2-dimensional objects exist only on paper

So can anyone prove , what i stated in the title ?

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    zaveri
    Interesting thread, #-Link-Snipped-# . Reminds me of a similar thread by #-Link-Snipped-# about 'randomness'. It's quite difficult to think of something that's only defined by the length and breadth and has no height. That brings me to thinking of atomic structures. Is it true that Atoms move in all the three planes? Can't recall molecular structures and how the atoms define their orbits. Adding the thread to 'Watch List' 😀
  • Nachko
    Nachko
    zaveri
    Wow, that's an interesting statement! I mean, its ambiguity is charming 😀
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    Let's see. When you scrawl something on paper, you do give it some height, in the terms of the pencil lead deposited on the paper. Hence anything you draw on paper is three dimensional.. not to forget that the paper is 3D too. The "2D" image exists only in your brain.

Which will bring us, I think, to computers. Is everything on your screen right now....... 2D? Nope, it is formed by pixels, and pixels are 3D 😛

Coming back to what I said earlier, 2D exists only in your brain.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    A Moebius strip is a single surface with a single boundary, unlike a sheet of paper, which has a single boundary but two surfaces.
    Möbius Strip -- from Wolfram MathWorld
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    Originally this argument was started by my friends, and this is how they proved it:

Most laymen will believe that paper is a 2D object (even though it is not).

but in reality even a paper has 3 dimensions, a length , breadth and a thickness.

the thickness will have a numerical value far more negligible when compared to the length and breadth, that is something like 0.00034 cms.

but yet that value cannot be rounded off to zero

because then volume of that paper will also become zero, since volume= length * breadth * thickness.

and if volume becomes zero, it will only imply one thing, that is the object does not exist.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Volume is zero. However, area is not.
  • Gurjap
    Gurjap
    When people talk about mobius strip, I usually say.... you're looking at the wrong surface. How about the almost-negligible surface at the side? Could you have a mobius rubber band, made out of thick, rectangular cross section rubber?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

obviously area will not be zero. but then volume is not the property of 2d objects.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Even what's on paper has to be scribbled/printed with some marking medium, no matter how slight a rectangle I draw on the paper, it is still embossed on the paper and has a certain thickness, even if negligibly small. In that sense, it is not 2-D. Nothing is 2-D.

I hope we break barriers of the plank length and measure the 'strings', which, are 1-D (for believers of string theory).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Someone please show and explain me the solution to this. How to find the general solutions for these differential equations? 1. y'-2y = 6 2.y'+y = 5sin.(4t/3 + pi) ..........
can anyone suggest me some project ideas for major project (B.Tech) my interest is in web development and network security
once a king decided to distribute gold coins on his birthday, he called 10 goldsmiths and asked eachone to prepare 10 gold coins of 10grams. one cheated and prepared 9grams...
sir...i got 172 in aieee 2012..cn i get mechanical branch in MANIT?? i'm a general category frm indore.!!
I want to know, how the resitance boxes are designed and what are the cosiderations.