Shell and tube type heat exchanger designing

hey friends i just started a project on designing and analysis of shell and tube type tubular heat exchanger and need a help on that what type of data i have required for the initials ???
if anyone of you did such type of project or had any knowledge then please share...

Replies

• kaarthii
    kaarthii
    there are so many reference link for shell and tube exchanger. for designing u should know the basic of simple heat exchanger.
  • anaghagrwl
    anaghagrwl
    thanks for the suggestion but I am in touch of many books of heat exchanger designing . There are some gap between theoretical and practical things so I am asking for any suggestions for real time problems.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    anaghagrwl
    thanks for the suggestion but I am in touch of many books of heat exchanger designing . There are some gap between theoretical and practical things so I am asking for any suggestions for real time problems.
    Difficult to offer suggestions unless more details are given. Have you looked at 'Heat Transmission' by McAdams? Is it a single pass or multipass? What are the fluids, temperatures, quantity of heat to be transferred, contaminations in the fluids, requirement of baffles and such data? Is it an academic exercise or a real life , to-be-built product?
  • anaghagrwl
    anaghagrwl
    it is a real time problem
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Details are still needed.
  • Richard O'Connor
    Richard O'Connor
    Designing a shell and tube heat exchanger is easy as long as you have the right information. The exact type will generally depend on the manufacturer, for example the company I work for will offer straight tubes where as others offer a secondary surface (finned tube). Both types have their own advantages and disadvantages, which comes down to operational data and maximum allowable pressure drops etc.

In any case, to design a suitable heat exchanger you need to know what your putting into it, what you want to take out of it and what you have available to do that with. In other words;

Hot fluid Inlet temperature
    Hot fluid flow rate
    Required fluid outlet temperature (or heat dissipation in kW)

Cold fluid inlet temperature
    Cold fluid flow rate

If you contact a manufacturer you also need to specify the fluid types as this will affect the performance and the materials which can be used.

For the best performance you need the coldest coolant possible, it's the same as imagining trying to cool down a drink. Using ice will cool it down better than just topping it up with cool water. A high flow rate is also good as this will take out more heat, but a flow rate which is too high can lead to erosion or a high pressure loss, but we advise our customers when this is likely to occur so I'm sure that other manufacturers will too.

I hope you found this information to be of use, any questions just let me know.

Richard

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hie dis s sravani...entering into final year now...can someone suggest me any ideas for doing my project...my area of interest s data base..
I've done B.tech in Electrical & Electronics from a small unreputed college and only software companies come for recruitment. I want to know that which sector job will give me...
Is it a myth or reality to construct eco friendly, economical buildings with sustainable construction practice. Should strength be the criteria or durability. Kindly inform the best practices adopted elsewhere.
Hi all, I'm experiencing a difficulty understanding how the trapezoidal loads are distributed and how to shear moment diagrams are drawn for structural members subjected to trapezoidal loading. For example...
hello guy's I want to know the current chat server address of facebook.I ping for facebook.com and found "chat.facebook.com" and the port no is 5222 but seems like it's not...