The Company Hierarchy - is it necessary?

This post comes after reading a blog post by Dominic Sayers: #-Link-Snipped-#

What I want to know is whether the pyramidal structure that every company follows for management, is the best. Are there alternatives? If yes,what are they?

[PS: Has anyone read Ricardo Semler's Seven Day Weekend ? ]

Replies

• dominicsayers
    dominicsayers
    Thanks for reading my post, The_Big_K. I wrote it some time ago and have been wanting to return to the subject more recently.

My current feeling is that the age of the large corporation may be coming to an end since the advantages of rapid communication and economies of scale can now be replicated for loosely-federated groups of smaller organisations.

Clearly, it's easier to build a non-hierarchical organisation if it is small enough to be managed on such a basis. In summary, I think the military or feudal model has had its day and we will see success coming to more agile and probably smaller enterprises.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Wow! We have Dominic Sayers on CE ๐Ÿ˜ ! Welcome to CE, sire!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Welcome! ๐Ÿ˜€
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi Sir,

I have a doubt isn't it necessary to have company hierarchy for better management of an organisation?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I guess what Mr Dominic highlights is more smaller businesses. I'm guessing that's where a more horizontal structure would work well. As we've seen in 2008, even large conglomerates are not invulnerable.
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    Well for larger businesses its not possible to handle like small busineses the workload is immense and authorative powers has to be shared but still traditional method of handling business is prefered over current method as those methods build tradition and employees used to love their companies and gave 100%

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am trying to write a keylogger in c++. I dont have any idea how to take input from different programs though. Any help?
Hye Friends, I want to know in general that how the dia of the warm shaft/size of warm gear is decided if know the input like moter rpm, size of...
CE is now officially 29,000 members strong! We added about 1000 new members in last 5.5 days ๐Ÿ˜€ ! ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜
Discuss the announcement - https://www.crazyengineers.com/forum/announcements/11487-twenty-nine-thousand-ceans.html in this thread!
hi i 'm new to this forum..., i need some crazy projects.., if any come to know ., plz help me