Solutions to CE Mock Aptitude Test - 5

1. An article is sold by Frank at a gain of 10%. If it had been brought at 8% less and sold it for Rs 2 less, he would have gained 16 2/3 %. The cost price of the article is
Answers

75 (Answer)
None of the above

2. David obtained 76, 65, 82, 67 and 85 marks (out of 100) in English, Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology. What are his average marks?
Answers

75 (Answer)
None of these

3. The difference between a number and its 3/5th is 50. What is the number?
Answers

125 (Answer)
None if these

4. If 45 ñ [28 ñ {37 ñ (15 - *)}] = 58 then * is =
Answers

+19 (Answer)
+29

5. The sum of the following series : 1+5+3+9+5+13+7+17+. . . . to 30 terms is :
Answers

720 (Answer)

6. The equation of a straight line having a slope of a and passing through the point ( 1/a≤ , 2/a) is
Answers

a≤x ñ ay -1 = 0
a≤x ñ ay +1 = 0 (Answer)
a≤x + ay +1 = 0
a≤x + ay ¨- 1 = 0

7. The seven digit numbers without digit one in their decimal representations constitute what percentage of all seven digit number?
Answers

20%
50% (Answer)
35%
80%

8. Ramesh is younger than Rahul by 4 years. If their ages are in the respective ratios of 7 : 9, how old is Ramesh ?
Answers

None of these (Answer)

9. In a school, 100 students choose Hindi as an optional subject and 70 French & Sanskrit each. Of these , 63 choose Hindi only, 47 French only, 12 Hindi & French only and 6 French & Sanskrit only. The number of students who choose all the three subjects is:
Answers

5 (Answer)

10. The digit in the units place in the square root of 15876 is
Answers

6 (Answer)

11. Read the following passage and answer the questions (11 to 15) accordingly.

What is intelligence , anyway ? When I was in the Army I received a kind of aptitude test that all soldiers took and, against a normal of 100 , scored 160. No one at the base had ever seen a figure like that and for two hours they made big fuss over me. (It didn't mean anything. The next day I was still a buck private with KP as my highest duty.)

All my life I've been registering scores like that , so that I have the complacent felling that I'm highly intelligent, and I expect other people to think so, too.Actually, though ,don't such scores simply mean that I am very good at answering the type of academic questions that are considered worthy of answers by the people who make up the intelligence tests-people with intellectual bents similar to mine?

I had an auto repairman once, who on these intelligence tests, could not possibly have scored more than 80 , by my estimate.I always took it for granted that I was far more intelligent than he was. Yet, when anything went wrong with my car I hastened to him with it, watched him anxiously as he explored its vitals, and listened to his pronouncements as though they were divine oracles and he always fixed my car.

He had a habit of telling me jokes whenever he saw me. once time he raised his head from automobile hood to say : " Doc, a deaf-and-dumb guy went into a hardware store to ask for some nails. He put two fingers together on the counter and made hammering motions with the other hand. The clerk brought him hammer.He shook his head and pointed to the two fingers he was hammering. The clerk brought him nails. He picked our the sizes he wanted and left. Well doc, the next guy who came in was blind man. He wanted scissors. How do you suppose he asked for them? "

Indulgently, I lifted my right hand and made scissoring motions with my first two fingers. Whereupon the auto repairman laughed raucously and said , " Why, you dumb jerk, he used his voice and asked for them." Then he said smugly , "I've been trying that on all my customers today." " Did you catch many?" I asked. "Quite a few." He said. "But I knew for sure I'd catch you." "Why is that?" I asked. "Because you are so ... educated ,doc, I knew you couldn't be very smart."

And I have an uneasy feeling he had something there.

The Central idea of the passage is :

Answers

Intelligence cannot be quantified.
You are not expected to be too intelligent if you want to serve in the Army.
Intelligence is hard to define. (Answer)
Educated people are not smart.

12. How does the author interpret his high scores on aptitude tests?
Answers

He takes them as proof that he is intelligent.
He realizes that he is very good at answering the academic questions on these test prepared by people who have the same kind of academic bent as he has. (Answer)
He expects to be treated superior that the rest.
None of above

13. The author's encounter with auto repairman illustrates :
Answers

that the author is dumb.
that the author is not as smart as he think he is.
that intelligence is very difficult to define. (Answer)
educated people are not smart.

14. The tone of passage is
Answers

educative (Answer)
aggressive
pensive
cautionary

15. Select a suitable title for the passage :
Answers

The Truth About Aptitude Tests.
Intelligence and Me! (Answer)
You are more dumber than you think you are!
None of the above.

16. Choose the option that expresses a relationship similar to the one shown by the question pair.
MUFFLE : SOUND : :
Answers

dampen : enthusiasm (Answer)
resolve : quandary
resent : intrusion
deceive : vision

17. DEFUNCT : LIFE : :
Answers

rotund : size
radiant : light
chaotic : order (Answer)
general : relevancy

18. BANDOLIER : BULLET : :
Answers

stirrup : saddle
helmet : motorcycle
epaulet : shoulder
palette : paint (Answer)

19. Fill in the following sentences with appropriate word from suggested four alternative.

The gorgeous May Queen and her beautiful court made a dazzling assemblage of ______ at the Carnival.
Answers

hew
pulchritude (Answer)
visage
exoticism

20. She can't make for a mellifluous singer, her voice is too ______ .
Answers

rambling
raspy (Answer)
propitious
philistine

21. A three digit number is such that , the hundredís digit is equal to itís unit digit. The tenís digit is one more than the unitís digit or hundredís digit.Find the number, if the sum of the digits of the number is 22
Answers

787 (Answer)

22. The sum of a number and its reciprocal is equal to 101/10. Find the number.
Answers

10 (Answer)

23. The ratio of salay of Mrinal for 3 months is 6: 9: 10. If the salary of the second month is Rs. 14400 more than the salary of the first month, what is the total salary of 3 months
Answers

1,20000 (Answer)

24. Which of the following numbers is divisible by 24?
Answers

3384 (Answer)

25. If the weight of A is 50% more than that of B, then by what % is the weight of B less than A?
Answers

28%
27%
33.33% (Answer)
50%

26. The price of 1 Kg of rice costed Rs. 15 in the year 1999. It has risen to Rs. 18 in the year 2000. What is the % increase in its price?
Answers

20% (Answer)
25%
16.66%
33.33%

27. In how many years will a sum of money become 16 times itself at 30 % p.a. simple interest?
Answers

50 (Answer)

28. The total marks scored by 5 boys and 7 girls is 520. If each girl scored 45 marks on an average, find the average marks scored per boy?
Answers

41 (Answer)

29. A works 4 times as fast as B. If B completes a job in 60 days, then in how many days can A and B together complete the same job?
Answers

12 (Answer)

30. How many seconds will a train running at a speed of 54kmph cross a man standing on a platform given that the train is 150 m long?
Answers

10 (Answer)

31. Find the area of a circle which has a chord of length 8 cm and is at a distance of 3 cm from the centre of the circle.
Answers

50p sqcm
100 p sqcm
25 p sq.cm (Answer)
100 sq.cm

32. The number of 4 digit number in the decimal system is
Answers

9000 (Answer)

33. Find the side of a cube formed by melting a cuboid of dimensions 36cm◊24cm◊16cm.
Answers

16 cm
24 cm (Answer)
28 cm
38 cm

34. If a number is chosen from the set { 1, 2, 3, ÖÖÖÖ..,56} , then the probability that the chosen number is a multiple of 9 is
Answers

1/28
3/28 (Answer)
1/27
9/17

35. In how many ways can 4 letters be posted into 6 letter boxes?
Answers

1296 (Answer)

36. A party of four persons is to be selected from eight hindus, three muslims so as to include atleast one muslim . The possible number of ways are
Answers

260 (Answer)

37. What sum of money, if put out at 4% simple interest will amount to Rs 560 in 3 years?
Answers

500 (Answer)

38. A rectangle of perimeter 40 units is given. Then its greatest possible area is :
Answers

96 sq. units
91 sq. units
100 sq. units (Answer)
110 sq. units

39. If the roots of equation ( b-c)x≤+ (c-a)x +(a-b)=0 are equal , then a,b,c are in :
Answers

A. P (Answer)
G . P
H .P
None of these

40. The difference between the place value & the face value of 6 in the numeral 856973 is :
Answers

5994 (Answer)
None of these

Replies

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    The first 3 toppers are:

1. CEan-CIVILPRINCESS (152/200)
    2. CEan-Issue (124/200)
    3. CEan-Shaikroohi (105/200)
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    36. A party of four persons is to be selected from eight hindus, three muslims so as to include atleast one muslim . The possible number of ways are
    Answers

260 (Answer)
    solution for this please 😀
  • RajdeepCE
    RajdeepCE
    Here is my scorecard, happy to score that much without atending english verbals. Next time will give it try and will be early for test 😁

MyTest
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    7. The seven digit numbers without digit one in their decimal representations constitute what percentage of all seven digit number?
    Answers

20%
    50% (Answer)
    35%
    80%
    this problem also... 😀
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Suppose we take only one Muslim.
    No. of selections of Muslims = 3C[SUB]1[/SUB] = 3
    No. of selections of Hindus = 8C[SUB]3[/SUB] = 56

When we select 2 Muslims and 2 Hindus,
    number of ways of selecting Muslims = 3C[SUB]2[/SUB] = 3
    number of ways of selecting Hindus = 8C[SUB]2 [/SUB]= 28
    No. of parties = 28 X 3 = 84

When we take 3 Muslims and 1 Hindu,
    number of ways of selecting Muslims = 3C[SUB]3[/SUB] = 1
    number of ways of selecting Hindus = 8C[SUB]1 [/SUB]= 8
    No. of parties = 8

Total no. of parties = 168+ 84 + 8 = 260

Total no, of ways of having at least 1 Muslim = Total no. of ways - all are Hindus = 11C[SUB]4[/SUB] - 8C[SUB]4[/SUB]
    = 260
  • eshwar.k.gre8
    eshwar.k.gre8
    another Oosum test
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    @akd: super! 😀
  • Shobhan Mankad
    Shobhan Mankad
    solution for Q. 25, 28 ?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Anybody here to solve the above doubts? Or only I am here to post solutions? 😐

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Wish you a many more happy returns of the day :myparty: Have a great year ahead! 🎉🎉 How are you gonna celebrate your birthday?
Credenz 2011 is a National level Technical Symposium organized by the PICT- Pune Institute of Computer Technology IEEE Student Branch, during 16-18 September 2011. Credenz revolves around the idea to...
hi....hi..im new to CE,CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT HERE
Hello folks! We have a CEan who is - an Illustrator, an Eternal thinker, a Blogger, a Webcomic author, a Web designer. He also makes fun with bicycling alone and...
​Eligibility Criteria: BE / B.Tech / ME / M.Tech / MCA / MSc (Computer Science / Electronics / Mathematics / Physics / Statistics / Information Technology / Information Science) only​...