4 stroke and 2 stroke engines? 4 cylinders, 8 cylinders & 16 cylinders.

Can anyone please help me with these. I'd like to know what is the main difference between 2 stroke and 4 stroke engines and why are there 4 cylinders, 8 cylinders and 16 cylinders in Automobiles.

Replies

• amkhilz
    amkhilz
    to keep it really simple it goes like this..
    in ic engines(internal combustion engines) we get power by burning fuels like petrol(spark ignited) or diesel (compression ignited) (though other alternate fuels are used). in 2 stroke engines there is one combustion in every 2 strokes,i.e, for every two up/down movement of piston. on the other hand in 4 stroke engines for every 4 strokes(up/down movement of piston) there is one combustion.

now as far as the cylinders are concerned..
    the capacity of cylinders are usually given in cc(cubic centimeters) or litres.. you can have a good range of them. to have more balance and to get better power it is advisable to have multiple cylinders instead of just one cylinder. for example a maruti alto car is roughly 800 cc. instead of having one big cylinder with 800cc capacity they split the volume into 3 cylinders. so it is a 3 cylinder engine.
    bigger sized engines can go from 4 to 6 to 12.. even 16 cylinder engines are available i guess... you might have come across terms like 4 in-line, v6 etc. they are just the arrangement of cylinders. like 4 cylinders in line or 6 cylinders arranged in a v pattern with 3 on each side at an angle(i think its 180deg not really sure though)
  • Anoop Mathew
    Anoop Mathew
    amkhilz
    to keep it really simple it goes like this..
    in ic engines(internal combustion engines) we get power by burning fuels like petrol(spark ignited) or diesel (compression ignited) (though other alternate fuels are used). in 2 stroke engines there is one combustion in every 2 strokes,i.e, for every two up/down movement of piston. on the other hand in 4 stroke engines for every 4 strokes(up/down movement of piston) there is one combustion.

now as far as the cylinders are concerned..
    the capacity of cylinders are usually given in cc(cubic centimeters) or litres.. you can have a good range of them. to have more balance and to get better power it is advisable to have multiple cylinders instead of just one cylinder. for example a maruti alto car is roughly 800 cc. instead of having one big cylinder with 800cc capacity they split the volume into 3 cylinders. so it is a 3 cylinder engine.
    bigger sized engines can go from 4 to 6 to 12.. even 16 cylinder engines are available i guess... you might have come across terms like 4 in-line, v6 etc. they are just the arrangement of cylinders. like 4 cylinders in line or 6 cylinders arranged in a v pattern with 3 on each side at an angle(i think its 180deg not really sure though)
    Thanks Mate, yes there is a concept car from Cadillac which has 16 cylinders, it's called the Cadillac Sixteen.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I've written a C++ Program to conduct a Live Quiz and am using the Turbo C++ V4.5 software.Please suggest ways in which i can make my program execution more presentable...
hi m krati pursuing BE(cse).........i am interested in undergoing summer training in some good companies like hcl or ibm.....so what is the proceduren all.........n i hav only 2 months.........n the...
Hi guys Am interested in doing MS in Software Engineering in the US or UK. I am a software engineer with 4.5 years of experience with my under graduation in...
I just want to know how to play audio and video files on red hat 5.4? I have downloaded Mplayer and I don't know how to install it as it...
I want to know how to decide how much height require for central storage tank..... Following points may helpful.... Tank wants to construct for a township project. In township total...