3D Design & CAD Software

Hello crazyengineers members,

I hope I'm posting this question on the correct thread.
I want to start my own custom motorcycle project, and I want to use software to draw and design the motorcycle itself and some other parts. I know for personal project this is probably not necessary, but I also want to get familiar with these software.

I think most 2D motorcycle renderings are done on the Photoshop, and the parts and 3D models are done using either CATIA, SolidWorks or PTC Creo. But I could be wrong.

What do you guys think? Which software should I use to get the job done?

Thanks!

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    There are many other factors that go in to this. What software do you have access to and are familiar with?

If you have Catia or Solidworks then you can use that. Even 3Ds Max would be able to make a beautiful 3D rendering (with animation as well) if you're not looking for a technically accurate 3D model.

If I remember correctly surface modelling in Catia is pretty powerful - used by many to model cars. You could try exploring this. If you're not familiar with this it can be challenging to learn.

For 2D I personally recommend AutoCAD.
  • zm-i
    zm-i
    Thank you for the responses everyone.

Realistically, I will have access to SolidWorks, AutoCAD, and perhaps Photoshop. I have no experience in using these programs, so I want to consider the availability and accessibility of tech support and tutorials.

Also, I plan on doing all this on a personal computer. I just want to run the aforementioned programs smoothly and stably. Would I actually need a workstation? I understand that a workstation is quite an investment. Based on your experience, what system or specification is suitable for this application?
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    zm-i
    Also, I plan on doing all this on a personal computer. I just want to run the aforementioned programs smoothly and stably. Would I actually need a workstation? I understand that a workstation is quite an investment. Based on your experience, what system or specification is suitable for this application?
    Typical CAD workstations - although awesome 😁 - can become very expensive very quickly. HP's "entry level" workstation #-Link-Snipped-# retails at above #-Link-Snipped-#.

I've seen graphics cards for CAD start 10,000 INR (#-Link-Snipped-#). A decent mid-range one can cost as much as a regular desktop. 😀

You may not need a workstation right now - not unless you plan on working on assemblies with thousands of parts or doing super realistic rendering.

I'd say a decent i5/i7 system, 4-8 GB RAM and a graphics card (a regular one meant for gaming would also help) should be more than enough to handle most assemblies & renders

An SSD would also help. SSDs can be expensive, so a 120 GB drive for the OS (where you should install the CAD software and keep your project's files) and a regular HDD for the rest of the stuff (movies, songs, etc) would be economical.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

A wheel having 50 mm diameter and the shaft dia is 15 mm and length of the shaft is 75 mm.The width of the wheel is 20 mm.Please let me...
I wish to know whether we have any folks who have their starups running from colleges. Anyone? Tell us about your starup in this thread 😀
The evolution of species has taken different shapes in different forms. Habits, environmental elements, adaptive methods had taken long time to converge and get a compatible guise inside the genes....
Notion Ink, a Bangalore based Indian Company, has recently unveiled two of its 2 in 1 hybrid device named Able 10 and Able 10 Enterprise respectively. Able 10 is a...
After getting his Bachelor's degree in Electrical and Electronics engineering, Karthik Juvvala started working as a software engineer at Capgemini. He later also completed his MBA in Marketing from IIM...