About server power consumption..

Hi CE'ns...

Can anybody tell me how much power consumed by a typical server??

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    sea_j
    Hi CE'ns...

Can anybody tell me how much power consumed by a typical server??
    What is a 'typical server' ?
  • sea_j
    sea_j
    Means a server who is running normally... 😉
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    sea_j
    The power rating of the machine would be mentioned on the machine or its manual. There's no general answer.

Your own desktop computer, configured to run as a web server or database server may consume anywhere between 30 - 140 Watt. Totally depends on what all hardware components are attached to the computer/server.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    sea_j
    Doesn't the power consumption is totally dependent on its configuration ? Without knowing configuration how one can estimate the power consumption ?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    If this helps - the power consumption is also determined by how busy the CPU is. A totally busy CPU on iMac machine makes it consume about 229W!

A mac pro machine, capable of running very complex application consumes anywhere between ~40W to 230W, depending upon how busy the CPU is.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    And server that's setup with Raspberry Pi can consume just 3.5 W 😀

Soon (around mid-2015) 64-bit ARM servers will come to market, It will be surprising to see how much less power server can consume & still can perform all task which normal (x86_64) servers are capable to do.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am doing my last year project which is based on Rove/Robot. I am not going to halt the project even after my Bachelor's is complete, I will keep on...
It seems that the day is not far away when we will also be able to perform telepathy like Professor Charles Xavier, the famous mutant from Marvel’s X-Men comic series...
5) write a program to print a histogram of fibonaci series of n item i.e if input is 7 then output will be 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13...
I just want to ask that when during os booting process only page files are made in the hard disk of the programs present,then if the virtual memory is made...
Quote: It's been part of humanity's hygiene regimen for more than 4,000 years, but have you ever stopped to think what's actually in the stuff you're smearing across your teeth?...