How to create, run & manage your own website - Part III

Howdy!

This is the concluding part of the series that talks about creating, managing and running your own website. Let's have a brief overview of part I and II

In Part I: We discussed the basics of having your own website. Having your own domain, web space and bandwidth.

In Part II: We talked about different web hosting plans and content management systems and other software you might need to run your website.

Now, let's assume you have purchased your own domain, web space and installed the software you need to run the website. Now comes the most important part - managing your website. So pay attention, this will give you a peek into what it takes to run your website.

I'll classify this article into different sections with titles that give you an idea of what all is required. This not 100% perfect list; but it will surely give you a good start.

1. Traffic: The success of most of the website depends on how much traffic they drive. Traffic in simple terms the number of users a website attracts. Mind well; getting traffic to your website is no child's play. It requires lot of patience, time, efforts and learning to attract traffic to your website.

There are few rules to attract traffic -

a. Content: Unless you have unique content; it's almost impossible to attract visitors. You should always present your users with new and content which users find relevant.

b. SEO: This is short for Search Engine Optimization. In simple terms, it's about tweaks that you do in your website so that your website appears on first or at the most second page of popular search engines. This is a huge topic and lot of information is available on the Internet that might help you. Keep reading!

c. Word of mouth: Trust me, nothing beats word of mouth advertising. I've learned it over past three years. When your friends' friend tells his/her friend about your website - you've achieved something.

d. Regular update: No one wants to read the same content every time they visit your site. This is a painful task! But quite an important one.

2. Analysis: You must analyze your traffic. There are wonderful, free traffic analysis tools available. The leading free service is 'Analytics' by Google. Very simple to use and very useful. All you have to do is install a simple code provided by Analytics on your website and you're done. Google does the math for you.

3. Monetizing: I've been asked queries on how to monetize a website. Again, there are no short cuts to earning great sums of money. The simplest way to monetize your website is to subscribe to Google Adsense. Install their code on your website and you're done. There are many networks that may work for you. But above all - the direct advertisement works the best! 😀

4. Security: You can't ignore this one. Always have the latest version of software that you run on your website and harden the server. The security also depends on your web host. Always choose a good web host for your website. I'd pay more for a better host that provides better security than a cheaper host that does not pay lot of attention to site security.

These are the starters for you. There is lot of fun involved in running a website and watching it grow. Feel free to ask any queries you may have in our technical discussion sections. General queries may go in this thread.

I hope you enjoyed reading these articles and got information about what it takes to have your own website.

[​IMG]

Replies

• Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    @Big_K , if I want to go the long way ( so I can learn) to make a customised website and write the code myself, where should I begin learning from. I am a noob in these webdesigning and programming field.
    So can you advise me what to learn first and where to begin from as I think its much better to learn yourself than lamely depend on the Fantastico tool.
    Can you please guide me.
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    Waiting for response Big_K.??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rohan_SK - Accept my apologies. I totally missed your post.

The starting point should always be HTML for any wannabe web programmer. Once you start your journey with HTML, make friends with CSS & JavaScript as well.

However, your required level of learning depends on the type of website you want to build. Most modern websites today use PHP & MYSQL along with HTML, CSS, JavaScript.

Fantastico is only a script installer and it works very well. It saves you lot of time installing and configuring the web scripts. It only a time saver tool; not a replacement to web programming.

Let me know if this answers your questions. If you have further questions, I'll be happy to answer 😀
  • Rohan_sK
    Rohan_sK
    @ Big_K

Thanks a Lot buddy 😁, for replying back .
    Yes your answer has certainly given me insight on the topic and guided me with the way to start with the whole thing.

And Yep, I'll certainly let you know when I make my very own Website😛

Thanks once again!!
  • NIMISH PRABHU
    NIMISH PRABHU
    i think instead of making a website from scratch [writing codes]
    its better if we use the already made scripts
    also instead of making a general website and adding stuffs to it by manually writting html codes or doing some terrible manual work
    its a lot better to make a forum [phpbb is free][ipb and vbulletin are paid][i personally dont like other options]
    To add more one can make a forum on same theme as warez,downloads,chitchat,webmasters,wallpapers, etc.
    or u can stand out differently by making one of ur new ideas
    [a perfect example is like this forum][i dont any other forum made for engineers so excuse me if m wrong]
    the next option is making a blog
    one can always use the free service of blogspot or wordpress and just get a domain for himself and have fun 😛
    its the cheapest thing
    to decide what you have to do is upto you
    Thanks
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    The_Big_K=>
    can you give the more information about fourm site??
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    gg_gaurav
    The_Big_K=>
    can you give the more information about fourm site??
    By 'Forum Site', I'm guessing you want information about running an online forum, like CE.

Well, again, running a forum is similar to running a website. There are two ways to go about it -

1. Code your own forum : It's bit tricky. This one will surely take lot of time & efforts. But you can exactly have to suite your forum needs.

2. Open Source: PHPBB, SMF are leading forum software available for FREE! PHPBB is easy to setup and manage. A recommended starting point for everyone who wishes to run a forum 😀. Lately, BBPress [and add-on for Wordpress] is also gaining popularity among those who want to have a simple, open source functionality for their wordpress based website.

3. Commercial Software: vBulletin & Invision Power Board are the two leading forum software. Both are extremely capable, easy to manage & run.

Be aware that the biggest challenge in running a forum is gaining traffic & making users register. The second biggest challenge is having them actively contribute to the forum. The failure rate among forums is extremely high. As a forum administrator, you will have to come up with lots of innovative ways to make users visit your forum and be active on it. Especially in earlier days, it'll take at least 4-5 hours dedicated to building your forum & community.

I hope this answers your question. Let me know if you have further questions [​IMG]
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    thanks big k
    Can i creat any fourm site ? how? There is any site which allow to creat it on its domain?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
  • safwan
    safwan
    Biggie i had fun and i gained lot of information from all your post😛 and can you explain just about if we dont have website but we have blog and if we want to publish big filed for user to download (like qestion paper of board exames /answersheet of toppers) 😕

Proud to be
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Sure you can. Just upload them to file hosting services (lots of free ones are available) and make the link available for download through your blog.
  • safwan
    safwan
    Thanks biggie!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi, i'm an electronics and communication engg student, plz help me out with the seminar topics on latest and advance technology with details. thank you.
dear frnda at this time i m really confused😕😒 about seminars , i need some details about homogenious charge compression ignition engines . ultra gent
Hi, i am new here, so i dont know how this works. but i urgently need some help. i am planning to use a gas sensor MQ-135 for a project....
hi every body i need this reference water power engineering by m.m desmukh plz i need this reference ​
Will we see any more world-famous engineers from a multitude of disiplines that the mass public knows? Has specialization ended that trend of "Rennaisance engineers"? Will there be any more...