Strategies which led to success!

Dear CEans,
In a friendly discussion with fellow member Manish (a.k.a goyal420), we were talking about the importance of engineers to know more and more about strategies, especially business strategies. At-least knowing them (if not doing MBA) will be an asset for the engineering career. So, we thought, why not create a separate thread for this purpose? Why not let us all share whatever knowledge we have, novice or expert ones! We all know the fact that we have a good amount of MBA engineers here! So, lets start this thing and lets keep moving!
Let me start with something which has happened in India a few months before!
For the first time, an Indian company showed its interest in expecting very less from its customers in a particular field. They charged the customer for just what they used, they brought out the pay per second plan for mobile usage. Tata Docomo. The best example to the Vedic saying "Don't think of results, just do your work, expect nothing, just do it." And look what they have achieved! They made a big hit in record time, and now, everyone's just following their idea, just to stay up and save their faces in the market!
Please comment on this one and do correct me. And please bring out the ideas and strategies which you have seen, heard.

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Tata DoCoMo only solved the problem that made customers pay for what they didn't use. At 1p/second, TATA DOCOMO's is still making money as they already have an established network. It's similar to renting out a house. DoCoMo has a big technology advantage (in my opinion) as they're backed by Japanese NTT.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    But what was brought into the perception of the common man was in the lines of what I commented(at-least that is what I think). That is the reason why they clicked well.
    Nice observation Big K, personally, I didn't think in that way! This is the reason why the thread has been started, to analyse all the strategies, which have been a success, to bring out the myth and realities about them!.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Thanks for this thread aj

One of the most common and oldest buisness strategy initiated by microsoft ie to sell items free of cost to make their product popular among all.

this is very efficient strategy and it works almost 80% .
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    I am actually jumbled with the topic.
    Are we discussing the marketing strategies for a business or the ways that build a successful entrepreneur and his/her enterprise?
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    We are here to discuss the various market strategies which has led to the success of products, companies and even people behind it. Thanks for your concern AKD.
    By doing this, by doing a good analysis, we can bring out the ways to build a successful entrepreneur.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I can't say much in terms of experience, but I guess there are many ways to be successful. It all depends on what you aim to sell, who your market is, and the current market conditions. It might be cool to be gung ho and radical with your strategies, but I'd rather try to balance it with being smart and careful.

Funny thing about the per-second billing. That was introduced quite a while back in Malaysia by one of the telcos, but did not prove popular amongst consumers. People here probably needed a greater (or more useful) product differentiation feature to be enticed to switch mobile telco providers. Other telcos knew this, so they didn't bother to follow suit. Seeing how they didn't increase market share (and incurred losses), the original telco scrapped the package after a couple of years. Now its all about the 3G data services: reliability, coverage, and competitive rates.

I'm guessing if a new entrepreneur wants to enter the communications market, the key is with VoIP! If there are minimal government restrictions on internet voice traffic, there are hardly any barriers to entry for him/her.
  • aj_onduty
    aj_onduty
    Under construction! Please view after sometime
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, I didn't think I was theorizing. Was just stating how market is already like 😛 The VoIP example is what is happening around the world when there are government restrictions (eg UAE) compared to other countries, and how entrepreneurs have to adapt to these conditions. Isn't this part of the idea of discussing in this thread?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I just love the look of CE using uBuntu font in uBuntu 10.10. I wonder we've anyone else using uBuntu 10.10 and the Firefox default font set to uBuntu?
hi, can anybody suggest me some good algorithms or paper for generation of nonce such that the nonce can be generated using time value i.e. at a particular time, by...
Hi everyone, I have finalized my project, that is a device to count the number of vehicles entering a building from but it need to be wireless. From the main...
Hello friend's, Anybody have idea how to create a bootable disk from our installed OS. Like suppose i have installed ubuntu 10.04 LTS on my pc and i waant to...
I have done the following code for binary search.But all the time Its showing match not found even if the number is present in the array😔 Dim a As Integer...