file sytem

tell me one more thing, i should as well be able to run the softwares what i installed in windows...right?
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    what do you mean by accessing the file system? I dont get it..

And for using windows based software in LInux, there's a thing called 'Wine' or Windows Emulator. It can be used for windows based software. It doesnt support all types of software, though. Take big games, for instance. They cant be emulated in wine.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Durga, what you need to learn is the mount command in linux. It usually goes like this -
    $> mount /dev/hda3 /mnt/disk1
    Here, /dev/hda3 would be the device (read partition) which you are trying to mount, it can be a cd/dvd drive as well; and /mnt/disk1 is the folder in your linux drive where you are trying to mount that device to.

Note, that this command does not copy all the files to /mnt/disk1 folder, but merely creates a "map" if I may call it so. If you wish to do this permanently, then you need to make a similar entry in your /etc/fstab file.

Biggie, thats why in your Ubuntu, those windows partitions are auto-mounted. Ubuntu is smart enough to configure it for you.

Silverscorpion - for bigger games, try Cedega or Crossover, they are paid, but worth it. Crossover comes for $40 per user per year. I use licensed version, and believe me the Rs. 2000 is money well spent.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    oh, I didnt know that. I'll look out for it. Upto what level of games can it support?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    It can go all the way silverscorpion, Cedega can run Medal of Honour genre games as well, even Oblivion (TES4), CS:Source. I have played Warcraft3:FT on Crossover, running MS Office using Crossover. Give it a shot.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    silverscorpion
    what do you mean by accessing the file system? I dont get it..

And for using windows based software in LInux, there's a thing called 'Wine' or Windows Emulator. It can be used for windows based software. It doesnt support all types of software, though. Take big games, for instance. They cant be emulated in wine.
    I was refering to accessing the data on the Harddrive which have been stored while I was a staunch windows user πŸ˜€

I want to use those data and softwares when I use Ubuntu
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    kidakaka
    Note, that this command does not copy all the files to /mnt/disk1 folder, but merely creates a "map" if I may call it so. If you wish to do this permanently, then you need to make a similar entry in your /etc/fstab file.

Biggie, thats why in your Ubuntu, those windows partitions are auto-mounted. Ubuntu is smart enough to configure it for you.
    hey! strange, I use Ubuntu as well:!:

Anyways, so you meant that the data is not duplicated , but instead a path is created to access the dataπŸ˜€ that sounds nice.

and now, I quess i will first look into /etc/fstab to see if there is already the mount command,as even I am using ubuntu πŸ˜›
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    hey,

I tried mount
    vijayadurga@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ mount /dev/hda2 /Desktop/mount
    *mount: only root can do that*

i was under a so called wrong impression that root is the admin, No. not really.

Could some one elaborate?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Durga,
    Ubuntu by default disables logging in through the root account. It is done so to ensure one higher level of security. What you can do, is use the sudo command.

So try this command -
    vijayadurga@ubuntu:~/Desktop$ sudo mount /dev/hda2 /Desktop/mount

That should ask for a password, put in your password. That should do.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Recently visited Biggie's Blog. I found one of his post brought out a very interesting topic for discussion. I don't know if it is already dicussed on CE. Apologies if...
This is a fun debate topic and has no purpose to hurt anyone. The author of this thread apologizes if anyone's feelings are hurt.
Connect these two pictures.. Who's gonna answer this??
hi guys, i want to know is there any laser which we can connect with computer and control it through coding a program?πŸ˜•
i had blink an idea when i have seen the CCTV futage of TAJ hotel... after attack... ehich was released after 2 day by bombay police.... can we make automatic...