Career Design

I wanted your take on this guys.

How many of us s take time out and decisively plan our careers ahead?

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Well ! I plan for my career only when I get lot of free time. When I don't get time means my career don't need any plans. Simple. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    So do you mean to say that planning your career only comes to mind when you have nothing else to do? Should it not receive a higher priority? Please discuss guys, I want your views on this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I did. I only missed out on the timing part of it as things didn't go as I expected (thanks to Murphy)

I've always wanted to do 'something on my own' but had no clue what to do. So I followed the crowed prepared for GRE & CAT and faired terribly bad before realizing that I was not following my dream.

But then, 'the dream' thing, itself, wasn't very clear. I got a job in a software company and worked as a software engineer for almost 4 years realizing every day that I was being underutilized ๐Ÿ˜ I could be doing much more (and exciting stuff) if I had a chance to do so. But I had to create the 'chance' for myself as no one else would let me eat free lunch.

In the mean time; CE happened to me. That was the point I 'planned' my career. The plan was to quit my job once I start making enough to manage my necessary expenses/month.

I think one can only plan his/her career when (s)he is absolutely sure of what (s)he wants from the future.

Umm, makes sense?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    kidakaka
    So do you mean to say that planning your career only comes to mind when you have nothing else to do? Should it not receive a higher priority? Please discuss guys, I want your views on this.
    Yep ! you are right ๐Ÿ˜€ and I believe majority do it at that time only right?

Ok tell me 1 thing what you do when you have planned your career and you are going very well accroding to planned things? Do you still think about career? ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Hmmm, it does. If you do not know what you want to become, then how will you become? For the journey to start one should know the destination.

That's what I was saying. I see a lot of people meandering aimlessly in their careers simply because they have no guidelines, maps and destinations in mind. Its the notion that travel = progress ... yes you are going ahead, but are you going ahead on the right path?

And which path is right for you? That introspection into yourself is very much needed. (I am sounding too philosophical, I know)

So how many of us take time off and go through this exercise?
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    There is two way of taking it, If you are going good with your career you do not takes pain to think more and more about it. Also, this hold true till you realise that in near future you will be working good with your current career path. The day you realised that in future your career will be in danger you start thinking about alternatives.

Second is about dreams, everybody had a dream to do/follow a particular path in career, as biggi wanted to become entarprenaur and he did.

-CB
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    shalini_goel14
    Ok tell me 1 thing what you do when you have planned your career and you are going very well accroding to planned things? Do you still think about career? ๐Ÿ˜‰
    The Rinse-Repeat-Iterate approach is what you do ๐Ÿ˜€. And yes, I still think about my career. If we dont, then all of us would reach a level of stagnation, where the question running in our minds would be - "What next?"

If this question has popped into your mind, then stop and try plotting your career. It worked for me. Working as a Software Developer day in day out, I realized that there had to be something more, the point where my peers and seniors started giving me suggestions. If this sounds all too familiar for you, then stop and think ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    crazyboy
    The day you realised that in future your career will be in danger you start thinking about alternatives.
    At the risk of sounding like a computer nerd, CB what you said is like DFS with backtracking ... wherein you try going to your solution until you come to a dead-end. Then you backtrack and switch tracks. All computer engineers worth their salt know that such an algo is not an Optimal Algorithm.

What needs to be done here is a BFS wherein you constantly find your options and evaluate all of them. Trust me guys (especially those who are thinking of an MBA), these skills will help you further.
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    kidakaka
    Hmmm, it does. If you do not know what you want to become, then how will you become? For the journey to start one should know the destination.

That's what I was saying. I see a lot of people meandering aimlessly in their careers simply because they have no guidelines, maps and destinations in mind. Its the notion that travel = progress ... yes you are going ahead, but are you going ahead on the right path?

And which path is right for you? That introspection into yourself is very much needed. (I am sounding too philosophical, I know)

So how many of us take time off and go through this exercise?

Oh boy!!!

You were not sounding philosophical, your statements were perfectly making sense. But the thing is how to decide how much time we should take for introspection into ourselve.

One can not leave the job for just taking time what he / she needs to do in future. Any in any case, if we are just blindly working and working then too we do have some aspirations that after 10 years I want to see myself at this post. Don't we?

-CB
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I know what I have to do and I know no one can stop me from reaching my goal. I have set a long term goal. To reach there I have broken my path into several short paths and I complete them one at a time. As I make progress I keep on adding new things to my long term goal, always making sure that I never reach it, because as soon as I make some appreciable progress, I raise the bar further. It keeps me motivated to keep going because I fear as soon as I reach my goal I may become stagnant and may stop trying. People work for something they do not have, so I just make sure that I lack something.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good going, patty. Wish you all the best.

@ Kidakaka: We do see lot of people who just have no clue what they want. We've even had queries on CE asking whether one should go for MBA or M-Tech or MS. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    @Biggie - my question came from that point itself!!

Why are people so confused? Is there not a tool/method that they can use (if they dont want to think it through for themselves) for getting those answers? Since those answers lie within you as it is!!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    kidakaka

Why are people so confused? Is there not a tool/method that they can use (if they dont want to think it through for themselves) for getting those answers? Since those answers lie within you as it is!!
    That question haunted me for a long time too - why are people so confused. I bet you've come across kids who were vacillating between 'Engineering' & 'Medicine' as career option! ๐Ÿ˜’

Is this the situation specific to youth in India? What's is like in various parts of the world?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Kidakada your views are excellent.

I believe in one thing , if the individual realizes what he want he will surely get it.
    But people here across the world has excuses.
    For eg. if Mr.A wants to be an Enterprenuer and he is getting a salary of some 30k permonth for 2 years and then he gets married and he is bound to all the responsibilities.
    So his dream dont become true.
    So many people are there like that.
    And regarding the Kids in India its not to blame kids its to blame the parents and the neighbours as if a boy passes his SSC then he will have 1000 people suggesting him MPC /BiPC they will not allow him to choose it instead they confuses him and that lasts for ever in that kid even if is going for MBA or MS.

PS. i have seen , spoken to many people and came to this opinion.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    kidakaka;60764 Is there not a tool/method that they can use (if they dont want to think it through for themselves) for getting those answers? Since those answers lie within you as it is!![/quote
    Well, for this long time back I saw a site where there was an online test kind of thing for career guidance. Though now I forgot that site but yes their work was to collect money and help people from students to professionals in making career related decisions based on our OWN answers for few questions. I liked their concept of giving decisions.

Now two questions is going in my mind:

1. Why do people who do graduation in technical fields(eg. BE or BTech guy) opts for MBA (non technical field) rather than going for technical areas (liek MTch or MS) ? If they were supposed to go for MBA only tehn why did they opted for BE or BTech for graduation not any BBA kind courses(they could save their 1 year right ?)

2. Why do people need to make career as an important part in their life. Why don't they enjoy life ?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    kidakaka

I Guess they are confused as they really dont know to follow the crowd or just follow the instincts, With such a high rate of competition goign around, peolpe actaulyl prefer to follow the c rowd to be safe, as they are really unsure what is for them if they follow instincts. For eg, take the very example,,, why only MS or MBA why not, phd or scientific research? Because its only these two what every ones doing, no one says" I need to do PHD" please tell me how"

why only MNCs why not the other not so famous but nice cooperates.. i beelive people get highly confused of what to do and whats best frothem.

As far as my plan goes, I have a goal in my mind, but I know it will be long ebough beofre its turns inti reality,, so till then just try reaching for it ๐Ÿ˜€
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    shalini_goel14
    1. Why do people who do graduation in technical fields(eg. BE or BTech guy) opts for MBA (non technical field) rather than going for technical areas (liek MTch or MS) ? If they were supposed to go for MBA only tehn why did they opted for BE or BTech for graduation not any BBA kind courses(they could save their 1 year right ?)

2. Why do people need to make career as an important part in their life. Why don't they enjoy life ?
    answer:
    1. people might opt for MBA once done with engineering as they woudl prefer to go into techincal management.
    If you consider a teleocm , having knowedge of communciations along with business requirements is needed.
    You cannot have the manageral skills or you cannot do your estimations for business if you are onyl techincal perosn. You neeed to have understadnign of both.

Tell me, expect your manager to understadn what you say right? for me atleast yes!
    I waould expect my manager o understadn what is ay, rather thn just musing whne I say

2. Every one wishes to be succesfull. For many success is when theya re happy. though money canot buy successful as told by millions, it can definlty buy 'THINGS' which makes you happy.
    So in one line you need money to live in this materialistic world.

Call me money minded,, but yes thats the reason for many to have good careers. ๐Ÿ˜€ very few work for passion build carrers for passion.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    @Durga Thanks for answering my Question#1 well. Now I see why do people go for MBA after BTech though I believe a BTech exceptional case guy can handle technical management very well as we are taught few management subjects also during our engineering course. Why do that technical guy need to spend two more years for learning management(Oh sorry not for learning just for getting a degree rather) Very rare cases , learn anything.

Coming to Question#2, I don't understand why you put money in between when I was talking about career and life.[May be your career is money-based๐Ÿ˜› ..just kidding ] Am still expecting better answers for this.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Shalini:
    You must choose the right career in order to be able to enjoy life. Career decision, I believe is one of the most important decisions one must take in life.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    You must choose the right career in order to be able to enjoy life. Career decision, I believe is one of the most important decisions one must take in life.

What is the difference between career and aim? For enjoying life , why one need to go for career, Why not enjoy based on his/her aim?
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    shalini_goel14
    What is the difference between career and aim? For enjoying life , why one need to go for career, Why not enjoy based on his/her aim?
    Career - is the professional side of you.
    Aim - is what you want to do. (the purpose) And you know what funny, the purpose keeps on changing ... once you get there, you always want more. SO I can have a purpose of passing my engineering - which is linked to a purpose of having a good career ahead.

For enjoying life, you dont NEED a career. For reaching your aim, you do need a career. Think it through Shalini.

e.g - Where does the food on the table come from? Income - which comes from your job/business aka your career. So now what are you going to enjoy? The career (which is a constant) or the aim (which is always transient).
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Well answered kidakaka Sir. ๐Ÿ˜€ Liked your answer. Anyways my career part is over, and for achieving my aim I need only money but unfortunately for earning money I still need to keep running after career.๐Ÿ˜”

But I have one more question what will you say about those people whose aim in life is just to pass their life happily and getting everything for free fund, may be from the money or resources that their ancestors had earned enough for them. How come such people need career in their life?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I guess this discussion is going off track. Aim & Career are two different entities and should not be mixed.

For the people who just want to watch the seasons change while sitting on their bums; career is just something that keeps them busy for the major part of the day.

However, I'm yet to come across such a person. Everyone's got aims and aims in career but they could be smaller ones or bigger ones. It varies from person to person.

Back to original track; since I hope every crazy engineer here wants to make a difference to the world. Kidakaka's original question - how many of us here have taken out time to seriously think about career?
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Good answer kidakaka.

Career planning is concerned , i have aim in different field and career in another .
    But for the current career didnt plan much as it is going well.
  • Prasad Ajinkya
    Prasad Ajinkya
    Shalini, I have yet to meet such people (that's my good fortune) who just sit on their bums and wait for the money to come in. It is a very sad state of life, a parasite of sorts. I hope no one harbors such aspirations. My original question is not meant for them.

Sreeram, in case your aim is in one field and your career is in another, then the answer is quite obvious. You need to find a plan via which you move from your current career (and field) to the one where you want to be.
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Very true kidakaka.

I ma planning to move to that field in 3 years after my MBA

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am not sure how many of you are awared of it but cool information for people interested in robotics. right ? ๐Ÿ˜€ Check following links: Tokyo school to host...
CEans, We've successfully had meets in Pune, Mumbai, Hyderabad & Delhi. I think we can have better organization of our meets so that they are very useful and productive for...
โ€‹ Yes, technology tends to fall in price as it ages, but is the still-unreleased N97 prematurely getting on in the years or something? Did we miss that memo? Nokia...
Hello people , This thread is dedicated to the Open Source testing tool Selenium So people who worked on it share your ideas and people who dont know any thing...
Alrighty - let's generate innovative ideas to kill boredom ๐Ÿ˜› . Tell us what you do when you are terrifically, totally, really, really bored! I'll start - I'd either -...