5 Great New Features in Ubuntu 9.10

1) Ubuntu Software Center

To open the Software Center, click Applications > Ubuntu Software Center. You can find close to 2,200 different pieces of software to install in 12 categories: Accessories, Education, Games, Graphics, and Other.

[​IMG]

All you need to do is double click one of the categories and then double click an application in the list. You get a button labeled Install. When you click Install, you're asked for the root password (required to install software in Linux), and then the Software Center installs the package and any other software on which the application depends.

2) Ubuntu One Client

[​IMG]

3) Updated software

version 2.6.31 of the Linux kernel. This is the latest version of the kernel, and offers more security, better startup and shutdown (more on that in a moment), better performance from graphics cards, and improved security.

GNOME desktop as its graphical user interface, Ubuntu 9.10 includes version 2.28 and is more stable

4) Faster booting and shutdown

5) Encrypted home directory

Your home directory (for example, /home/sarvesh) is your own personal space in the Linux file system. That's where you store your files, etc. If you're installing Ubuntu 9.10 and not just upgrading, you can encrypt your home directory (and the home directories of any users you add during installation). This is done by slapping something called eCryptfs (a secure file system) on top of the home directory.
You can now apply eCryptfs with a graphical interface during installation.

Replies

• yadavundertaker mohit
    yadavundertaker mohit
    i don't think it is fast after booting as compared to 9.04...and also there is no progress bar in 9.10.....
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm wondering whether we can customize Ubuntu to give it CE look 😉
  • Mahesh Dahale
    Mahesh Dahale
    The_Big_K
    I'm wondering whether we can customize Ubuntu to give it CE look 😉
    Guide to customizing Ubuntu’s look and feel | Linux Owns
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    mahesh_dahale
    Guide to customizing Ubuntu’s look and feel | Linux Owns
    Someone should work on it 😁
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, customization of Ubuntu was part of the plan for the CE Linux program 😀 The CE Linux team has started compiling a list of programs that should be included in the distribution.
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    Well it seems great we can also chip in ash
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    yadavundertaker
    i don't think it is fast after booting as compared to 9.04...and also there is no progress bar in 9.10.....
    Ubuntu's developers have done quite a bit of work to pare down the amount of time it takes for your system to start up.

Well it is important to note that the mileage may vary for different computers

It takes less time than before to startup or shutdown and the difference may not be largely significant but it is.

And for the case of after booting I can't say much

Well other CEans if any use Ubuntu's latest offering can tell us whether or not the performance has increased

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

1. Size - One of the primary differences between netbooks and notebooks is their size. Netbooks are generally 12 inches or smaller, while notebooks are typically much larger. 2. Power...
Sir / madam, My question is Two machines can produce P & Q Products independently. Each machine can work for 8 hours each day. The time taken by each machine...
Folks, I am looking for a blower to produce a flow of ~150cfm (~4m^3/min) while pumping H2 pressurized at ~40bar. The blower needs to provide a pressure increase of ~5bar....
Sir / madam, My question is A top level class may have only the following access modifier. Select one correct answer. a. package b. friendly c. private d. public Advance...
The ageing disorder and Amitabh Bachchan's look in Paa have been compared to Robin Willams' Jack and Brad Pitt's The Curious Case of Benjamin Button. But those superficial similarities aside,...