Has India Become The Dumpyard For Technology & Waste?

During my days of working as a software engineer when I was a new entrant in the corporate world, I'd often question why Indian software engineers do low-quality work than designing their own software & systems. <1% of the Indian software engineers are involved in hard core research & technology-development work. Now for the uninitiated, let me first inform you that working in 'Java' isn't same as developing 'Java' technology.

Same goes with the automobile sector. The more I understand about automobile sector in India, I don't see any 'innovation' or 'research' being put in design, development or modification of automobiles. When was the last time you heard an innovative design came from India? Don't give me DC Design's Avanti. It's just one exception. The country that produces 1000s of automobile & mechanical engineers should at least produce 10 innovative designs. No one really cared about modifying the cycle-rickshaws or railway engines or airplanes.

Communications sector is no different. The world got 3G 10 years ahead of India and now as the world moves towards 4G, India's struggling with proper 3G implementation.

Same goes with Mobile industry. I'm yet to know *one* Indian mobile company that develops their own innovative phones. Don't give me the popular names that import hardware from different parts and assemble them.

What's worse: The technology & waste discarded by the world has found place in India. Check this video of the story of bottled water.

All the plastic will be dumped in India!

Summary:

It's became apparent that India has became the technology and waste. CFCs based refrigeration was found to be harmful in Europe. So the companies doing business in CFC based refrigeration were sent to India and 'Refridgerators' were made popular. Those who do not know (and I discovered this recently!) that refridgerators actually damage food items more than preserving them!

Do you agree?

Replies

• vinci
    vinci
    actually India has developed techniques for recycling such wastes so it becomes a good business trend in India as it increases some foreign money for the country
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vinci
    actually India has developed techniques for recycling such wastes so it becomes a good business trend in India as it increases some foreign money for the country
    Are you serious? Could you tell me what recycling techniques India has developed that are more advance than those in the countries that send the dump? In either case, the plastic waste should *not* be recycled in India and if it is; it should be 'sold back' to the countries that are sending the dump.

Could you explain why does India need foreign money? (and at what cost?)
  • vinci
    vinci
    see #-Link-Snipped-# admin
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    vinci
    see #-Link-Snipped-# admin
    ...and which part of that article supports your point?

Quoting from the conclusion of the study -

The study concluded that two decades of economic growth since 1990 has changed the composition of Indian wastes, and that the quantity of MSW generated is increasing rapidly due to increasing population and change in lifestyles. Land is scarce and public health and environmental resources are precious.
    - India is already generating enough waste. The waste from other countries is 'adding' to the problem.
    The Government of India and local authorities should work with their partners to promote source separation, achieve higher percentages of recycling and produce high quality compost from organics.
    - Does not say India has developed mechanisms for better waste management.

Actually the whole article actually gives the numbers about the waste generated in India; but does not talk about solutions that have been developed to effectively manage it and turn it into something useful. The article does not mention that India has succeeded in completely taking care of the waste and generating income through it.

In either case, the article does not mention that India should be the hub for the waste management for the world. It's far from solving the issue of waste generated within India.
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    OFF-TOPIC

The_Big_K
    Those who do not know (and I discovered this recently!) that refridgerators actually damage food items more than preserving them!
    How? ๐Ÿ˜•
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Dancer_Engineer
    OFF-TOPIC
    How? ๐Ÿ˜•
    If you're really interested in the topic; head over to following link of eye-opening lectures by Late. Rajiv Dixit (An Engineer, Scientist turned Orator):

(Episode 1 / Part 1 Of Lecture delivered at Chennai, in Hindi)

No other orator in the world has inspired me personally more than Rajiv Dixit. The above link is the first part of the episode 1. If you like what you're listening, go by searching Episode 1-5 and Part 1-5 for each episode. Will make your eyes wide open. I'd also advise making a general search on YouTube with his name and listening to his lectures on other topics on India.

While there can be a very long post about how it damages the food; the basic law is that food needs to be consumed 'fresh' - within 48 hours after cooking and within a day after getting it from the farms. Rajiv Dixit explains it better. Go watch!
  • Dancer_Engineer
    Dancer_Engineer
    That is some really good information for me! ๐Ÿ˜€
    Have some questions in my mind, but maybe that could be discussed in some other thread.
    I heard only the first part of the oration, will definitely check the rest of the parts.
    And must say, that is one BIG report of 700 pages. ๐Ÿ˜
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    A Big Yes, no words to explain because of one simple reason "India is very much dependent on foreign trade and Indians are very much fond to foreign products."

If you out dated products, why should you bother "You can trade them for (some) period over here, come on." - I bet they can be called brands ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Rupam Das
    Rupam Das
    Some of the most important discoveries, be it Intel Chip, USB, Commercial Email ( And who can forget the Phd guide of Mr. Page in his research work to materialize the concept of very Google), CDMA is credited to Indians. You are valued more in Silicon valley if you posses a Computer Science Degree from IIT than say Harvard.

But interestingly enough, not many of these technologies is developed in India. Why? Say take our case. We do develop product. But Chances of the concept we are patenting to be widely accepted is a gamble. So we are putting money and labor for nothing at that moment. If it fails, we are under tremendous pressure. At the end of the day, you also need to look after your family!

When we approached few banks with our offer on commercializing few aspects of the technology we are working right now, even a $2k grant takes 6 months of follow up with banks or investment bankers. But if you are running a call center with order in hand, they are happy to lend you.

We will hardly ever reach to that situation of 'Creative Country' because of the mindset and economic constraints( Of course a traditional Indian mindset:=> we are historically being good servants)

So all the negative remarks or concerns===> YES to all.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Rupam Das
    But interestingly enough, not many of these technologies is developed in India. Why? Say take our case. We do develop product. But Chances of the concept we are patenting to be widely accepted is a gamble. So we are putting money and labor for nothing at that moment. If it fails, we are under tremendous pressure. At the end of the day, you also need to look after your family!
    I'd disagree with above comment. Patent isn't the reason. If you've a new concept, you can apply for the patent and that will make you eligible to claim it if someone else uses it without your consent.

Rupam Das
    When we approached few banks with our offer on commercializing few aspects of the technology we are working right now, even a $2k grant takes 6 months of follow up with banks or investment bankers. But if you are running a call center with order in hand, they are happy to lend you.
    That's the sad reality.

Rupam Das
    We will hardly ever reach to that situation of 'Creative Country' because of the mindset and economic constraints( Of course a traditional Indian mindset:=> we are historically being good servants)
    Strongly disagree. I've been delving into the past & history and the revelations are mind blowing! Indians were *never* servants throughout the history. In fact, they were researchers, scientists, thinkers & businessmen who nearly accounted for 1/3rd of Global exports. It's the British Rule that caused all the damage; which continues to haunt even today.
  • Naveen Rathee
    Naveen Rathee
    I think the problem is our education system, it focuses on making a labour force not a creative engineers. What we read in engineering is a syllabus in which technology are of mid 70s. An engineering student in India has just one aim in their degree- a placement. They do not emphasize on creativity.
    Talking about dumpyard of technology.even Indian companies are having two policies. For India product should be cheap, Quality does not matter. For other countries, product can be expensive but not cheap. Tata motors launched Nano in Indian market with no air bags while in England they launched it with air bags and many other features which are not available in Indian Nano.
    Other foreign companies launch their best products in Indian market 2-3 years after launch in developed countaries like USA. Samsung has launched a LED in USA , price Rs.13000 with features like wall mount and picture in picture , sleek design, inbuilt tu tuner card and many other features but in India, they did not launch the product even at higher price. In india they launched a LED at higher price with no feature. Cant type more i am on phone
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Naveen: The education system is not 'ours' (aka Indian) at all. It's the MacCaulay promoted education system that India didn't give up after 15 August 1947.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    About 30 years back there was a proposal to send the municipal waste from New York (the Big Apple, no less) to a pristine island off the west coast for disposal locally. A power plant to generate power from burning the waste was part of the proposal. A rosy picture of employment creation, power to the grid and more was presented to get approval. The power was free to the state and US$ 4/ton was to be the 'fee' for the Indian promoters.
    The project was referred to me for an opinion. Imagine: all kinds of biological waste with God knows what diseases landing off a till then unpolluted coast, to be unloaded by unsuspecting local untutored labour. Coming in the warm sun the bacteria with unlimited food would have had a field day multiplying!
    My strongly worded adverse report stopped that one.
    I would not be surprised if something similar was later on the cards.

We have enough waste of our own. Let us not import.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Bioramani: Thanks for posting this. Exactly my point!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Why do the cars that are sold in India (which are mostly European or Japanese designs) cause pollution in India, but not to that extent in their respective countries? โ˜•
  • Abhishek Swain
    Abhishek Swain
    I agree to what Big_k said. Over a year, India is producing >10 lac engineers but not able to take stuffs out of them. Indian brains remain underutilized in India.
  • aarthivg
    aarthivg
    Abhishek Swain
    I agree to what Big_k said. Over a year, India is producing >10 lac engineers but not able to take stuffs out of them. Indian brains remain underutilized in India.
    you are exactly right. we people only think about technology, but we never try to implement it.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Adsense publishers rejoice. Google has officially launched what's called 'Adsense Publisher Toolbar' (is not a toolbar actually, just a button) that will sit next to the omnibox on your Google...
Can anyone tell me what is the difference between De Morgans theorem and Principle of Duality?
Ok, quickly I'll just take 150 seconds from you. ๐Ÿ˜ One of my friends had once passed around a sheet of paper (divided into 2 columns) during a lecture and...
SRPThis concerns with the scope, application, seminars, conferences, research and anything else that is related to the field of Nanoscience and Technology.WOULD ANYBODY PLEASE LET ME KNOW ABOUT THE SEMINARS...
The next version of Internet Protocol will officially go live all over the globe on June 6, 2012. If you remember, June 8 was declared last year as the World...