Aakash 4 Specifications & Features Out! Do They Impress Us?

Aakash 4 specifications are finally out and the Government of India has made an official statement about how they propose the next instalment in the Aakash tablet series should be like. We've been following the entire Aakash episode ever since the idea of Aakash I was conceptualised and believe that the Government has come long way in improving the tablet to an extent that you might actually 'want' to buy one. We know that Aakash I sold in the Indian markets like a hot cake but the follow up tablets made it to the news for all the wrong reasons. Now that Aakash 4 specs are out, let's see what the technical folks in the MHRD have been up to.

The uninitiated may note that Aakash is a brand name of the series of Android based tablet computers produced by MHRD. It was conceptualised to be a very low cost tablet ($35) with a 7" touch screen running Android firmware. The main aim of the government was to keep the cost so low that any student can afford it. The basic version of the tablet was made available to the students only for Rs. 1500. But that was 2010! Since then lot of water has flown under the bridge and we're already talking about Aakash tablet IV.

aakash4

A few weeks ago, the technical team set up by the government started working on the draft of the technical specifications - including minimum hardware and software requirements, mechanical and environment specifications (viz. the SAR value), safety and standards compliance related parameters, maintenance and serviceability etc. was decided keeping the cost of the end product in mind. The official specs have been made available on the official websites of Department Of Electronics & Information Technology (DEITY). If you want to offer suggestions on the specifications, the government is lending an ear to you and may update the specs if your recommendations make real sense. Prof. Rajat Moona would be receiving all your feedback on the specifications and he can be contacted on moona [at] cdac [dot] in.

Quick Overview Of Aakash 4 Technical Specifications

Hardware:-

1. Memory (RAM) - 1 GB DDR3 SDRAM 1066 MT/S or better
2. Internal Storage: 4GB+ (integrated flash)
3. External Storage: MicroSD 2.0 up to 32GB. The interface would be compatible with NFC based SD Card.
4. Peripherals: USB OTG Micro-AB Receptacle (USB 2.0 Compliant) and one powered USB Type A Standard Receptacle (USB 2.0 Compliant).
5. Suppor For External Attachments: USB storage devices, keyboards, mouse, USB hub, 2G/3G/4G dongles available in India, USB to Ethernet adaptors, USB Printers etc.
6. USB & SD Cards would work simultaneously
7. Wireless Connectivity: IEEE 801.11 b/g/n
8. Bluetooth: 2.1 [ IEEE 802.15.1 ]
9. Battery: mAh value not known - But should play 3 Hrs of 720p HD video on single charge.
10. 3-Axis Acccelerometer - Included.
11. Weight: Should be < 500 grams

Software:-

Proposed: Dual boot with GNU/Linux distro (mostly uBuntu) along with Android 4.2.1 Jelly Bean. Support for most regular MS Office file formats including .doc, .docx, .ppt, .pptx, .xls, .xlsx, .odt, .odp, .ods.

For the detailed specs, we've attached the official PDF for your review.

Aakash 4 seems to be a step in the right direction that should make have the feeling of owning a worthy tablet. The specs look impressive assuming that the Government will keep the prices to the minimum it can. The bigger challenge in front of the government would be to follow the schedules it sets up for the launch of Aakash tablet. It's failed to do so for whatever reasons earlier, but the same story shouldn't be repeated with Aakash 4. It's not clear whether the original maker of the Aakash tablet, the Canada based Datawind would get the contract of manufacturing the tablets. It's likely that the the contract would go to some other Indian venture. Be ready for the debates whether Aakash 4 is Made in India or China.

We'll of course be following the story and bring you the latest updates from the Aakash world. In the mean time, take a moment to review the detailed specs mentioned in the attached PDF and share your comments.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Missed the attachment: Here It is: #-Link-Snipped-#
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    In the mean time, take a moment to review the detailed specs mentioned in the attached PDF and share your comments.
    But where's the attached PDF?

PS: I ordered one few years ago , but no confirmation by DataWind on that product and I haven't received it yet, may be the contract should be given to some other descent company.

I hope this tablet really have good specs and if I order I get it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I put the link in the first comment. Get it from the official website.
  • Sanyam Khurana
    Sanyam Khurana
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I put the link in the first comment. Get it from the official website.
    Sorry, didn't see it, while I was typing.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    All the CEoM contestants - this is your chance to add comments on the articles and improve your scores! Flood this place with comments, come on! 😁
  • AbhinavS
    AbhinavS
    The specifications are satisfactory. Actually more than expected. The only thing which can add to the value of Aakash is its delivery to the customers who order it. The previous versions of Aakash duped a lot many people who expected its arrival.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    The 4G connectivity thing seems to be impressive and it looks like with Mukesh Ambani interested in offering faster Internet access pan-India; the future of 4G seems bright. I hope the 4G connectivity makes it to the final version of the tablet so that it's future proof.

Second most interesting thing in Aakash tablet is the dual-boot operating system. The uBuntu OS is likely to make all the uBuntu fans happy and I hope it will bring in all the software available with it.

Maybe with all the technical features - the price of the tablet in retail stores won't be $35. I expect it to go well beyond $70 [ Rs. 4500 - Rs. 5500].
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Aakash 4 is definitely an improvement over Aaksh 2 as the specifications suggest. But some people are comparing this tablet to the Google Nexus 7. 😲
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Ankita Katdare
    Aakash 4 is definitely an improvement over Aaksh 2 as the specifications suggest. But some people are comparing this tablet to the Google Nexus 7. 😲
    PLEASEEE

Google Nexus 7 in only $200 is seems to be way ahead of Aakash 4 and I do not think had any competition with Aakash. If people are talking or thinking in that direction, that they may be hugely disappointed.

-CB
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Google quality can't be compared to anything else in the world They are classes apart

Compare just the process speed that will tell you volumes about the quality of Nexus

Next up Aakash if it is completely made in India I think it is a good fair piece of game But Nexus and Akash no compares
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    I no longer trust Ubislate. Pinky promises.

Are they comparing Aakash Tablets with Nexus ? You gotta be kidding me! 😲
    Google Nexus is the god-product, a product dropped right from the heaven!

Even if you compare Aakash tablets with Micromax Funbook,Micromax will beat it to death.
  • RajeshCDCA
    RajeshCDCA
    Google Nexus is much butter then Aakash or such cheap tabs but ya it comes with a price.
    and DEITY will never deliver this tablet at cheap rate in time by the time they will deliver other company's will take over the market!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Folks at Mozilla certainly don't want phones to break your bank. The company had said that the Firefox OS powered phones would be very cheap - and to everyone's surprise,...
Well CEOM is out and we can see a new wave of competitveness showering in from many CEans What is your take on this I personally feel that the posting...
Next KYCEan in the KYCEan - II series is in making. Can you make any guess who is that CEan? There are two purpose of asking this, one is we...
Hey can you guys tell me what will be the power dissipated by a diode 1N4007 if excited by a AC source of 30V peak to peak Cut in also...
some of the scientists at korean advanced institute of science and technology have created the first transparent computer chip..this chip is known as TRRAM (Transparent Resistive Random Access Memory)..it is...