Is Apple killing competition by not supporting Flash?

Do you think by not offering Flash support on iPad and iPhone; Apple is killing competition? Or is it very well justified that Apple's adopting the new standards like CSS3 and HTML5?

What's your opinion?

Replies

• itchap
    itchap
    I don't think that apple is killing competition by not supporting Flash. Cause Apple and Adobe worked together since very long time. And Adobe is still using old technology in Flash. So as Apple is want new technology for its devices then Adobe should upgrade its technologies But Adobe didn't did that. And faliure of Mac is also one example of that. And also Microsoft launch silverlight in competition with Flash. Which uses new standards like CSS3 and HTML5.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    itchap
    And faliure of Mac is also one example of that.
    I won't call Mac a failure. However, in Steve Jobs' on words; Adobe's flash is one of the prime reasons Macs crashed.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I think its better to see that the victims of this goes beyond Adobe: the website owners who use flash, and users who want to access them by their own choice. While its good that we should diverge towards HTML5, it isn't a "defacto" technology and isn't so prevalent. There should at least be a reasonable transition period rather than being forced to adapt quickly. Can you imagine if OpenOffice doesn't support .doc files?
  • gohm
    gohm
    My thoughts agree with Ash's post
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    ash
    I think its better to see that the victims of this goes beyond Adobe: the website owners who use flash, and users who want to access them by their own choice. While its good that we should diverge towards HTML5, it isn't a "defacto" technology and isn't so prevalent. There should at least be a reasonable transition period rather than being forced to adapt quickly. Can you imagine if OpenOffice doesn't support .doc files?
    well, I would like to differ on this point. Most internet users do not even know what flash is(or what it is about), leave alone making a choice on what to use(do they even know of an alternative?). And one must be saying, that's exactly the point, they do not know about any other alternative so let us give them flash!
    This is where the thinking goes wrong. If webmasters and developers gave them alternatives to flash, the common users would use those instead w/o even giving a thought as to why and how about those alternatives. These users will get their work done and be gone, they don't worry much about what is given to them to be used, so long as their work gets done. That's the same reason why Windows 98,2000 and XP are still being used and same reason why people are still using Internet Explorer 6 even though better alternatives are available.

And if devs and webmasters had to work on something, then why not something that is new and advanced rather than work with something that has aged and hasn't improved much technically.

Apple, Google, Miscrosoft(surprising as they are also promoting their own Silverlight technology), Mozilla among others, are promoting HTML5 and are trying hard to push for it. Sure the future lies there.

There sure is no point in making your own product hostage to some 3rd party developer's software that may ruin and defame the product if that software fails. That is exactly what Apple is trying to do. They are trying to break Adobe's monopoly by limiting the usage of flash and promoting an open standard. I don't see anything wrong in that! IPad and IPhone is his product, he may do what he wants . If people do not like then let them not buy it. He doesn't care. That's the same reason we find Apple's products costlier than their competitor's.

HTML5 is relatively new and it still has a way to go before they actually become web standards but for this to happen one big name such as Apple or Google(Chrome OS n browser) helps the case a lot. A lot of background work has gone into it and its stable enough to be used in its nascent stage.

for more clarification one may read the below mentioned links. I found them very informative and an interesting read.
    #-Link-Snipped-#

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    You've brought up excellent points. In the face of the monopolies of the Microsofts and the Intels of today, exposure of the better alternatives remain obscure.

However.. 😉

Regardless of what the "common" user feels, restricting full access still does deprive access for people. What if some people DO prefer developing in Flash and wants users to see their work? Flash isn't a dead technology, it is still mature and works well on most devices. There are many thousands of sites that still use Flash. Choice is still important, that's why cross compatibility is a wonderful thing. Some sites still even use RealVideo for streaming, and users can still view them by using the right software.

Sure, if you want to take the propriety route and only run your own software, thats all good and dandy. But trying to promote oneself as supporting "open" web standards while deliberately shutting out a technology is just hypocritical (like most of their I'm a PC, I'm a Mac ads). There is absolutely nothing to stop the adoption of HTML5 on whatever platform or device. If more developer and authoring tools are available, people won't hesitate to adopt HTML5 over Flash. If more browsers start supporting it, then it won't be an issue for end users. No one (developer, content provider nor user) is bounded to the apparent shackles of Flash.

As you said, he may do what he likes. His own article is of course just deliberating over his own products and 50k apps on the Apps store, barely mentioning "PCs" a few times. This is merely a move for the benefit of Apple mostly, not users. Even if users choose to jailbreak their devices to run Flash, Apple obviously won't cater to the hardware requirements to run them smoothly. And as for Apple being the hero to promote HTML5, there is no doubt a marketing move behind that 😉

Back to my original point, victims of this move will be website owners and users. Let them decide what to use.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi everyone, I am trying to make obstacle avoidance robot using computer vision.As apart of it want to implement side fill, top point location modules( which are provided in Roborealm...
Hi, folks I am grade 12 student want to know all best college in pune (both commerce and engineering) in pune . I also want to do computer certification in...
HI CEans... I attend an aptitude test belongs to Globarena... It consists of 10 questions,each with 4 options.And 10 min time. If possible try to solve within the Time. Its...
Hi guys, I've got a project which requires me to work on a something that demonstrates engineering principles not necessarily with regards to my field of study, Mechanics and electronics....
PIT Solution, a Kerala-based start-up, and Brain Mind Institute of Swiss Federal Institute, will be working on the Blue Brain Project - a $3 billion initiative,which is the world's first...