4G Explosion In India By 2018 - BofA ML Report

New Bank of America Merrill Lynch (BofA ML) report hints at upcoming 4G explosion in India by FY 2018. The report says that India will see upwards of 9 crore 4G service subscribers in the next two years. It also hints at possible benefit to the 4G players like Airtel, Vodafone and Idea Cellular if the heavyweight Reliance Jio telecom delays its entry to the market. Mukesh Ambani has earlier confirmed that Reliance Jio will begin rolling out its Reliance Jio 4G Launch By December, Informs Mukesh Ambani this year.

The report also says that Indians will own about 18 crore 4G enabled smartphones in the next two year timeframe. The rapid migration to 4G capable handsets will drive the 4G usage in India, boosting the subscriber count from current almost nil to 90 million in the next two years. The report has been prepared by analysts Sachin Salgaonkar, Karan Parmanandka and Simon Dong-je Woo from BofA ML.

The report looks at the Reliance Jio Broadband & 4G Plan Tariff : AWESOME! and makes a prediction that the gap between 3G and 4G tariff will shrink. The margin will be so thin that it may led to current 2G subscribers directly jumping the ship to 4G, skipping the third generation.

The report says that the 3G users are likely to remain confined to the areas where 4G coverage is limited. It further adds that because the 3G coverage is likely to remain wider than 4G, the 3G subscriber uptake is likely to remain stronger.

The report lists Airtel, Vodafone and Idea Cellular as current major players in the 4G domain and expects that Reliance Jio entry would lead to stiff competition. The major players are likely to roll out 4G services in the urban areas by the end FY 2015 and 2016 is likely to see the expansion of 4G coverage to tier II and III cities in India.

4G-Explosion-India-2018-BofA-Report

The report notes that the entry of Reliance Jio will bring down the current tariff for 4G services. The top 5% customers, mostly post-paid, of the big players won't prefer switching to new services by Reliance Jio; and hence Reliance may find it difficult to capture the creamy subscribers. Reliance will have to create a major differentiator in terms of pricing and overall features to attract these customers.

These top 5% consumers of the telcos contribute about 15% of the revenues and Reliance must think of getting these consumers.

That said, the report expects Reliance Jio to become the market leader by 2017 in terms of overall subscriber base, and continue till 2025.

As of now, Airtel has already began offering its 4G services in over 296 cities in India with over 35,000 base stations. Airtel's going gung-ho to capture new users by offering 4G plans at the price of 3G. Other major players like Vodafone has confirmed that it will begin 4G rollout starting December in Vodafone 4G In Mumbai By December 2015 and Vodafone 4G Service In Delhi NCR Begins In December On 1800 MHz Band.

Reliance is in the process of setting up infrastructure at key locations throughout India and is also preparing 4G capable Reliance LYF 4G LTE Smartphones To Ensure Rapid 4G Penetration In India at affordable rates. It has already began testing 4G services with its Reliance Jio 4G Beta Rolls Out For Reliance Employees and in select areas in Reliance Jionet 4G Hotspot In Mumbai At Select Ganesh Utsav Pandals.

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Big Guy there is a new scope for UHD in India, Once UHD and SUHD content becomes more prevalent the existing networks will not be sufficient. So it will become inevitable and ppl will start migrating to 4G.

The cost factor will make it a little harder to spread in the early days But it will soon be a major share holder in the nation.

PS: Airtel 4G is not true 4G FYI I am sure u guys are well aware of that
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    UHD content is not available all over and I really think it's going to take a while before content ups the resolution. I don't think cost is going to be a 'factor', once you get used to higher speeds, 3G will look boring. I predict people will not mind paying higher than 3G for 4G services.

Jeffrey Samuel
    PS: Airtel 4G is not true 4G FYI I am sure u guys are well aware of that
    Could you throw some light on this?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    4G as a technology boasts of never imagined hand off cycles.

In India the implemented 4G so patchy that not even a single city said to have 4G coverage, has a complete coverage.

Without this Coverage issue addressed no company can boast of having a complete 4G coverage over any city.

4G on the fly is one thing that is worth enjoying by every person who is using 4G.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have been quite desperately investigating for methods to transfer money abroad and pay merchants abroad. PayPal can be used if you gets lucky that your debit/credit card is accepted....
Hey all, Im Mohan, Right now doing my 7th sem in Ece. I dont have oppurtunities in my college to get placed in telecom companies,I dono how to search a...
The chief product officer at Facebook, Chris Cox has asked a large number of Facebook employees to ditch their iPhones in favor of Android. While this may come as a...
Rightfully called the king of four wheel drive SUVs, Toyota Land Cruiser 200 Facelift variant has been launched in India. Available for a starting price of Rs. 1.29 Crore (Ex-Showroom...
Hello Crazy Engineers I have completed my b tech in 2012(information technology) and i got an offer in start company.my job involves as below . (The Job Involves convert PDF...