Absolute Zero: The ultimate moment of realization in an engineering college

Absolute Zero's take on The ultimate moment of realization in an engineering college

Thank you to the first batch

Replies

• Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    First batch and girls of every batch πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Super 😁

We figured out right in the first year that if the experiments were performed with honesty and integrity you'll always get a wrong graph. Then one of my smart friend devised this technique of plotting the graph first (which would impress the generations of engineers to come) and then randomly picking up 'readings' from the graph to come up with the 'obtained values'.

...the professor threw his journal right on his face saying 'that's an old technique' πŸ‘Ž 😁
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    😁 Lazy Successors. CS-Engineers rarely had to plot graphs, except in first year. We convinced the professor that only one person per group would take the readings and ultimately only one person in the class took reading and rest of us copied.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Even I remember reading the readings, They will help if we get a wrong graph, unfortunately this happens most of the times πŸ˜‰
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    I remember once my Professor asked me for Linear Reading. I told him Sir may I know the % Accuracy for Resistors we are using and is the Instrument itself is standard? First let me know then ask me. From that day I was most wanted student in class. Professor used to avoid technical practical question in viva too. πŸ˜‰
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Hhaha nice πŸ˜€ I remember once when the graph was significantly different from the original graph... I went back to the lab and argued with the professor. "The experiment is wrong and everyone has been faking their reading for the past 7 years" and he yelled back saying "Get out of my lab!" and then I went back to plot it on Matlab and do the experiment again, but this time with different results still not matching the original graph. Realized the tank (it was a fluid mech exp) that was filled with water had fishes growing in it! Found out that the last 6 or so months of experiments were all wrong.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    Hysteresis Loop.... 😁
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I remember having to determine the gravitation constant using an Atwood's machine in my high school in 1953. I got a value of 320 cm/sec.sec instead of 980.
    The physics teacher appreciated my honestly reporting such a value, but could not pass me on that. He initiated an investigation into the error. Finally it was traced to a jewelled bearing, which instead of being near zero friction, was acting like a brake. After rectification we got a value 920 cm/sec.sec
    I finally got a pass in that experiment.
    For the curious, this is the experiment though in those days we had spring wound mechanical stop watches for timing.
  • Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar
    bioramani
    For the curious, this is the experiment though in those we had spring wound mechanical stop watches for timing.
    Those mechanical stop watches ware awesome.. πŸ˜€
    I remember using Tuning fork at friends earπŸ˜‰ and Sonometer as a guitar 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# : Gone are πŸ˜” days when the teachers cared.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I agree.
    My school was attached to a Roman Catholic Seminary. The teacher was Rev.Fr. Fredrich, a German priest. The Atwood's machine was a 1784 AD invention by Rev.George Atwood of Cambridge, another Christian priest.
    I am forever garteful to my science teacher, who actually inspired me to follow my interest in science.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Amazing story. The purity of experimentation and curiosity are slowly diluting away into nothingness because people are so distracted or stressed out.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In those days Sir J.C.Bose, S.N.Bose, Sir C.V.Raman were household names and all children were looking up to them in science with a fervour like that generated by stalwarts like Gokhale, Nehru and Mahatma in the fight for independence.
    Looks like the inexorable second law of thermodynamics operates in this too, bringing everything to a ground state including scientific curiosity.
  • Deepak Gopalakrishnan
    Deepak Gopalakrishnan
    bioramani
    Looks like the inexorable second law of thermodynamics operates in this too, bringing everything to a ground state including scientific curiosity.
    *APPLAUSE*

That was a simply phenomenal statement.
  • monizarekar
    monizarekar
    πŸ‘ very nice ...
    even v do the same thing .. and our measuring instrument always have some error .. may it be stopwatch or some gauges and like to say thank u to our first batch
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    Some 'antiques' at the laboratory are never meant to be used - like the machines at our mechanical and physics labs! Record books were the greatest teachers I could find. No one actually knew how to do some of the EXPERIMENTS. The final year just flew by. Practicals were just for namesake. We wrote whatever we felt, even drew diagrams with whatever 'little' fact was received from the Record!
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    We should remember that political cartoonists the like of Abu, Thanu, the inimitable RKL and numerous others past, present and global are not just poking fun, but trying to prod us to laugh first and later cogitate on the ills of society.
    Likewise, our own Chuck oAT.
    While we laugh (LOL or just a quiet smile), it may be worthwhile to think of what ails engineering competence today.
  • xheavenlyx
    xheavenlyx
    Our education system is a sham. Don't give me examples of great engineers and doctors that come out of the system. Out of a large population sample, it's painfully average to have a few genius engineers, scientists.

#-Link-Snipped-# was founded by Jonathan Ceder and Alexander Drummond. Most recently, BioLite won the 2011 St. Andrews Prize for the Environment in May.

#-Link-Snipped-#

Shame. We have millions in India still cooking using natural fuel. No one, out of our prestigious universities could come up with this earlier? Again, don't give examples because if they did it well, we would have known about it.

I will make a larger post on Debate/Discussion. Either I should be a part of the solution or shut up and take it. I'll go for the solution. No idea how but it has to be brutal...
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Simply amazing #-Link-Snipped-#
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    lol i still remember that graphs i even never changes the values
    i only changes the graph shape believing on my talent my faculty and lab in charges given the marks and i am successful in graph and i called as good in lab
    note: i only do it in my machines lab only in others i got the exact results
  • X-Engineer
    X-Engineer
    Then one of my smart friend devised this technique of plotting the graph first (which would impress the generations of engineers to come) and then randomly picking up 'readings' from the graph to come up with the 'obtained values'.
    In fact true.....
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Well well well, this turns out to be a confession corner. and i thought i was the only guy who had tough luck with graphs.
  • Beginner
    Beginner
    xheavenlyx
    Hhaha nice πŸ˜€ I remember once when the graph was significantly different from the original graph... I went back to the lab and argued with the professor. "The experiment is wrong and everyone has been faking their reading for the past 7 years" and he yelled back saying "Get out of my lab!" and then I went back to plot it on Matlab and do the experiment again, but this time with different results still not matching the original graph. Realized the tank (it was a fluid mech exp) that was filled with water had fishes growing in it! Found out that the last 6 or so months of experiments were all wrong.
    😁
  • sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    i am never perfect with the graphs...πŸ˜”
    i never plotted graphs myself.. neither at school nor at college..
    always it was done by my friends or we use to take the readings of our seniors kept at the lab
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    godfather
    I remember once my Professor asked me for Linear Reading. I told him Sir may I know the % Accuracy for Resistors we are using and is the Instrument itself is standard? First let me know then ask me. From that day I was most wanted student in class. Professor used to avoid technical practical question in viva too. πŸ˜‰
    Loved your reply am going for it tomo in my class
  • anusha venkat
    anusha venkat
    sweet_honey
    i am never perfect with the graphs...πŸ˜”
    i never plotted graphs myself.. neither at school nor at college..
    always it was done by my friends or we use to take the readings of our seniors kept at the lab
    same here, but my dad plots the point and my mum joins the points... am gifted with such a wonderful parents!! πŸ˜›
  • graphite
    graphite
    We had to plot graphs only in our first two years of engineering. In first year plotted the graphs sincerely but in 2nd year we even copied the readings along with graphs. While performing the experiments blamed the college for not providing good working instruments. πŸ˜€πŸ˜Ž
  • Umesh Kumar Rai
    Umesh Kumar Rai
    Nice findings... πŸ˜€

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Mozilla has began rolling out the latest version of Firefox. If you are on FF, your browser might have already started updating itself. The latest addition to FF includes Google...
Hi friends,Myself Poonam Dwivedi I have done BSc with mathematics from st.Xavier's ,Ahmedabad. I m pursuing M.C.A ,in the 5th semester, at Department Of Computer Science,Saurashtra University, Rajkot. And i...
The center has decided to include, one more subject "finance", In order to create awareness among the people, whose large part of saving is locked in gold, real estate and...
Write a SQL query on emp table to display the employee name, his salary, sum of his department salary and second highest salary of his department in different columns. This...
Can anybody suggest any opensource IDE for running Django application??