3D Printed Cars: Good Idea or Bad?

While I was composing the article about #-Link-Snipped-#, something stuck me, are cars with 3D printed parts a good idea? For starters, let’s talk about the advantages. First, is the option of spare parts. Imagine this, you find that you have been T-bone collision and damaged one of your side panels. When you take your car to your service centre they say that it will take days or perhaps weeks to procure the side panel from the company. However if you have a 3D-printed car the service centre will be able to download the schematics and print the panel in a day and fit it to your car.

Second, we have the question of weight. Currently people are seeking lighter cars are they guarantee better fuel efficiency. The car built of 3D printed cars will be immensely light weight thus increasing fuel efficiency by a great margin. Third, we have the option of customisation. The customer will have the option playing around with the design and look of his/her dashboard. He can choose any colour he/she wants and print the inner panels of the car.

While we have taken a look at the advantages, let’s take a look at the flip side. First 3D printed panels are not that strong and in a crash with regular car they are sure to take much more damage than regular ones. Second there is a big fire hazard to go with plastic panel cars.

So what do you, the members of CrazyEngineers think about cars made out of 3D printed parts? Voice your options below.

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Interesting topics and genuine questions raised.
    Though we tend to regard 3D printing as the latest positive revolution in the industry, there are many a bad effects of the tech that haven't yet seen the light of the day.

On one hand, we have environment enthusiasts trying to reduce the use of plastics in as many ways as possible, and on the other we have these new technologies banking on plastics. The most popular & cheapest 3D printers use plastic filament. Even though the 3D printers consume plastics, the machines keep leaving unused or excess plastic in the print beds. That problem needs to be tackled before moving forward.

Other than plastics, there's resin, certain metals, and ceramics are use in most 3D printers. Many 3D printers use resins that can't be recycled at all. I've read that with resin, when you recycle it, you turn it into some non-usable form of resin because it's easier/cheaper than making it back into what it was to start with.

This means the materials used here are not recyclable in the way that glass, steel, and aluminum are.

Now as #-Link-Snipped-# mentioned, we need to come up with a really tough material that can withstand the impact of a major accident-like blow.

While the ramifications of any new technology can never be fully gamed out ahead of time, we need to start thinking.

PS: My next post in this discussion will be about all the positive effects of 3D printing. Looking forward to more opinions till then.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

It is a matter of satisfaction that Mr.Anand Madanagopal and his Cardiac Design Labs won yet another prestigious award for his MIRCaM. The Indian Electronics and Semiconductor Association announced the...
For a long time now, Twitter has been receiving criticism for its tedious and painful signing up process.During the sign up, Twitter takes the contact from the user’s phone and...
Yesterday evening one of my friend's mum called me up to ask if I can install WhatsApp on her old phone. I now have it and it's a Samsung Duos...
Samsung's sent out passes to the media that drops hints at what to expect from the Samsung Galaxy Unpacked 2015 event. The event is scheduled on March 1 in Barcelona...
mam, plz tell latest IES syllabus for electrical branch...also tel what it takes to crack this exam? Should we keep attempting it in the hope of cracking it?