How Opera Turbo Works?

I've Opera 11.1 and it features the 'turbo' mode for slow internet connections. When turned on, the Opera Turbo compresses the images and makes the loading very fast. I've a little idea of how this works and look forward to receiving well informed comments on how this mode works.

Typically, when you access any page, the browser will start fetching images from the server. With the Opera Turbo, the images will first be downloaded to Opera's servers and then compressed. The images will then be served to the browser.

I look forward to more technical responses about this mode from CEans 😀

Replies

• silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Does it affect fast connections in any way?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    silverscorpion
    Does it affect fast connections in any way?
    Yes, you can manual turn on the Turbo mode. The experience will be even more faster on faster connections. Overall Opera has maintained its status as the fastest browser available. I tried the turbo mode on CrazyEngineers and the graphics (PNG files) look bit distorted. May work on higher resolution photos very well.
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Found their promotional video:
    [video=youtube;CZfFU7R75Wo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CZfFU7R75Wo&feature=[/video]

Opera Turbo is described as a server-side optimization and compression technology that speeds up data transfer by reducing the amount of data that needs to be downloaded in order to view web pages by up to 80 percent.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    What I want to know how does the browser route the images first to the server and then download. The whole activity should actually increase the download time.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Prof. S. Raman, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Madras explained the concept of Typical Micro Instructions in Computer Organization. Feel free to ask your questions and please contribute...
Prof. S. Raman, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Madras explained the concept of Addressing Modes and its types in Computer Organization. Feel free to ask your questions and...
Prof. S. Raman, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Madras explained some of the Example Problems and Exercises in Computer Organization. Feel free to ask your questions and please...
Prof. S. Raman, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Madras explained the concept of the Introduction to Memory System including the basics in Computer Organization. Feel free to ask...
Prof. S. Raman, Department of Computer Science and Engineering, IIT Madras explained the concept of the CPU and Memory Interaction in Computer Organization. Feel free to ask your questions and...