Why AMD generate more heat then INTEL

Hello friend's,
I want to know what is the reason that AMD(more speedy then INTEL) processors ejects more heat then INTEL(less speedy then AMD).
Is AMD uses more SRAM(generate more heat then DRAM but SRAM ia more speedy) then INTEL.

Replies

• Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    No issue!!
    Guys i want to know why AMD processors consumes and ejects more heat than INTEL??
  • Leo
    Leo
    Hi Mohit you might be knowing though a Processor contains many things like capacitor, resistors, micro IC's etc. but the main thing that actually controls performance of CPU is transistors it uses. After introduction of Pentium family processing speed increased many times its just because Intel succeeded in reducing heat of processor.

A transistor have a drain, source and a channel. Source via which current enters, drain via which current leaves and channel via which real processing happens. The leakage current from channel is reason for heating of CPU and it's slow speed. In Pentium family Intel introduced SiO2 gate in channel, due to which heating reduced and speed increased considerably. AMD put its competition to Intel but later found that there was a problem in cache of AMD which lead to overheating, though AMD had tested its CPU before release due to some reason it failed to detect that problem before launching it to market. This was the reason why AMD remained behind Intel in challenge.

Meanwhile Intel replaced SiO2 gate with Hafnium(Hi-k) due to which not only speed of CPU increased but size also reduced to 45nm, which lead to placing 3 times more transistors on same core(This concept then lead to invention of i-core family processor). AMD tried to be in competition with Intel by placing its new CPU's with Siliconed Accelerated Performance Units(APU's) but failed to beat Hi-K performance by Intel.

I think that information was quit OK for you. I don't rate any of them as good or bad, AMD just faced a little bad luck because even though even after several tests and patience it failed to detect problem before putting challenge to Intel.

I love both processing technologies and my hats of to all engineers working there due to which i today feel proud being an engineer.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    I don't find this generalisation appropriate. You can't compare two different technologies of different computer powers. There are many instances where AMD generates less heat than their INTEL equivalents. It all depends on which type of technology is being used in their processor.
  • Leo
    Leo
    optimystix
    I don't find this generalisation appropriate. You can't compare two different technologies of different computer powers. There are many instances where AMD generates less heat than their INTEL equivalents. It all depends on which type of technology is being used in their processor.
    I never said any one of them is better. I said, i am not rating anyone of them is better also i never said that AMD generates more heat than Intel. I cleared AMD faced some problem related to cache when Pentium family was released and it doesn't face same problem today. Please don't take it other way, i never wanted to say Intel is superior, i just think AMD faced little bad luck and that is too, is my personal opinion.
  • d_vipul
    d_vipul
    I get that.........
    Thanks for you are explanation.
    Me too want to ask same doubts....
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    no offence meant LEO. I wasn't pointing at you. Infact your technical answer was good enough. My reply was targeted at the original question in place. Because the notion that AMD generates more heat than Intel was a notion of the past. At that time AMD was a newcomer in the field while INTEL was firmly established. Now there is hardly any difference between the two. Both of them are highly competitive with AMD being a 'value for money' brand. These days there is no such thing as AMD generating more heat or vice versa. It depends on which two processors you are comparing as both may use same or different technology and that can create a difference. It would be unfair to generalise

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is the difference between time sharing and multi tasking???
tell me answer of this question how to make connection between webform and sql server in asp.net with c#.
Hey Guys Techfest has launched its events.Here are some of them: ArchiTech: Design and Innovate Autobots: Enter the age of Robo Sapiens Code Maestros: No motors, no engines, only pure...
Hi, I'm a senior at a University in the states, and I am trying to get an electrical enginnering club going at our school. I don't have a problem getting...
i am a btech final year student...recently i have done a project on research topic...i had sent my research paper in IEEE,,but it was rejected there,,,,,,,,now i want to know...