2.5 Years Experience : MS / MBA Or Continue With Job?

Hi all,
This is Pankaj jain from chandigarh.I am 2012 passout graduate and did Btech in Electrical engineering.I have a 2.5 year work experience with oswal group a textile manufacturer enterprises in electrical engg (technical).

Replies

• Pankaj21
    Pankaj21
    Hi All,
    I have 2.5years of experience in electrical engg and presently i am working with oswal group.
    Now, i feel like i should pursue M.S from Abroad and want a domain change in management line as we all know their is nothing left in india for electrical field.

1)Could you please guide me that which place should i focus to get admission for M.S so that after studying from there, I can settle down there and pursue my job there only?

2)Please tell me that job market these days is good for M.S people or MBA people ?

3) Please tell me the approximate expenses that i would have to incur?

4)Also please suggest that how can i manage to prepare for M.S while working?

5) Is it worth doing or i should continue with my job ?

Thanks in Advance !
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Pankaj21
    Now, i feel like i should pursue M.S from Abroad and want a domain change in
    MS is likely to keep you confined to technical field for a while. You may look for MBA course if you wish to switch to management, but I'd recommend you to check the economics of MBA from abroad. It 'may' turn out to be a costly affair given the time+money investment. Take your decision wisely after considering all the important factors.

Pankaj21
    as we all know their is nothing left in india for electrical field.
    I'm sure a lot of our fellow engineers would strongly disagree with that. India is emerging market and all the growth lies here.

Pankaj21
    1)Could you please guide me that which place should i focus to get admission for M.S
    Decide on what you really want to do - MS or MBA. In my opinion if MBA is what you want to do, India is the best place to do it; provided you get admitted to top 10 - 15 MBA college in India. Else, it's pure waste of money.

For MS, USA has always been the hot destination for Indian engineers.

Pankaj21
    2)Please tell me that job market these days is good for M.S people or MBA people ?
    As you'd understand, it's impossible to tell. Markets are always open for talents. The industry won't accept average candidates be it MS or MBA. It ultimately depends on what domain you are in, what your existing skills-sets are and whether the industry values your existing experience.

Pankaj21
    3) Please tell me the approximate expenses that i would have to incur?
    Won't that depend on which country, institute you go to and whether you get scholarship? Banks will be willing to fund all of that for you - but as I said, you should calculate the cost of opportunity.

Pankaj21
    4)Also please suggest that how can i manage to prepare for M.S while working?
    Part time and weekends are your friends. In my opinion, it basically is all about how determined you are to achieve your end goal. If you want to get into your dream institute no matter what, you'd be highly efficient at your work so that you can go home early, skip movies, casual chats with your friends, manage time just to maximise the time to invest in studies. It's all about how determined you are.

Pankaj21
    5) Is it worth doing or i should continue with my job ?
    You haven't informed us about the kind of role you play and responsibilities. I'd strongly recommend that you should continue with your existing job while you explore and work on other opportunities.
  • silver123
    silver123
    The purpose of the two degrees is quite different, and you must recognize and understand the difference. It is important for one to know one's interests and ambitions. Most good MBA programs require candidates to have 2-5 years of work experience. With work experience, you would have a better idea of whether an MBA is for you.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Myself Mrinal Saha, did B.Tech in IT on 2005 & having 8.4 yrs experience in GIS & Engineering.Now I have resigned from my company & plan to do CDAC PG...
Hi, I completed my graduation in electrical engineering. i joined as a fresher in MNC company and working as an automation testing engineer from past 1.2 years .I worked on...
How can we implement cursor, procedure and function in sql (oracle)????!!!
Hi, so i am 15 and have fairly recently started learning about electronics, how it works etc. and i plan to make technology of a sort later in life. So...
An aspiring entrepreneur wants to start a website and has sent following questionnaire. I thought we'd discuss the questions here for the benefit of larger audience. Go through the answers...